    and pleasing fonts for linux/Mac.

    Best regards,
    Animesh
    Animesh Kumar, Jun 4, 2005

  2. Animesh Kumar wrote:

    > Hello All:
    >
    > I designed a page using CSS and I used georgia font for the text.
    >
    > http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~animesh/poetry/gif/bhari_anjuri_d.htm
    >
    > While georgia is pleasing to read on the monitor in windows, it shows up
    > as default font in linux computers, at least in the Fedora Core I tried.
    >
    > I did a google for "web-safe fonts" and "linux safe fonts" but I am not
    > getting good articles. It will be good if someone can point out backup
    > and pleasing fonts for linux/Mac.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Animesh

    Georgia is a beautiful font which suits some pages, but you will have to
    specify alternatives. I have checked some of my pages to see the font
    definitions:

    Try:

    font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;

    or:

    font: 160% Georgia, Arial, Serif;

    These should look /relatively/ consistent.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Jun 4, 2005

  3. Animesh Kumar

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Animesh Kumar wrote:

    > While georgia is pleasing to read on the monitor in windows, it shows up
    > as default font in linux computers, at least in the Fedora Core I tried.

    Georgia is a lovely font and shows up just as nicely on Linux computers as
    Windows computers, assuming that the computer has Georgia installed! (Mine
    does.)

    Try something like...
    font-family: "Georgia", "Bitstream Vera Serif", "Times New Roman", serif;

    The Vera fonts come free with recent versions of GNOME, so will be
    installed by default on many recent Linux installations. The Vera Serif
    font looks quite similar to Georgia in many respects, so is a good backup.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jun 4, 2005
  4. Roy Schestowitz <> wrote:

    > Georgia is a beautiful font which suits some pages, but you will
    > have to specify alternatives.

    No you don't. You may. Just as you can omit font declarations
    completely. Users may see the page on their chosen default font.

    > font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;

    That's rather pointless. If Georgia is not available, what makes you
    think Times New Roman would be an improvement over the browser's
    default font? If Times New Roman is not available, the odds are that
    the user's system has only one font anyway.

    > font: 160% Georgia, Arial, Serif;

    That's much worse than pointless. You are just joking/trolling, right?

    > These should look /relatively/ consistent.

    Why would that matter? Do you think that users will compare the look of
    the page on different browsers and laugh at you if they are not
    "consistent"? (In that case, you have them good laugh. Surely Georgia
    and Arial are very different from each other _and_ from the system's
    default serif font.)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 4, 2005
  5. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz <> wrote:
    >
    >> Georgia is a beautiful font which suits some pages, but you will
    >> have to specify alternatives.

    > No you don't. You may. Just as you can omit font declarations
    > completely. Users may see the page on their chosen default font.

    True, but if the user wants his/her fonts to be used, there are ways to
    force it. The Webmaster often wants to impose certain looks, while the
    visitor wants something self-tailored and customised to personal
    preferences.

    >> font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;

    > That's rather pointless. If Georgia is not available, what makes you
    > think Times New Roman would be an improvement over the browser's
    > default font? If Times New Roman is not available, the odds are that
    > the user's system has only one font anyway.

    This is better than attempting a single font. You can try a whole stack of
    (what one considers) reasonable fonts. If none of these is found/used,
    that's fine too. I tested the above on a Mac, Linux boxes and different
    versions of Windows. I don't think it's too discriminatory.

    >> font: 160% Georgia, Arial, Serif;

    > That's much worse than pointless. You are just joking/trolling, right?

    No, I copied and pasted something from a site of mine and forgot to modify
    it. This corresponded to a story header which had to roughly fit within
    some fixed-width one-liner.

    >> These should look /relatively/ consistent.

    > Why would that matter? Do you think that users will compare the look of
    > the page on different browsers and laugh at you if they are not
    > "consistent"? (In that case, you have them good laugh. Surely Georgia
    > and Arial are very different from each other _and_ from the system's
    > default serif font.)

    That second example was a poor one. I should have omitted it altogether.
    *smile*

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz