'font-weight' problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Madame Blablavatsky, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. hello,

    i have a stylesheer with a 'font-weight' for a link:
    --------------------------------
    a:link {
    font-family: Verdana,
    Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: xx-small;
    font-style: normal;
    color: #FFFFFF;
    text-decoration: none;
    font-weight: 700;

    }
    ------------------------------------
    this works fine, so no problem there.
    but, i have another link that should not be bold.
    for this i use the code:

    ------------------------------------
    a.limburg:link {
    font-family: Arial;
    font-size: 12px;
    font-style: normal;
    color: #000000;
    text-decoration: underline;
    font_weight: 100;
    }
    -----------------------------------

    the problem is: the link with 'a.limburg:link' have also a 'font-weight' of
    700.
    how do i solve this problem?

    thanks

    Madame Blablavatsky, Jul 26, 2005

  2. Madame Blablavatsky

    xeno Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:41:04 +0200, "Madame Blablavatsky"
    <> wrote:

    >hello,
    >
    >i have a stylesheer with a 'font-weight' for a link:
    >--------------------------------
    >a:link {
    > font-family: Verdana,
    > Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    > font-size: xx-small;
    > font-style: normal;
    > color: #FFFFFF;
    > text-decoration: none;
    > font-weight: 700;
    >
    >}
    >------------------------------------
    >this works fine, so no problem there.
    >but, i have another link that should not be bold.
    >for this i use the code:
    >
    >------------------------------------
    >a.limburg:link {
    > font-family: Arial;
    > font-size: 12px;
    > font-style: normal;
    > color: #000000;
    > text-decoration: underline;
    > font_weight: 100;
    >}
    >-----------------------------------
    >
    >the problem is: the link with 'a.limburg:link' have also a 'font-weight' of
    >700.
    >how do i solve this problem?

    Because you used a underscore instead of a - ? :)

    xeno, Jul 26, 2005

  3. > Because you used a underscore instead of a - ? :)

    > > font-weight: 700;

    > > font_weight: 100;

    yes, you are right it is a very stupid mistake. I have changed it and it
    workst fine.

    i just can't believe it....................maybe it is time i get some fresh
    air.

    thanks

    Madame Blablavatsky, Jul 26, 2005
  4. Madame Blablavatsky

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Madame Blablavatsky wrote:
    >> Because you used a underscore instead of a - ? :)
    >>
    >>> font-weight: 700;
    >>> font_weight: 100;

    > yes, you are right it is a very stupid mistake. I have changed it and it
    > workst fine.
    >
    > i just can't believe it....................maybe it is time i get some fresh
    > air.
    >
    > thanks

    why the css validator <URL: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ > is
    such a great tool ;)

    Jedi Fans, Jul 26, 2005
  5. Woolly Mittens, Jul 26, 2005
  6. Woolly Mittens wrote:
    > Jedi Fans wrote:

    >> why the css validator <URL: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ > is
    >> such a great tool ;)

    > If you abhorn human interaction. =^.^=

    Is that something cattle do?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 27, 2005
  7. "Madame Blablavatsky" <> wrote:

    >> > font-weight: 700;

    >> > font_weight: 100;

    > yes, you are right it is a very stupid mistake. I have changed it and it
    > workst fine.

    Does it really? On which browser? The declaration
    font-weight: 100
    should make the font weight considerably smaller than normal, i.e. make the
    lines of characters very thin. All browsers I've seen fail to do so for any
    font I've tried, effectively treating 100 through 300 as equivalent to 400
    (= normal). Admittedly they _may_ do so; this is a matter of quality of
    implementation rather than conformance.

    But I would change it to
    font-weight: normal
    unless you really want to take the risk, or chances, that some future
    browsers, with better-quality CSS support, will treat font-weight: 100
    according to its definition.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 2, 2005