    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/onyx/ I guess what I'm really asking
    is if anybody knows of a similar font that is free. Thanks in advance.

    -Loren

    Loren Waddle, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Loren Waddle

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Jul 20, 2003

  3. Loren Waddle

    Richard Guest

    "Loren Waddle" <> wrote in message
    news:b5ESa.94810$GL4.25640@rwcrnsc53...
    > I found a font that would work perfect for what I'm doing but it is so
    > expensive. The font is Onyx and can be found here:
    > http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/onyx/ I guess what I'm really

    asking
    > is if anybody knows of a similar font that is free. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Loren

    Bullshit. You've probably got one on your system right now that's close to
    it.
    Why is it people think they can sell something like this that is public
    domain and fair use is beyond me.
    Plenty of websites around that have something similar. Just look for them.

    Richard, Jul 21, 2003
  4. Loren Waddle

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message

    > > http://www.highfonts.com/fontsearch.asp?ord=onyx
    > >
    > > be sure to check the copyright info to see if your use is permitted.
    > >

    > Copyright? On a font? Oh
    > puuuuhhhhhhhhllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeee.
    > Toys-r-us tried suing a company for copying their "original design" and
    > lost.

    Irrelevant.

    > The alpahbet is not protectable by copyright

    True.

    > and neither are the fonts used
    > to display them with.

    Oh yes they are.

    Feed "font foundry" to google and see just how many people out there *sell*
    fonts. That is, they hold the copyright to the font and sell you a copy for
    your own personal use. These people make a living out of creating fonts. If
    you pirate their fonts and use them illegally then they can, and do, sue.

    And why do you think Microsoft distribute a font call Arial when it looks
    almost exactly the same as Helvetica? Because Helvetica is a copyrighted
    font and MS would be breaching that copyright if they distributed a font
    called Helvetica, regardless of what it looked like.

    Please do your homework before coming up with blanket statements like the
    above.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 21, 2003
  5. Loren Waddle

    > "Loren Waddle" <> wrote in message
    > > I found a font that would work perfect for what I'm doing but it is so
    > > expensive. The font is Onyx and can be found here:
    > > http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/onyx/ I guess what I'm really

    > asking
    > > is if anybody knows of a similar font that is free. Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > -Loren
    > >

    > Bullshit. You've probably got one on your system right now that's close to
    > it.
    > Why is it people think they can sell something like this that is public
    > domain and fair use is beyond me.

    Fonts like the one mentined above are *not* in the public domain.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 21, 2003
  6. Loren Waddle

    Richard Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Loren Waddle" <> wrote in message
    > > > I found a font that would work perfect for what I'm doing but it is so
    > > > expensive. The font is Onyx and can be found here:
    > > > http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/onyx/ I guess what I'm really

    > > asking
    > > > is if anybody knows of a similar font that is free. Thanks in

    advance.

    > > > -Loren
    > > >

    > > Bullshit. You've probably got one on your system right now that's close

    > > it.
    > > Why is it people think they can sell something like this that is public
    > > domain and fair use is beyond me.

    > Fonts like the one mentined above are *not* in the public domain.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    www.copyright.gov
    read the section on what can not be copyrighted.
    variations of the alphabet can not be copyrighted. Period.

    Richard, Jul 21, 2003
  7. Loren Waddle

    Richard Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > http://www.highfonts.com/fontsearch.asp?ord=onyx
    > > >
    > > > be sure to check the copyright info to see if your use is permitted.
    > > >

    > > Copyright? On a font? Oh
    > > puuuuhhhhhhhhllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeee.
    > > Toys-r-us tried suing a company for copying their "original design" and
    > > lost.

    > Irrelevant.
    >
    > > The alpahbet is not protectable by copyright

    > True.
    >
    > > and neither are the fonts used
    > > to display them with.

    > Oh yes they are.
    >
    > Feed "font foundry" to google and see just how many people out there

    *sell*
    > fonts. That is, they hold the copyright to the font and sell you a copy

    for
    > your own personal use. These people make a living out of creating fonts.

    If
    > you pirate their fonts and use them illegally then they can, and do, sue.
    >
    > And why do you think Microsoft distribute a font call Arial when it looks
    > almost exactly the same as Helvetica? Because Helvetica is a copyrighted
    > font and MS would be breaching that copyright if they distributed a font
    > called Helvetica, regardless of what it looked like.
    >
    > Please do your homework before coming up with blanket statements like the
    > above.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    toys-r-us tried suing a company for using the same font and color scheme and
    lost.
    where's the documentation that proves they own the copyright?
    if they have it, a copy will be in the library of congress records.
    bet ya it ain't there.

    Richard, Jul 21, 2003
  8. Loren Waddle

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Richard" <anom@anom> writing in

    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Loren Waddle" <> wrote in message

    >> > Bullshit. You've probably got one on your system right now that's
    >> > close to it. Why is it people think they can sell something like
    >> > this that is public domain and fair use is beyond me.

    >> Fonts like the one mentined above are *not* in the public domain.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Richard.

    > www.copyright.gov
    > read the section on what can not be copyrighted.
    > variations of the alphabet can not be copyrighted. Period.

