    Mine is verdana

    Thanks in advance.

    Andrew S.
    Andrew S., Sep 18, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Andrew S."
    <> writing in news:ItJHi.2801$io2.1134@trnddc06:

    > Ok here I go.
    >
    > Fonts which way do you believe it is better to use in html a "%" or a
    > "pt"?

    Points are for printed documents. You could put points into a print
    stylesheet. Best not to specify a font size, let the user decide what
    size is best - just put headings and legalese at appropriate
    percentages.

    > I have has several talks about this with others and without stating my
    > opinion what would everyone here has to say is better?
    >
    > Also just out of curiosity what is your favorite fonts to use in a
    > document?

    I usually use font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif, and I might use
    Times Roman for headings.

    > Mine is verdana

    Google for Problems with Verdana to see why you might want to change
    that.

    > Thanks in advance.

    HTH

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 18, 2007

  3. Scripsit Andrew S.:

    > Ok here I go.

    You do, don't you? Your message looks like trolling, because...

    > Fonts which way do you believe it is better to use in html a "%" or a
    > "pt"?

    .... this has been discussed dozens of times in this group, and you either
    didn't check them or decided to ignore them. What makes us think you would
    benefit any more from a repetition?

    But to address the specific question you ask, apparently about font _size_
    without saying that, the _correct_ answer is that neither "%" nor "pt" _can_
    be used for setting font size _in HTML_.

    > Mine is verdana

    Yes, Verdana is a mine.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 18, 2007

    http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    > I have has several talks about this with others and without stating
    > my opinion what would everyone here has to say is better?

    C'mon. Let us know what they all said.

    > Also just out of curiosity what is your favorite fonts to use in a
    > document?

    See above link.

    > Mine is verdana

    Ooh. See above link. And see the thousands of times this has been
    discussed in these newsgroups.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 18, 2007
  5. Andrew S.

    Animesh K Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Andrew S. wrote:
    >
    >> Ok here I go.
    >>
    >> Fonts which way do you believe it is better to use in html a "%" or a
    >> "pt"?

    > http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    Actually IE 6.0 has has problems in displaying diacritics (characters
    with a dot-below the alphabet) with "Trebuchet MS". I prefer Tahoma over
    Trebuchet for that reason.

    I would love to use Trebuchet MS on my webpage, if Uncle Gates insists
    IE 6.0 to support the diacritics.
    Animesh K, Sep 18, 2007
  6. Animesh K wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Andrew S. wrote:
    >>> Fonts which way do you believe it is better to use in html a "%" or
    >>> a "pt"?

    >> http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    > Actually IE 6.0 has has problems in displaying diacritics (characters
    > with a dot-below the alphabet) with "Trebuchet MS". I prefer Tahoma
    > over Trebuchet for that reason.

    Didn't know that, as I don't use diacritics in any of my pages.

    > I would love to use Trebuchet MS on my webpage, if Uncle Gates
    > insists IE 6.0 to support the diacritics.

    Uncle Gates is long past working on IE6. :) Page above duly updated
    with your comment. Hope that's ok.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 18, 2007
  7. Andrew S.

    Gufus Guest

    Hi Andrew,

    Tuesday September 18 2007, Andrew S. writes to All:

    > From:
    > Also just out of curiosity what is your favorite fonts to
    > use in a document?

    Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif

    This is best, then you should be compatible with everything.

    --
    K Klement

    Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
    mailto:
    Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

    .... For a good time, call (408) 555-1212.
    Gufus, Sep 18, 2007
  8. Andrew S.

    G Guest

    Gufus wrote:
    > Hi Andrew,
    >
    > Tuesday September 18 2007, Andrew S. writes to All:
    >
    >> From:
    >> Also just out of curiosity what is your favorite fonts to
    >> use in a document?

    > Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif
    >
    > This is best, then you should be compatible with everything.

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

    Don't cha just love it when everyone knows what's best?
    G, Sep 18, 2007
  9. G wrote:

    > Don't cha just love it when everyone knows what's best?

    Yep! According to Gufus' sig, this appears to be his web site:

    http://k75s.home.att.net/show/gufus.jpg

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 18, 2007
  10. Andrew S.

    Gufus Guest

    Hi Beauregard,

    Tuesday September 18 2007, Beauregard T. Shagnasty writes to All:

    > From: lid
    > Yep! According to Gufus' sig, this appears to be his web
    > site:

    So?

    --
    K Klement

    .... Tact is the unsaid part of what you're thinking.
    Gufus, Sep 18, 2007
  11. Andrew S.

    Gufus Guest

    Hi G,

    Tuesday September 18 2007, G writes to Gufus:

    > From: .@.
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html
    > Don't cha just love it when everyone knows what's best?

    Thanks.

    --
    K Klement

    .... What this country needs is a dime that will buy a good five cent bagel.
    Gufus, Sep 18, 2007
  12. Andrew S.

    dorayme Guest

    In article <134.z1.fidonet.org>,
    (Gufus) wrote:

    > Hi Beauregard,
    >
    > Tuesday September 18 2007, Beauregard T. Shagnasty writes to All:
    >
    > > From: lid
    > > Yep! According to Gufus' sig, this appears to be his web
    > > site:

    > So?

    B is asleep at the moment, so allow me. I think he might have
    meant that your site starts off with (dictates) unnaturally
    small fonts and therefore hard to read as is. B does not think
    you should be using Transitional doc type unless you are
    transitionaling from something. And there are other things about
    the heavy use of javascript that I dare not go into that he will
    be raising an eyebrow about.

