Fontsize questions

Samuël van Laere

Lets picture this:
<h1>My subject</h1>

This would display the header1 tag at the fontsize as suggested by the
browser?
What is the same size in procents?
Does someone know of a list that displays the values for the header tags in
procents?
Wouldn't it be better to suggest no fontsize at all and let te browser
handle it?

With regards,
Samuël van Laere
the Netherlands

Bertilo Wennergren

Samuël van Laere:
Lets picture this:
<h1>My subject</h1>
This would display the header1 tag at the fontsize as suggested by the
browser?

According to each browser's settings.
What is the same size in procents?

That could be anything. Browsers have different settings. Some display
all text the same size, using e.g. upper case or bold style to indicate
headings.
Does someone know of a list that displays the values for the header tags in
procents?

There is probably some doc out there that lists the common defaults for
some common browsers. But users can easily change those settings.
Wouldn't it be better to suggest no fontsize at all and let te browser
handle it?

That's what you did when you just wrote "<h1>My subject</h1>". It's
quite all right. You don't have to suggest any presentation details.
Just marking up the structure with HTML, and letting the browsers
display it any way they want to, is the basic idea of HTML.

But if you want to, you can use CSS to suggest font sizes and other
things. Those suggestions will of course be ignored by some browsers.

Samuël van Laere

Bertilo Wennergren said:
That's what you did when you just wrote "<h1>My subject</h1>". It's
quite all right. You don't have to suggest any presentation details.
Just marking up the structure with HTML, and letting the browsers
display it any way they want to, is the basic idea of HTML.

But if you want to, you can use CSS to suggest font sizes and other
things. Those suggestions will of course be ignored by some browsers.

Well i allready use CSS to control the font-sizes, they are all set to 100%.
Perhaps i should make H1 bigger to say 140%, thats why i'm considering
getting rid of all (or most) font-size attributes in the stylesheet and let
the users browser
handle the size, according to the browser default setting or to the user
settings.

So when asuming the user didn't change the default settings of there
favorite browser at al:
Does it still means that font-size 100% on IE could display different then
on Mozilla or visa versa?

With regards,
Samuël van Laere
the Netherlands
http://www.fortron.net

Bertilo Wennergren

Samuël van Laere:
"Bertilo Wennergren" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
Well i allready use CSS to control the font-sizes, they are all set to 100%.

All? Do you mean something like this?

p { font-size: 100%; }
h1 { font-size: 100%; }
h2 { font-size: 100%; }
etc.

Or do you mean like this?

body { font-size: 100%; }
Perhaps i should make H1 bigger to say 140%, thats why i'm considering
getting rid of all (or most) font-size attributes in the stylesheet and let
the users browser
handle the size, according to the browser default setting or to the user
settings.

That's a very reasonable way to do it.
So when asuming the user didn't change the default settings of there
favorite browser at al:
Does it still means that font-size 100% on IE could display different then
on Mozilla or visa versa?

Yes. But what does it matter?

Samuël van Laere

Bertilo Wennergren said:
100%.

All? Do you mean something like this?

p { font-size: 100%; }
h1 { font-size: 100%; }
h2 { font-size: 100%; }
etc.

Or do you mean like this?

body { font-size: 100%; }

I've set them all to 100% like this:
Hx { font-size: 100%; }
I should make change H1 to 140%, and H2 to 120 or something similar i know.
I didn't set any font attributes in the body, i believe its better that way.
That's a very reasonable way to do it.
True but it depands on the default sizes used for the headings, if its to
big
i just use a css attribute to change it; besides users can override it
anyway if they don't like my sizes
and that is a good thing in my opinion.
Yes. But what does it matter?
Not for me personal no, but its good to know that browsers could in fact
display different font-sizes
on screen, while using the same value from a stylesheet.

With regards,
Samuël van Laere
the Netherlands
http://www.fortron.net

Bertilo Wennergren

Samuël van Laere:
I've set them all to 100% like this:
Hx { font-size: 100%; }

Hopefully not exactly like that "Hx" means nothing. I suppose you've
written e.g. "h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 { font-size: 100%; }".

That's OK, but not very common. If you keep it that way, you'd better
make sure that the title hierachy is evident through some other style
means (color, indent...).
True but it depands on the default sizes used for the headings, if its to
big i just use a css attribute to change it; besides users can override it
anyway if they don't like my sizes and that is a good thing in my opinion.

It's best to just suppose that everyone uses a default that they like,
and be happy with that.
Not for me personal no, but its good to know that browsers could in fact
display different font-sizes on screen, while using the same value from
a stylesheet.

True.

Sid Ismail

: Well i allready use CSS to control the font-sizes, they are all set to 100%.

But that's the default...

: Perhaps i should make H1 bigger to say 140%, thats why i'm considering
: getting rid of all (or most) font-size attributes in the stylesheet and let
: the users browser handle the size, according to the browser default setting or to the user
: settings.

Letting the user's browser handle sizes is a great idea! If you do want to
play with the H-sizes, have a look at
http://www.pmob.co.uk/faqcss/tutorial04/

: So when asuming the user didn't change the default settings of there
: favorite browser at al:

If he changed it, it was for a good reason. Visual impact perhaps?

: Does it still means that font-size 100% on IE could display different then
: on Mozilla or visa versa?

Yes, of course. Just as 0-80 is faster in a Porsche than a Ford.

Sid

Sid Ismail

: Samuël van Laere:
:
: > I've set them all to 100% like this:
: > Hx { font-size: 100%; }

That's not a very good idea. H want to be H's and different.

Rather just define a class like
..bolder {font-weight:bold; margin-bottom: 20px;}

then access it by <div class=bolder>This is bolder</div>and this is
underneath it, with a space.

Sid