    Thanks,
    Shannon
    , Jul 25, 2007

  2. wrote:

    > Hi,

    You should stick to your existing thread...

    > I am looking for a font that will work with IE and Firefox that is
    > Cursive. Script doesn't work in both, neither does Lucinda
    > Handwriting. This is for a wedding website so I am looking for
    > something elegant.

    As you will have no idea what browser, operating system, or font
    installation any of your visitors will have/be using, there is no way
    you could pick any "specialty" font and expect success. You can
    "suggest" fonts, but if the visitors do not have them installed, their
    browsers will substitute something else, something they "think" might be
    a replacement. It is a crap shoot.

    I guess you saw my screen shot... here's another, using the OffByOne
    browser:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/show/merideth-obo.jpg

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 25, 2007

  3. Animesh K Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am looking for a font that will work with IE and Firefox that is
    > Cursive. Script doesn't work in both, neither does Lucinda
    > Handwriting. This is for a wedding website so I am looking for
    > something elegant.
    > Thanks,
    > Shannon

    Queen:

    The best method to get cursive fonts is as follows:

    1) Don't use cursive fonts everywhere (they are usually hard to read).

    2) For headings, like h1 elements etc, use

    <h1 id="cursive_text_1">Caption 1</h1>

    in html file and,

    #cursive_text_1{
    background: url(cursive_text_1_image_file) no-repeat;
    display: none;
    }

    in the CSS portion.

    3) Repeat for all the headings and title elements you have with
    different ids and background images.

    PS: This method is followed in ZenGarden's website and degrades
    gracefully when stylesheet is disabled, have a look here:

    http://csszengarden.com/?cssfile=/197/197.css&page=0
    Animesh K, Jul 25, 2007
  4. Bergamot Guest

    wrote:

    > I am looking for a font that will work with IE and Firefox

    There is no relationship between fonts and browsers.

    Fonts are installed on your visitor's box (PC, PDA, whatever). It
    doesn't matter what browser they use; all should give the same results
    *on that box*. Somebody else's box will likely have different fonts
    installed.

    > that is Cursive.

    I don't know of any cursive font that commonly installed on Windows and
    Mac, let alone Linux or any other OS you can think of. Even different
    versions of any given OS may well have different fonts.

    > Script doesn't work in both, neither does Lucinda
    > Handwriting.

    Define "doesn't work". Or are you looking at it from 2 different PCs?

    > This is for a wedding website so I am looking for
    > something elegant.

    Cursive fonts can be tolerable on screen in very small quantities and
    enlarged type sizes, like headings, but they can be hell to read for
    body text. Leave paragraph text plain serif or sans-serif if you want
    people to be able to actually read it and use a fancier font just for
    headings. Use graphics for headings if you must, but make sure you use
    appropriate alt text.

    BTW, I don't think Lucida Handwriting is particularly elegant. Lucida
    Calligraphy would be more so.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Jul 25, 2007
  5. I V Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:50:11 -0700, scmulqueen wrote:
    > I am looking for a font that will work with IE and Firefox that is
    > Cursive. Script doesn't work in both, neither does Lucinda
    > Handwriting. This is for a wedding website so I am looking for
    > something elegant.

    Well, you can specify more than one font, and the first one that's
    available will be used. So you can specify both Script and Lucida
    Handwriting, and other alternatives too:

    font-family: Script, "Ludica Calligraphy", "Lucida Handwriting", cursive;

    Note the "cursive" at the end there - that's a generic font family,
    specified by CSS; if the browser can't find any of the specific fonts you
    specify, "cursive" asks it to use whatever cursive font it has available.
    I V, Jul 25, 2007
  6. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am looking for a font that will work with IE and Firefox that is
    > Cursive. Script doesn't work in both, neither does Lucinda
    > Handwriting. This is for a wedding website so I am looking for
    > something elegant.
    > Thanks,
    > Shannon

    I know you want to be all weddingy but consider not being too
    fussy with fonts, it is difficult in websites to be wanting too
    much on this score. You can specify font-family: cursive; if you
    want and leave it to the user's browser to use the font that,
    formally speaking, is the user's choice for cursive fonts.
    Consider also simply using Arial or a standard easily readable
    font and bring in the dewy eyed stuff in the graphics, the easy
    readability of such being a statement of sensibleness in a sea of
    giddiness, an important element in a solid marriage.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 25, 2007
  7. Bergamot Guest

    Animesh K wrote:

    > #cursive_text_1{
    > background: url(cursive_text_1_image_file) no-repeat;
    > display: none;
    > }
    >
    > PS: This method is followed in ZenGarden's website and degrades
    > gracefully when stylesheet is disabled, have a look here:
    >
    > http://csszengarden.com/?cssfile=/197/197.css&page=0

    FYI zengarden isn't exactly the epitome of good design.

    You might want to try that URL again with image loading disabled. It
    degrades rather less well than you think.

    All image replacement methods have problems. Best not to use them, but
    stick with foreground images and applicable alt text.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Jul 26, 2007
  8. Animesh K Guest

    Bergamot wrote:
    > Animesh K wrote:
    >> #cursive_text_1{
    >> background: url(cursive_text_1_image_file) no-repeat;
    >> display: none;
    >> }
    >>
    >> PS: This method is followed in ZenGarden's website and degrades
    >> gracefully when stylesheet is disabled, have a look here:
    >>
    >> http://csszengarden.com/?cssfile=/197/197.css&page=0

    > FYI zengarden isn't exactly the epitome of good design.
    >
    > You might want to try that URL again with image loading disabled. It
    > degrades rather less well than you think.
    >
    > All image replacement methods have problems. Best not to use them, but
    > stick with foreground images and applicable alt text.

    I mentioned graceful degradation wrt the CSS file.

    I am assuming her friends will visit the wedding site and they will not
    reach the website to show "what is not working" but to enjoy some nice
    text-n-images related to the wedding. She isn't trying to make the next
    w3.org.
    Animesh K, Jul 26, 2007
  9. Bergamot Guest

    Animesh K wrote:
    > Bergamot wrote:
    >>
    >> All image replacement methods have problems. Best not to use them, but
    >> stick with foreground images and applicable alt text.

    > I am assuming her friends will visit the wedding site and they will not
    > reach the website to show "what is not working" but to enjoy some nice
    > text-n-images related to the wedding. She isn't trying to make the next
    > w3.org.

    Funny, I was thinking more or less the same thing. :)

    In the OP's case, it is really a waste of time to use any image
    replacement method, not just specifically the one employed by zengarden.
    They were developed specifically for search engine optimizations and are
    unnecessary here. Foreground images with suitable alt text are all she
    should need, and are much simpler to implement.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Jul 26, 2007
  10. Animesh K Guest

    Bergamot wrote:
    > Animesh K wrote:
    >> Bergamot wrote:
    >>> All image replacement methods have problems. Best not to use them, but
    >>> stick with foreground images and applicable alt text.

    >> I am assuming her friends will visit the wedding site and they will not
    >> reach the website to show "what is not working" but to enjoy some nice
    >> text-n-images related to the wedding. She isn't trying to make the next
    >> w3.org.

    > Funny, I was thinking more or less the same thing. :)
    >
    > In the OP's case, it is really a waste of time to use any image
    > replacement method, not just specifically the one employed by zengarden.
    > They were developed specifically for search engine optimizations and are
    > unnecessary here. Foreground images with suitable alt text are all she
    > should need, and are much simpler to implement.

    Yes the foreground image method should be fine too (and in fact easier
    to implement).
    Animesh K, Jul 26, 2007