    repaints the contents of the frames, and everything looks correct.

    Is there a way - any conceivable way - anyone knows or can think of to trick
    the browser into repainting itself when a frame is resized? Thanks, Ike

    Ike, Feb 13, 2004

  2. On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:11:05 GMT, Ike <> wrote:

    > I changing the size of frames dynamically in a page (I am restricted in
    > that I cannot perform a reload of the content of any of the frames). In
    > MSIE, when I resize the frames, thinks repaint perfectly. In NS 7 there
    > are artifacts left over from what previously occupied a given frame.
    >
    > If I minimize the NS browser, then mazimize it again, the NS browser
    > repaints the contents of the frames, and everything looks correct.
    >
    > Is there a way - any conceivable way - anyone knows or can think of to
    > trick the browser into repainting itself when a frame is resized?

    Not off hand, but do report it to Netscape. At least then, future versions
    of the browser might be free from the problem.

    If you can't explain to them what causes it properly, host an example
    version of the page, give them the URL and illustrate how interacting with
    it causes artifacts.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    lid (replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply)

    Michael Winter, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Quoth the raven named Michael Winter:

    > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:11:05 GMT, Ike <> wrote:
    >
    >> I changing the size of frames dynamically in a page (I am
    >> restricted in that I cannot perform a reload of the content of
    >> any of the frames). In MSIE, when I resize the frames, thinks
    >> repaint perfectly. In NS 7 there are artifacts left over from
    >> what previously occupied a given frame.
    >>
    >> If I minimize the NS browser, then mazimize it again, the NS
    >> browser repaints the contents of the frames, and everything looks
    >> correct.
    >>
    >> Is there a way - any conceivable way - anyone knows or can think
    >> of to trick the browser into repainting itself when a frame is
    >> resized?

    > Not off hand, but do report it to Netscape. At least then, future
    > versions of the browser might be free from the problem.

    Does this same problem occur with Mozilla 1.6? Or Firefox 0.8?

    If not, then whatever the bug was, has already been fixed. Netscape
    stopped development with 7.1, which is the Mozilla 1.4 engine. Or so I
    am told; Netscape the company is dead.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Ike

    Randy Webb Guest

    Jerry Polyak wrote:

    > Add the following code into the <head> section of your documents:

    And then remove it, its junk.

    > <script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
    > <!--
    > function MM_reloadPage(init) { //reloads the window if Nav4 resized
    > if (init==true) with (navigator) {if
    > ((appName=="Netscape")&&(parseInt(appVersion)==4)) {
    > document.MM_pgW=innerWidth; document.MM_pgH=innerHeight;
    > onresize=MM_reloadPage; }}
    > else if (innerWidth!=document.MM_pgW || innerHeight!=document.MM_pgH)
    > location.reload();
    > }
    > MM_reloadPage(true);
    > //-->
    > </script>
    >
    > Jerry P.

    Read the comp.lang.javascript FAQ with regards to browser detection, and
    its impossibility and futility. Also with regards to top-posting.

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    Randy Webb, Feb 13, 2004
  5. Ike

    Jerry Polyak Guest

    Jerry Polyak, Feb 13, 2004
  6. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Thanks Jerry,

    But I have to avoid reloading the page as it contains a java applet which,
    if the page is reloaded, gets restarted, and I need to avoid that. Instead,
    I need to simply "repaint" what is already there, but evidently, there's no
    way to do this under html/dhtml/javascript. What I'm trying to do is find a
    way to "fool" the browser into repainting the view, much as it does,
    automatically, if a window is opened in front of it, and subsequently
    closed, the browser view repaints correctly.

    -Ike

    Ike, Feb 13, 2004
  7. Ike

    Jerry Polyak Guest

    I see. Than that probably won't work. LOL. Coincidentally, the code was
    generated by Dreamweaver MX as a fix for Netscape resize problem. Which
    just makes me think that it is a well known problem.

    Jerry Polyak, Feb 13, 2004
  8. Ike

    Jerry Polyak Guest

    What about top posting, there Randy?

    You must be that news group police?

    Jerry Polyak, Feb 13, 2004
  9. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Netscape the company is dead.

    Netscape the browser is dead. Netscape the brand lives on. Netscape has
    recently opened an ISP in the UK (didn't it just close one down?) and the
    Netscape.com portal site is still soldiering on.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 14, 2004
  10. Quoth the raven named Toby A Inkster:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Netscape the company is dead.

    > Netscape the browser is dead. Netscape the brand lives on. Netscape
    > has recently opened an ISP in the UK (didn't it just close one
    > down?) and the Netscape.com portal site is still soldiering on.

    Ok, thanks for the clarification, Toby.

    "The browser is dead, long live the browser..."

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 14, 2004