fonts backup

Animesh Kumar

Hello All:

I designed a page using CSS and I used georgia font for the text.

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~animesh/poetry/gif/bhari_anjuri_d.htm

While georgia is pleasing to read on the monitor in windows, it shows up
as default font in linux computers, at least in the Fedora Core I tried.

I did a google for "web-safe fonts" and "linux safe fonts" but I am not
getting good articles. It will be good if someone can point out backup
and pleasing fonts for linux/Mac.

Best regards,
Animesh

Roy Schestowitz

Animesh said:
Hello All:

I designed a page using CSS and I used georgia font for the text.

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~animesh/poetry/gif/bhari_anjuri_d.htm

While georgia is pleasing to read on the monitor in windows, it shows up
as default font in linux computers, at least in the Fedora Core I tried.

I did a google for "web-safe fonts" and "linux safe fonts" but I am not
getting good articles. It will be good if someone can point out backup
and pleasing fonts for linux/Mac.

Best regards,
Animesh

Georgia is a beautiful font which suits some pages, but you will have to
specify alternatives. I have checked some of my pages to see the font
definitions:

Try:

font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;

or:

font: 160% Georgia, Arial, Serif;

These should look /relatively/ consistent.

Roy

Toby Inkster

Animesh said:
While georgia is pleasing to read on the monitor in windows, it shows up
as default font in linux computers, at least in the Fedora Core I tried.

Georgia is a lovely font and shows up just as nicely on Linux computers as
Windows computers, assuming that the computer has Georgia installed! (Mine
does.)

Try something like...
font-family: "Georgia", "Bitstream Vera Serif", "Times New Roman", serif;

The Vera fonts come free with recent versions of GNOME, so will be
installed by default on many recent Linux installations. The Vera Serif
font looks quite similar to Georgia in many respects, so is a good backup.

Jukka K. Korpela

Roy Schestowitz said:
Georgia is a beautiful font which suits some pages, but you will
have to specify alternatives.

No you don't. You may. Just as you can omit font declarations
completely. Users may see the page on their chosen default font.
font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;

That's rather pointless. If Georgia is not available, what makes you
think Times New Roman would be an improvement over the browser's
default font? If Times New Roman is not available, the odds are that
the user's system has only one font anyway.
font: 160% Georgia, Arial, Serif;

That's much worse than pointless. You are just joking/trolling, right?
These should look /relatively/ consistent.

Why would that matter? Do you think that users will compare the look of
the page on different browsers and laugh at you if they are not
"consistent"? (In that case, you have them good laugh. Surely Georgia
and Arial are very different from each other _and_ from the system's
default serif font.)

Roy Schestowitz

Jukka said:
No you don't. You may. Just as you can omit font declarations
completely. Users may see the page on their chosen default font.

True, but if the user wants his/her fonts to be used, there are ways to
force it. The Webmaster often wants to impose certain looks, while the
visitor wants something self-tailored and customised to personal
preferences.
That's rather pointless. If Georgia is not available, what makes you
think Times New Roman would be an improvement over the browser's
default font? If Times New Roman is not available, the odds are that
the user's system has only one font anyway.

This is better than attempting a single font. You can try a whole stack of
(what one considers) reasonable fonts. If none of these is found/used,
that's fine too. I tested the above on a Mac, Linux boxes and different
versions of Windows. I don't think it's too discriminatory.
That's much worse than pointless. You are just joking/trolling, right?

No, I copied and pasted something from a site of mine and forgot to modify
it. This corresponded to a story header which had to roughly fit within
some fixed-width one-liner.
Why would that matter? Do you think that users will compare the look of
the page on different browsers and laugh at you if they are not
"consistent"? (In that case, you have them good laugh. Surely Georgia
and Arial are very different from each other _and_ from the system's
default serif font.)

That second example was a poor one. I should have omitted it altogether.
*smile*

Roy