for installing perl modules - is there a default C compiler on win X64

sm

Hi Folks,
I had posted this on perl Tk group but had no response. I hope some one can
help.

I have Win X64 box. When installing some of the modules I get the following
errors:

Test Compiling config/signedchar.c
'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Test Compile/Run config/unsigned.c
'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Test Compiling config/Ksprintf.c

I would like to know what C compiler pacakge I need for this. I downloaded a
GNU GCC
for Win but the compiler is named something other than "lc". Is there
another compiler
I can use on Win X64.

Thanks,
-sm

Sisyphus

sm said:
Test Compiling config/signedchar.c
'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Test Compile/Run config/unsigned.c
'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Test Compiling config/Ksprintf.c

I would like to know what C compiler pacakge I need for this. I downloaded a
GNU GCC
for Win but the compiler is named something other than "lc". Is there
another compiler
I can use on Win X64.

'cl.exe' is the Microsoft Visual Studio compiler.

One thing to consider is that, although your machine is 64-bit, the perl you
have is probably 32-bit perl ... unless you built it yourself (which sounds
unlikely) or someone built a 64-bit version of perl for you (and I don't
know of anyone doing that).

Can you give us a copy'n'paste of what running 'perl -V' produces ? The way
to proceed depends upon what that reveals.

Cheers,
Rob

Sisyphus

sm said:
Here is "perl -V"

--> perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 7) configuration:
Platform:
osname=MSWin32, osvers=5.0, archname=MSWin32-x86-multi-thread

Note that it says "MSWin32".
uname=''
config_args='undef'
hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=undef
usethreads=define use5005threads=undef useithreads=define
usemultiplicity=define
useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef

Note that "use64bitint=undef" and "use64bitall=undef"

Looks like this is just the standard 32-bit ActiveState perl. Probably
simplest to use 'ppm' to install whatever modules you want - assuming 'ppm'
works ok for you .... does it ?

Other than that, the best option is to use the (32-bit compiler) MSVC++ 6.0
(which is not freely available).

If you want a freely available compiler to work with ActiveState perl:
1) Install MinGW and ExtUtils::FakeConfig. This is *my* preferred
alternative, but it may not be everybody's preferred alternative. If you
upgrade to ActiveState build 815, you won't need to install
ExtUtils::FakeConfig -as build 815 (and subsequent releases) work seamlessly
with MinGW.
2) Install the freely available .NET 2003 command line compiler, available
from Microsoft. Google for it.

Cheers,
Rob

Sisyphus

sm said:
Here is "perl -V"

--> perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 7) configuration:
Platform:
osname=MSWin32, osvers=5.0, archname=MSWin32-x86-multi-thread

I've just received notification that build 816 has been released. The
release blurb informs me that ActiveState are now releasing a 64-bit version
of perl as well. I don't know if this is the first time they've done that
.... maybe they've been doing it for a while and I hadn't noticed. Anyway ...
the op (and others) might be interested in trying it out.

Cheers,
Rob