    My textbook isn't much of a help either. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE THE
    HELP I WILL GET!

    , May 11, 2006

  2. Vladimir Oka Guest

    wrote:
    > Dear everyone,
    >
    > Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
    > that will display the following:
    >
    > *
    > ***
    > *****
    > *******
    > *********
    > *********
    > *******
    > *****
    > ***
    > *
    >
    > I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
    > times, but I can't get it to work properly. I live in Japan and I take
    > an online C++ course. The instructor lives in the US so whenever I am
    > awake, he's asleep. Therefore, I cannot contact him directly when I
    > need help. I have to get this program up and running ASAP. I tried
    > searching everywhere for help, but there's none except for this group.
    > My textbook isn't much of a help either. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE THE
    > HELP I WILL GET!

    Post some of the attempts you have made. Nobody will just give you the
    solution. Also, read the link below, especially where it talks about
    (or links to) how a homework question should be asked:

    http://www.clc-wiki.net/wiki/Introduction_to_comp.lang.c

    I can offer one solution, though I doubt that's what you're looking
    for:

    #include <stdio.h>

    int main(void)
    {
    int i;

    for (i=0; i<1; i++)
    {
    printf(" *\n");
    printf(" ***\n");
    printf(" *****\n");
    printf(" *******\n");
    printf("*********\n");
    printf("*********\n");
    printf(" *******\n");
    printf(" *****\n");
    printf(" ***\n");
    printf(" *\n");
    }

    return 0;
    }

    Vladimir Oka, May 11, 2006

  3. Richard Bos Guest

    wrote:

    > Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
    > that will display the following:
    >
    > *
    > ***
    > *****
    > *******
    > *********
    > *********
    > *******
    > *****
    > ***
    > *

    #include <stdio.h>

    int main(void)
    {
    puts(" *");
    puts(" ***");
    puts(" *****");
    puts(" *******");
    puts("*********");
    puts("*********");
    puts(" *******");
    puts(" *****");
    puts(" ***");
    puts(" *");
    puts("");
    puts("Copyright 2006 Richard L. Bos - all rights reserved.");

    return 0;
    }

    > I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
    > times, but I can't get it to work properly. I live in Japan and I take
    > an online C++ course.

    Then a. you want to replace <stdio.h> with something like <cstdio.h++>;
    b. you want something like stdout << instead of puts(; and c. you need
    to ask in comp.lang.c++, not comp.lang.c.

    > The instructor lives in the US so whenever I am awake, he's asleep.
    > Therefore, I cannot contact him directly when I need help.

    They don't have e-mail in the US? Gosh. I knew that country was a bit
    primitive in some aspects, but that's truly backwards.

    > I have to get this program up and running ASAP.

    I really, really doubt that.

    FWIW: DYODH. HTH; HAND.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, May 11, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
    > that will display the following:

    (snip asterisks)

    > I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
    > times, but I can't get it to work properly.

    Post your best attempt. We'll fix your code, but we won't write it
    for you.

    And post to the correct newsgroup. comp.lang.c++ is that way ---->

    Christopher Benson-Manica, May 11, 2006
  5. pete Guest

    wrote:

    > *
    > ***
    > *****
    > *******
    > *********
    > *********
    > *******
    > *****
    > ***
    > *

    /* BEGIN new.c */

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <string.h>

    #define FIVE 5

    void function(char *array, int max, int limit);
    char *str_rev(char *s);

    int main(void)
    {
    char array[FIVE] = "";
    int counter;

    counter = FIVE;
    while (counter-- != 0) {
    function(array, FIVE - 1, counter);
    }
    for (counter = 0; counter != FIVE; ++counter) {
    function(array, FIVE - 1, counter);
    }
    return 0;
    }

    void function(char *array, int max, int limit)
    {
    int count;

    for (count = 0; count != limit; ++count) {
    array[count] = ' ';
    }
    while (count != max) {
    array[count] = '*';
    ++count;
    }
    printf(array);
    putchar('*');
    str_rev(array);
    puts(array);
    }

    char *str_rev(char *s)
    {
    char *t, swap;
    char *const p = s;

    if (s[0] != '\0' && s[1] != '\0') {
    t = s + 1 + strlen(s + 2);
    do {
    swap = *t;
    *t-- = *s;
    *s++ = swap;
    } while (t > s);
    }
    return p;
    }

    /* END new.c */

    --
    pete

    pete, May 11, 2006
  6. osmium Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
    > that will display the following:
    >
    > *
    > ***
    > *****
    > *******
    > *********
    > *********
    > *******
    > *****
    > ***
    > *
    >
    > I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
    > times, but I can't get it to work properly. I live in Japan and I take
    > an online C++ course. The instructor lives in the US so whenever I am
    > awake, he's asleep. Therefore, I cannot contact him directly when I
    > need help. I have to get this program up and running ASAP. I tried
    > searching everywhere for help, but there's none except for this group.
    > My textbook isn't much of a help either. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE THE
    > HELP I WILL GET!