    Honestly, Gufus, better let him sleep, because if he wakes
    prematurely, I am getting out of here, sparks are a goin' to
    fly...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 18, 2007
  13. Andrew S.

    Bergamot Guest

    Gufus wrote:

    > Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif
    >
    > This is best, then you should be compatible with everything.

    If you want to be compatible with everything, drop the first 3 choices
    there. ;)

    - Verdana has known problems, which others have commented on.
    - Arial is just plain ugly - why choose an ugly font just because it's
    common?
    - Helvetica is highly variable, thus unpredictable. Compare URW to Adobe
    Helvetica to see for yourself.

    The generic sans-serif wins by a landslide. Or the generic serif if that
    style goes better with the overall design.

    Or here's a novel idea: leave the family out altogether and let your
    visitors decide for themselves what font to use.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Sep 18, 2007
  14. dorayme wrote:

    > Honestly, Gufus, better let him sleep, because if he wakes
    > prematurely, I am getting out of here, sparks are a goin' to
    > fly...

    <lol> You expounded on just about everything - except the purple
    background.

    For some reason, Gufus' posts do not arrive in my newsreader. Yours come
    in as a direct reply to mine. Doesn't seem to be anything in my killfile
    that would affect his posts (which I found at GG).

    Gufus said "So?"
    Would I hire a web designer whose own site I could not read? :)
    That second paragraph on G's main page is .. well .. funny!

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 19, 2007
  15. Andrew S.

    Animesh K Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Animesh K wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    >> Actually IE 6.0 has has problems in displaying diacritics (characters
    >> with a dot-below the alphabet) with "Trebuchet MS". I prefer Tahoma
    >> over Trebuchet for that reason.

    > Didn't know that, as I don't use diacritics in any of my pages.

    Link this for a proof:

    http://stutimandal.blogspot.com/2007/09/totakastakam.html

    This page shows fine in FF or Opera. Safari/IE7.0 put slightly bigger
    replacement characters. And IE 6.0 just fails.

    I guess Trebuchet MS lacks the diacritics fonts. (though it is just a
    dot above/below the regularly ASCII alphabets).

    Best,
    Animesh K, Sep 19, 2007
  16. Andrew S.

    Animesh K Guest

    Animesh K wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Animesh K wrote:

    >>> Actually IE 6.0 has has problems in displaying diacritics (characters
    >>> with a dot-below the alphabet) with "Trebuchet MS". I prefer Tahoma
    >>> over Trebuchet for that reason.

    >> Didn't know that, as I don't use diacritics in any of my pages.
    >>

    > Link this for a proof:
    >
    > http://stutimandal.blogspot.com/2007/09/totakastakam.html
    >
    > This page shows fine in FF or Opera. Safari/IE7.0 put slightly bigger
    > replacement characters. And IE 6.0 just fails.
    >
    > I guess Trebuchet MS lacks the diacritics fonts. (though it is just a
    > dot above/below the regularly ASCII alphabets).
    >
    > Best,

    And here the same text displays fine in IE 6.0 with Tahoma

    http://www.stutimandal.com/new/poemgen.php?id=33
    Animesh K, Sep 19, 2007
  17. Andrew S.

    Gufus Guest

    Hi Bergamot,

    Tuesday September 18 2007, Bergamot writes to Gufus:

    > From:
    > The generic sans-serif wins by a landslide. Or the generic
    > serif if that style goes better with the overall design.

    > Or here's a novel idea: leave the family out altogether and
    > let your visitors decide for themselves what font to use.

    Thanks for your input Berg. :)

    Cheers from Calgary.

    --
    K Klement

    .... You will be aided greatly by a person whom you thought to be unimportant.
    Gufus, Sep 19, 2007
  18. Animesh K wrote:

    >> Link this for a proof:

    Thanks for those, but I think I would like to keep the focus of the page
    on the font size issue. The only reason I listed font families there was
    to show the absence of Verdana.

    'Tis interesting, though. I'd never noticed, being an English-only
    writer.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 19, 2007
  19. Andrew S.

    dorayme Guest

    In article <fcplmp$1dub$>,
    Animesh K <> wrote:

    > http://stutimandal.blogspot.com/2007/09/totakastakam.html
    >
    > This page shows fine in FF or Opera. Safari/IE7.0 put slightly bigger
    > replacement characters. And IE 6.0 just fails.
    >
    > I guess Trebuchet MS lacks the diacritics fonts. (though it is just a
    > dot above/below the regularly ASCII alphabets).
    >
    > Best,

    In my Safari 2 and FF (Mac):

    "posted by Stutiman?d?ala @ 12:17 PM"

    except that the ? is a small bordered unfilled square.

    Mostly fine though. Mac IE (perhaps not too surprisingly) is not
    up to the job at all.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 19, 2007
  20. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    >> Honestly, Gufus, better let him sleep, because if he wakes
    >> prematurely, I am getting out of here, sparks are a goin' to
    >> fly...

    > <lol> You expounded on just about everything - except the
    > purple background.
    >
    > For some reason, Gufus' posts do not arrive in my newsreader.
    > Yours come in as a direct reply to mine. Doesn't seem to be
    > anything in my killfile that would affect his posts (which I
    > found at GG).

    Using a WeirdSoftware filter? :)

    "SoupGate is an easy to setup gateway for Fidonet<->Internet for use
    with a Soup mail client (which is included).
    SoupGate supports both Binkley and ArcMail style outbounds."

    Development seems to have pretty much stopped at the beta state in
    2000.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups