Fonts

Andrew S.

Ok here I go.

Fonts which way do you believe it is better to use in html a "%" or a "pt"?

I have has several talks about this with others and without stating my
opinion what would everyone here has to say is better?

Also just out of curiosity what is your favorite fonts to use in a document?

Mine is verdana

Thanks in advance.

Andrew S.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Andrew S."
Ok here I go.

Fonts which way do you believe it is better to use in html a "%" or a
"pt"?

Points are for printed documents. You could put points into a print
stylesheet. Best not to specify a font size, let the user decide what
size is best - just put headings and legalese at appropriate
percentages.
I have has several talks about this with others and without stating my
opinion what would everyone here has to say is better?

Also just out of curiosity what is your favorite fonts to use in a
document?

I usually use font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif, and I might use
Times Roman for headings.
Mine is verdana

Google for Problems with Verdana to see why you might want to change
that.
Thanks in advance.

HTH

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Andrew S.:
Ok here I go.

You do, don't you? Your message looks like trolling, because...
Fonts which way do you believe it is better to use in html a "%" or a
"pt"?

.... this has been discussed dozens of times in this group, and you either
didn't check them or decided to ignore them. What makes us think you would
benefit any more from a repetition?

But to address the specific question you ask, apparently about font _size_
without saying that, the _correct_ answer is that neither "%" nor "pt" _can_
be used for setting font size _in HTML_.
Mine is verdana

Yes, Verdana is a mine.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

I have has several talks about this with others and without stating
my opinion what would everyone here has to say is better?

C'mon. Let us know what they all said.
Also just out of curiosity what is your favorite fonts to use in a
document?

See above link.
Mine is verdana

Ooh. See above link. And see the thousands of times this has been
discussed in these newsgroups.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Animesh said:
Actually IE 6.0 has has problems in displaying diacritics (characters
with a dot-below the alphabet) with "Trebuchet MS". I prefer Tahoma
over Trebuchet for that reason.

Didn't know that, as I don't use diacritics in any of my pages.
I would love to use Trebuchet MS on my webpage, if Uncle Gates
insists IE 6.0 to support the diacritics.

Uncle Gates is long past working on IE6. :) Page above duly updated
with your comment. Hope that's ok.

Gufus

Hi Andrew,

Tuesday September 18 2007, Andrew S. writes to All:
> From: (e-mail address removed)
> Also just out of curiosity what is your favorite fonts to
> use in a document?

Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif

This is best, then you should be compatible with everything.

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:[email protected]
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

.... For a good time, call (408) 555-1212.

Gufus

Hi Beauregard,

Tuesday September 18 2007, Beauregard T. Shagnasty writes to All:
> From: (e-mail address removed)
> Yep! According to Gufus' sig, this appears to be his web
> site:

So?

dorayme

Hi Beauregard,

Tuesday September 18 2007, Beauregard T. Shagnasty writes to All:

So?

B is asleep at the moment, so allow me. I think he might have
meant that your site starts off with (dictates) unnaturally
small fonts and therefore hard to read as is. B does not think
you should be using Transitional doc type unless you are
transitionaling from something. And there are other things about
the heavy use of javascript that I dare not go into that he will
be raising an eyebrow about.

Honestly, Gufus, better let him sleep, because if he wakes
prematurely, I am getting out of here, sparks are a goin' to
fly...

Bergamot

Gufus said:
Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif

This is best, then you should be compatible with everything.

If you want to be compatible with everything, drop the first 3 choices
there. ;)

- Verdana has known problems, which others have commented on.
- Arial is just plain ugly - why choose an ugly font just because it's
common?
- Helvetica is highly variable, thus unpredictable. Compare URW to Adobe
Helvetica to see for yourself.

The generic sans-serif wins by a landslide. Or the generic serif if that
style goes better with the overall design.

Or here's a novel idea: leave the family out altogether and let your
visitors decide for themselves what font to use.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
Honestly, Gufus, better let him sleep, because if he wakes
prematurely, I am getting out of here, sparks are a goin' to
fly...

<lol> You expounded on just about everything - except the purple
background.

For some reason, Gufus' posts do not arrive in my newsreader. Yours come
in as a direct reply to mine. Doesn't seem to be anything in my killfile
that would affect his posts (which I found at GG).

Gufus said "So?"
Would I hire a web designer whose own site I could not read? :)
That second paragraph on G's main page is .. well .. funny!

Animesh K

Gufus

Hi Bergamot,

Tuesday September 18 2007, Bergamot writes to Gufus:
> From: (e-mail address removed)
> The generic sans-serif wins by a landslide. Or the generic
> serif if that style goes better with the overall design.
> Or here's a novel idea: leave the family out altogether and
> let your visitors decide for themselves what font to use.

Thanks for your input Berg. :)

Cheers from Calgary.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Thanks for those, but I think I would like to keep the focus of the page
on the font size issue. The only reason I listed font families there was
to show the absence of Verdana.

'Tis interesting, though. I'd never noticed, being an English-only
writer.

dorayme

Animesh K said:
http://stutimandal.blogspot.com/2007/09/totakastakam.html

This page shows fine in FF or Opera. Safari/IE7.0 put slightly bigger
replacement characters. And IE 6.0 just fails.

I guess Trebuchet MS lacks the diacritics fonts. (though it is just a
dot above/below the regularly ASCII alphabets).

Best,

In my Safari 2 and FF (Mac):

"posted by Stutiman?d?ala @ 12:17 PM"

except that the ? is a small bordered unfilled square.

Mostly fine though. Mac IE (perhaps not too surprisingly) is not
up to the job at all.

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard said:
<lol> You expounded on just about everything - except the
purple background.

For some reason, Gufus' posts do not arrive in my newsreader.
Yours come in as a direct reply to mine. Doesn't seem to be
anything in my killfile that would affect his posts (which I
found at GG).

Using a WeirdSoftware filter? :)

"SoupGate is an easy to setup gateway for Fidonet<->Internet for use
with a Soup mail client (which is included).
SoupGate supports both Binkley and ArcMail style outbounds."

Development seems to have pretty much stopped at the beta state in
2000.