    Resolve to do it in two parts, the asterisks are growing or the asterisks
    are shrinking.

    For the growing asterisks:
    Write two functions, one to print n spaces and another to print n asterisks.
    Call these functions with the appropriate parameters, and have the main loop
    provide the end of line. That is, one iteration of the for loop prints one
    *line*.

    Make a table like this:

    line nbr nbr asterisks
    1 1
    2 3
    3 5
    4 6

    Note the sequence and provide appropriate code in the for loop to provide
    the appropriate value to the asterisk printing function.

    Note well how the liberal use of functions empties the mind of extraneous
    non-interesting (at the moment) things.

    Now do the shrinking asterisks bit.

    Done.
    -----
    I *finally* figured out what HW is. Homework!

    osmium, May 11, 2006
  7. said:

    > Dear everyone,
    >
    > Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
    > that will display the following:
    >
    > *
    > ***
    > *****
    > *******
    > *********
    > *********
    > *******
    > *****
    > ***
    > *
    >
    > I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
    > times, but I can't get it to work properly. I live in Japan and I take
    > an online C++ course. The instructor lives in the US so whenever I am
    > awake, he's asleep. Therefore, I cannot contact him directly when I
    > need help. I have to get this program up and running ASAP. I tried
    > searching everywhere for help, but there's none except for this group.
    > My textbook isn't much of a help either. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE THE
    > HELP I WILL GET!

    My pleasure.

    #define M 002354l
    #define A 000644l
    #define G 000132l
    #define I 000322l
    #define C 000374l

    #define a ;
    #define b for
    #define c ++
    #define d %
    #define e int
    #define f ,
    #define g -
    #define h 011
    #define i =
    #define j {
    #define k )
    #define l '\n'
    #define m main
    #define n <
    #define o }
    #define p >
    #define q &&
    #define r (
    #define s ||
    #define t ?
    #define u putchar
    #define v void
    #define w '*'
    #define x :
    #define y ' '
    #define _ /
    #define C_O_O_L return

    e u r e k a

    m r
    v k j
    j j j j
    j j j j j
    j j j j j j
    j j j j j j j
    j e z a b r z i
    M _ A _ G _ I _ C
    a z n G a u r z d h
    + z _ h p M _ A q z d
    h + z _ h n M _ G q z _
    h n z d h + M _ I q z _ h
    p z d h g M _ C t w x y k f
    z d h g h + 1 s u r l k f z c
    k a u r l k a j j j j j j j j j
    j j C_O_O_L M _ A _ G _ I _ C a o
    o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
    o o o o
    o o o o
    o o o o
    o o o o

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, May 11, 2006
  8. Vladimir Oka Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > said:
    >
    > > Dear everyone,
    > >
    > > Can someone please help me on my HW. I'm trying to write a program
    > > that will display the following:
    > >
    > > *
    > > ***
    > > *****
    > > *******
    > > *********
    > > *********
    > > *******
    > > *****
    > > ***
    > > *
    > >
    > > I'm having a hard time writing a code for this one. I tried several
    > > times, but I can't get it to work properly. I live in Japan and I take
    > > an online C++ course. The instructor lives in the US so whenever I am
    > > awake, he's asleep. Therefore, I cannot contact him directly when I
    > > need help. I have to get this program up and running ASAP. I tried
    > > searching everywhere for help, but there's none except for this group.
    > > My textbook isn't much of a help either. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE THE
> [...]

    Thank you! You've definitely made my day! LoL

    Vladimir Oka, May 11, 2006
  9. On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:00:50 +0000,
    Richard Heathfield <> wrote
    in Msg. <>

    > #define M 002354l
    > #define A 000644l
    > #define G 000132l
    > #define I 000322l
    > #define C 000374l

    [...]

    > h n z d h + M _ I q z _ h
    > p z d h g M _ C t w x y k f
    > z d h g h + 1 s u r l k f z c
    > k a u r l k a j j j j j j j j j
    > j j C_O_O_L M _ A _ G _ I _ C a o
    > o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
    > o o o o
    > o o o o
    > o o o o
    > o o o o

    OK, let's un-obfuscate this a little bit:

    ------
    int putchar(int);

    int main(void)
    {
    int z;

    for (z =
    002354l / 000644l / 000132l / 000322l / 000374l; z < 000132l;
    putchar(z % 011 + z / 011 > 002354l / 000644l
    && z % 011 + z / 011 < 002354l / 000132l
    && z / 011 < z % 011 + 002354l / 000322l
    && z / 011 > z % 011 - 002354l / 000374l ? '*' : ' '),
    z % 011 - 011 + 1 || putchar('\n'), z++);
    putchar('\n');
    return 002354l / 000644l / 000132l / 000322l / 000374l;
    }
    ------

    Ho do you come up with stuff like this? I don't get it. My mind doesn't
    work that way.