    Search http://www.copyright.gov for registration number PA-764-635:
    Font garden : a professional collection of 500 fonts for Windows and
    Macintosh.
    Claimant: acWalnut Creek CDROM, Inc

    I'm sure there are others, but that's the first one I found.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Jul 21, 2003
  9. Loren Waddle

    Geoff Ball Guest

    Richard <> wrote in alt.html:

    > "rf" <> wrote in message

    >> "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message

    >> > Why is it people think they can sell something like this that is public
    >> > domain and fair use is beyond me.

    >> Fonts like the one mentined above are *not* in the public domain.

    > www.copyright.gov
    > read the section on what can not be copyrighted.
    > variations of the alphabet can not be copyrighted. Period.

    A font is not a variation of the alphabet. It's a collection of glyphs
    (carved figures or characters). You can copyright an image of the letter A,
    just as you can copyright a glyph of one. Fonts can be and are copyrighted.

    Regards,
    Geoff

    --
    http://www.doctype.ca/
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Geoff_Ball

    Geoff Ball, Jul 21, 2003
  10. Loren Waddle

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message news:...

    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > and neither are the fonts used
    > > > to display them with.

    > > Oh yes they are.
    > >
    > > Feed "font foundry" to google and see just how many people out there

    > *sell*
    > > fonts. That is, they hold the copyright to the font and sell you a copy

    > for
    > > your own personal use. These people make a living out of creating fonts.

    > If
    > > you pirate their fonts and use them illegally then they can, and do,

    sue.

    > > And why do you think Microsoft distribute a font call Arial when it

    looks
    > > almost exactly the same as Helvetica? Because Helvetica is a copyrighted
    > > font and MS would be breaching that copyright if they distributed a font
    > > called Helvetica, regardless of what it looked like.
    > >
    > > Please do your homework before coming up with blanket statements like

    the
    > > above.

    > toys-r-us tried suing a company for using the same font and color scheme

    and
    > lost.
    > where's the documentation that proves they own the copyright?
    > if they have it, a copy will be in the library of congress records.
    > bet ya it ain't there.

    You entirely miss the point.

    The toys-r-us suit has absolutely nothing to do with the copyright on fonts.

    It is the font file, the .TTF file, that is copyright, not the use of that
    font on a web site or a toy or anywhere else. That is what you get when you
    buy a font. The TTF file and the right to use it, as conferred upon you by
    the copyright holder.

    Some fonts are not in the public domain, specifically the one the OP wished
    to use. If you do not have copyright to the font file or a legal copy of it
    then you are in breach of copyright if you use it, anywhere.

    toys-r-us lost because they (most probably) do not own copyright to the font
    and can therefore not claim breach of copyright. Even if they hold a legal
    copy (read a copy purchased from the designer and copyright holder of the
    font) then they still have no legal claim on the use of that font by others
    that may also have a legal copy of the font. If the font is in the public
    domain then toys-r-us have absolutely no legal claim against anybody else
    using that font.

    However, if toys-r-us in fact did produce the font and therefore held
    copyright on it (by merely creating the TTF file as a piece of work) then,
    if somebody else used that font and toys-r-us could prove that it was their
    TTF file that was used then they would win the suit.

    The library of congress also has nothing to do with this. Copyright comes
    into being as soon as a peice of work (say a TTF font file) is produced.
    Nobody has to tell anybody anything about it at all. It is simply there, and
    it is an international thing, not limitied to one country that may have a
    building they call the library of congress.

    Do you really understand what the terms copyright, public domain and fair
    use really mean?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 21, 2003
  11. Loren Waddle

    Don McCahill Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > toys-r-us tried suing a company for using the same font and color scheme and
    > lost.
    > where's the documentation that proves they own the copyright?
    > if they have it, a copy will be in the library of congress records.
    > bet ya it ain't there.

    If you and I are thinking of the same lawsuit, it had nothing to do with
    the font. The company was called Babies r us, (or something like that)
    and Toys... felt they owned the "r us" part. That was the key point, not
    the use of a similar font and color scheme, which was incidental to the
    case.

    Since there have been xxxx r us stores before Toys, they had little
    legal weight to stand on. Probably hoped to bankrupt the little guys
    through legal costs.

    ---

    Don McCahill
    www.whilo.com

    Don McCahill, Jul 21, 2003
  12. On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 03:21:16 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    [...]

    >And why do you think Microsoft distribute a font call Arial when it looks
    >almost exactly the same as Helvetica? Because Helvetica is a copyrighted
    >font and MS would be breaching that copyright if they distributed a font
    >called Helvetica, regardless of what it looked like.

    For more info, see:

    <http://www.ms-studio.com/articles.html>
    <http://www.ms-studio.com/articlesarialsid.html>

    Nick

    PS, this guy really loves fonts; see:
    <http://www.ms-studio.com/typecasting.html>
    excerpt:
    .. . . .
    The movie [Chocolat] is set in a small town in provincial France,
    mid-1950s. About halfway through the film, the town's mayor puts up
    notices forbidding anyone to eat anything but bread and weak tea
    during Lent ... I almost laughed when they showed a close-up of the
    notice. The headline was set in ITC Benguiat, a typeface which debuted
    in 1978 and was mainly popular in the '80s.
    .. . . .
    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    Nick Theodorakis, Jul 22, 2003