fooling for a repaint

Ike

I changing the size of frames dynamically in a page (I am restricted in that
I cannot perform a reload of the content of any of the frames). In MSIE,
when I resize the frames, thinks repaint perfectly. In NS 7 there are
artifacts left over from what previously occupied a given frame.

If I minimize the NS browser, then mazimize it again, the NS browser
repaints the contents of the frames, and everything looks correct.

Is there a way - any conceivable way - anyone knows or can think of to trick
the browser into repainting itself when a frame is resized? Thanks, Ike

Michael Winter

I changing the size of frames dynamically in a page (I am restricted in
that I cannot perform a reload of the content of any of the frames). In
MSIE, when I resize the frames, thinks repaint perfectly. In NS 7 there
are artifacts left over from what previously occupied a given frame.

If I minimize the NS browser, then mazimize it again, the NS browser
repaints the contents of the frames, and everything looks correct.

Is there a way - any conceivable way - anyone knows or can think of to
trick the browser into repainting itself when a frame is resized?

Not off hand, but do report it to Netscape. At least then, future versions
of the browser might be free from the problem.

If you can't explain to them what causes it properly, host an example
version of the page, give them the URL and illustrate how interacting with
it causes artifacts.

Mike

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Michael Winter:
Not off hand, but do report it to Netscape. At least then, future
versions of the browser might be free from the problem.

Does this same problem occur with Mozilla 1.6? Or Firefox 0.8?

If not, then whatever the bug was, has already been fixed. Netscape
stopped development with 7.1, which is the Mozilla 1.4 engine. Or so I
am told; Netscape the company is dead.

Randy Webb

Jerry said:
Add the following code into the <head> section of your documents:

And then remove it, its junk.
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
<!--
function MM_reloadPage(init) { //reloads the window if Nav4 resized
if (init==true) with (navigator) {if
((appName=="Netscape")&&(parseInt(appVersion)==4)) {
document.MM_pgW=innerWidth; document.MM_pgH=innerHeight;
onresize=MM_reloadPage; }}
else if (innerWidth!=document.MM_pgW || innerHeight!=document.MM_pgH)
location.reload();
}
MM_reloadPage(true);
//-->
</script>

Jerry P.

Read the comp.lang.javascript FAQ with regards to browser detection, and
its impossibility and futility. Also with regards to top-posting.

Jerry Polyak

Add the following code into the <head> section of your documents:

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
<!--
function MM_reloadPage(init) { //reloads the window if Nav4 resized
if (init==true) with (navigator) {if
((appName=="Netscape")&&(parseInt(appVersion)==4)) {
document.MM_pgW=innerWidth; document.MM_pgH=innerHeight;
onresize=MM_reloadPage; }}
else if (innerWidth!=document.MM_pgW || innerHeight!=document.MM_pgH)
location.reload();
}
MM_reloadPage(true);
//-->
</script>

Jerry P.

Ike

Thanks Jerry,

But I have to avoid reloading the page as it contains a java applet which,
if the page is reloaded, gets restarted, and I need to avoid that. Instead,
I need to simply "repaint" what is already there, but evidently, there's no
way to do this under html/dhtml/javascript. What I'm trying to do is find a
way to "fool" the browser into repainting the view, much as it does,
automatically, if a window is opened in front of it, and subsequently
closed, the browser view repaints correctly.

-Ike

Jerry Polyak

I see. Than that probably won't work. LOL. Coincidentally, the code was
generated by Dreamweaver MX as a fix for Netscape resize problem. Which
just makes me think that it is a well known problem.

Toby A Inkster

Beauregard said:
Netscape the company is dead.

Netscape the browser is dead. Netscape the brand lives on. Netscape has
recently opened an ISP in the UK (didn't it just close one down?) and the
Netscape.com portal site is still soldiering on.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Toby A Inkster:
Netscape the browser is dead. Netscape the brand lives on. Netscape
has recently opened an ISP in the UK (didn't it just close one
down?) and the Netscape.com portal site is still soldiering on.

Ok, thanks for the clarification, Toby.

"The browser is dead, long live the browser..."