    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    the Netherlands

    Samuël van Laere, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Samuël van Laere:

    > Lets picture this:
    > <h1>My subject</h1>

    > This would display the header1 tag at the fontsize as suggested by the
    > browser?

    According to each browser's settings.

    > What is the same size in procents?

    That could be anything. Browsers have different settings. Some display
    all text the same size, using e.g. upper case or bold style to indicate
    headings.

    > Does someone know of a list that displays the values for the header tags in
    > procents?

    There is probably some doc out there that lists the common defaults for
    some common browsers. But users can easily change those settings.

    > Wouldn't it be better to suggest no fontsize at all and let te browser
    > handle it?

    That's what you did when you just wrote "<h1>My subject</h1>". It's
    quite all right. You don't have to suggest any presentation details.
    Just marking up the structure with HTML, and letting the browsers
    display it any way they want to, is the basic idea of HTML.

    But if you want to, you can use CSS to suggest font sizes and other
    things. Those suggestions will of course be ignored by some browsers.

    --
    Bertilo Wennergren <> <http://www.bertilow.com>

    Bertilo Wennergren, Nov 20, 2003

  3. "Bertilo Wennergren" <> schreef in bericht

    > That's what you did when you just wrote "<h1>My subject</h1>". It's
    > quite all right. You don't have to suggest any presentation details.
    > Just marking up the structure with HTML, and letting the browsers
    > display it any way they want to, is the basic idea of HTML.
    >
    > But if you want to, you can use CSS to suggest font sizes and other
    > things. Those suggestions will of course be ignored by some browsers.

    Well i allready use CSS to control the font-sizes, they are all set to 100%.
    Perhaps i should make H1 bigger to say 140%, thats why i'm considering
    getting rid of all (or most) font-size attributes in the stylesheet and let
    the users browser
    handle the size, according to the browser default setting or to the user
    settings.

    So when asuming the user didn't change the default settings of there
    favorite browser at al:
    Does it still means that font-size 100% on IE could display different then
    on Mozilla or visa versa?

    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    the Netherlands
    http://www.fortron.net

    Samuël van Laere, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Samuël van Laere:

    > "Bertilo Wennergren" <> schreef in bericht

    >>That's what you did when you just wrote "<h1>My subject</h1>". It's
    >>quite all right. You don't have to suggest any presentation details.
    >>Just marking up the structure with HTML, and letting the browsers
    >>display it any way they want to, is the basic idea of HTML.

    >>But if you want to, you can use CSS to suggest font sizes and other
    >>things. Those suggestions will of course be ignored by some browsers.

    > Well i allready use CSS to control the font-sizes, they are all set to 100%.

    All? Do you mean something like this?

    p { font-size: 100%; }
    h1 { font-size: 100%; }
    h2 { font-size: 100%; }
    etc.

    Or do you mean like this?

    body { font-size: 100%; }

    > Perhaps i should make H1 bigger to say 140%, thats why i'm considering
    > getting rid of all (or most) font-size attributes in the stylesheet and let
    > the users browser
    > handle the size, according to the browser default setting or to the user
    > settings.

    That's a very reasonable way to do it.

    > So when asuming the user didn't change the default settings of there
    > favorite browser at al:
    > Does it still means that font-size 100% on IE could display different then
    > on Mozilla or visa versa?

    Yes. But what does it matter?

    --
    Bertilo Wennergren <> <http://www.bertilow.com>

    Bertilo Wennergren, Nov 20, 2003
  5. "Bertilo Wennergren" <> schreef in bericht

    > > Well i allready use CSS to control the font-sizes, they are all set to

    100%.

    > All? Do you mean something like this?
    >
    > p { font-size: 100%; }
    > h1 { font-size: 100%; }
    > h2 { font-size: 100%; }
    > etc.
    >
    > Or do you mean like this?
    >
    > body { font-size: 100%; }

    I've set them all to 100% like this:
    Hx { font-size: 100%; }
    I should make change H1 to 140%, and H2 to 120 or something similar i know.
    I didn't set any font attributes in the body, i believe its better that way.

    > That's a very reasonable way to do it.

    True but it depands on the default sizes used for the headings, if its to
    big
    i just use a css attribute to change it; besides users can override it
    anyway if they don't like my sizes
    and that is a good thing in my opinion.

    > Yes. But what does it matter?

    Not for me personal no, but its good to know that browsers could in fact
    display different font-sizes
    on screen, while using the same value from a stylesheet.

    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    the Netherlands
    http://www.fortron.net

    Samuël van Laere, Nov 20, 2003
  6. Samuël van Laere:

    > I've set them all to 100% like this:
    > Hx { font-size: 100%; }

    Hopefully not exactly like that "Hx" means nothing. I suppose you've
    written e.g. "h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 { font-size: 100%; }".

    That's OK, but not very common. If you keep it that way, you'd better
    make sure that the title hierachy is evident through some other style
    means (color, indent...).

    >>That's a very reasonable way to do it.

    > True but it depands on the default sizes used for the headings, if its to
    > big i just use a css attribute to change it; besides users can override it
    > anyway if they don't like my sizes and that is a good thing in my opinion.

    It's best to just suppose that everyone uses a default that they like,
    and be happy with that.

    >>Yes. But what does it matter?

    > Not for me personal no, but its good to know that browsers could in fact
    > display different font-sizes on screen, while using the same value from
    > a stylesheet.

    True.

    --
    Bertilo Wennergren <> <http://www.bertilow.com>

    Bertilo Wennergren, Nov 20, 2003
  7. Samuël van Laere

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:40:07 GMT, "Samuël van Laere" <>
    wrote:

    : Well i allready use CSS to control the font-sizes, they are all set to 100%.

    But that's the default...

    : Perhaps i should make H1 bigger to say 140%, thats why i'm considering
    : getting rid of all (or most) font-size attributes in the stylesheet and let
    : the users browser handle the size, according to the browser default setting or to the user
    : settings.

    Letting the user's browser handle sizes is a great idea! If you do want to
    play with the H-sizes, have a look at
    http://www.pmob.co.uk/faqcss/tutorial04/

    : So when asuming the user didn't change the default settings of there
    : favorite browser at al:

    If he changed it, it was for a good reason. Visual impact perhaps?

    : Does it still means that font-size 100% on IE could display different then
    : on Mozilla or visa versa?

    Yes, of course. Just as 0-80 is faster in a Porsche than a Ford.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 20, 2003
  8. Samuël van Laere

    Sid Ismail Guest

    : Samuël van Laere:
    :
    : > I've set them all to 100% like this:
    : > Hx { font-size: 100%; }

    That's not a very good idea. H want to be H's and different.

    Rather just define a class like
    ..bolder {font-weight:bold; margin-bottom: 20px;}

    then access it by <div class=bolder>This is bolder</div>and this is
    underneath it, with a space.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 20, 2003
  9. Samuël van Laere

    rf Guest

    "Bertilo Wennergren" <> wrote in message
    > Samuël van Laere:
    >
    > > Does someone know of a list that displays the values for the header tags

    in
    > > procents?

    > There is probably some doc out there that lists the common defaults for
    > some common browsers. But users can easily change those settings.

    Its called the CSS2 specification.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/sample.html

    We find here that the most common default for h1 is 2em or 200%.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Nov 20, 2003
  10. "rf" <> schreef in bericht

    > Its called the CSS2 specification.
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/sample.html
    >
    > We find here that the most common default for h1 is 2em or 200%.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Thanks Richard,

    I bookmarked it, i'm sure it will come to use some day.

    Regards,
    Samuël van Laere

    Samuël van Laere, Nov 21, 2003