    Puzzled,
    robert

    Robert Latest, May 11, 2006
  10. Robert Latest said:

    > for (z =
    > 002354l / 000644l / 000132l / 000322l / 000374l; z < 000132l;
    > putchar(z % 011 + z / 011 > 002354l / 000644l
    > && z % 011 + z / 011 < 002354l / 000132l
    > && z / 011 < z % 011 + 002354l / 000322l
    > && z / 011 > z % 011 - 002354l / 000374l ? '*' : ' '),
    > z % 011 - 011 + 1 || putchar('\n'), z++);
    > putchar('\n');
    > return 002354l / 000644l / 000132l / 000322l / 000374l;
    > }
    > ------
    >
    > Ho do you come up with stuff like this? I don't get it. My mind doesn't
    > work that way.

    Well, I see no point using two loops when one will do, that's all.

    I also don't think a program is sufficiently obfuscated if its workings are
    immediately clear to the reader after running the source through cpp and
    indent!

    Richard Heathfield, May 11, 2006
  11. Toni Guest

    lovely. This surely redefines creative programming.

    Toni, May 14, 2006
  12. Toni <> writes:
    > lovely. This surely redefines creative programming.

    What does?

    Read <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>.

    Keith Thompson, May 14, 2006

    just a test. i just can speak a little englise.

    everybody's answer is so interesting that i can not help reply

    , May 14, 2006
  14. CBFalconer Guest

    wrote:

    > just a test. i just can speak a little englise.
    >
    > everybody's answer is so interesting that i can not help reply

    Then read and heed the following sig.

    CBFalconer, May 14, 2006
  15. On 2006-05-14, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> just a test. i just can speak a little englise.
    >>
    >> everybody's answer is so interesting that i can not help reply

    > Then read and heed the following sig.

    Your sig didn't show that time, it seems.

    Here it is, basically: Click on 'More Options' and 'Add Reply' to reply
    using the Google Groups interface. Don't use the broken 'Reply' button.

    Andrew Poelstra, May 14, 2006
  16. CBFalconer Guest

    Andrew Poelstra wrote:
    > On 2006-05-14, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> just a test. i just can speak a little englise.
    >>>
    >>> everybody's answer is so interesting that i can not help reply

    >> Then read and heed the following sig.

    > Your sig didn't show that time, it seems.
    >
    > Here it is, basically: Click on 'More Options' and 'Add Reply' to
    > reply using the Google Groups interface. Don't use the broken
    > 'Reply' button.

    It normally shows, and is in the usenet article. The only place it
    should be suppressed is in a reply to my article. If your reader
    doesn't show it on a normal read, something is wrong with your
    reader.

    CBFalconer, May 14, 2006
  17. Vladimir Oka Guest

    Andrew Poelstra opined:

    > On 2006-05-14, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> just a test. i just can speak a little englise.
    >>>
    >>> everybody's answer is so interesting that i can not help reply

    >> Then read and heed the following sig.
    >>

    > Your sig didn't show that time, it seems.
    >
    > Here it is, basically: Click on 'More Options' and 'Add Reply' to
    > reply using the Google Groups interface. Don't use the broken 'Reply'
    > button.

    Looked quite alright for me, strangely enough (KNode on SUSE). Usenet
    *is* a strange place, after all.

    --
    Fascinating is a word I use for the unexpected.
    -- Spock, "The Squire of Gothos", stardate 2124.5

    Vladimir Oka, May 14, 2006
  18. On 2006-05-14, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    > Andrew Poelstra wrote:

    >>> Then read and heed the following sig.

    >> Your sig didn't show that time, it seems.
    >>
    >> Here it is, basically: Click on 'More Options' and 'Add Reply' to
    >> reply using the Google Groups interface. Don't use the broken
    >> 'Reply' button.

    > It normally shows, and is in the usenet article. The only place it
    > should be suppressed is in a reply to my article. If your reader
    > doesn't show it on a normal read, something is wrong with your
    > reader.

    True, but the interesting thing is that it /does/ show in every single
    post you make, with the exception of the one that I replied to.
    Perhaps my ISP's news server flaked out or something.

    Andrew Poelstra, May 14, 2006
  19. Andrew Poelstra <> writes:
    > On 2006-05-14, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    >> Andrew Poelstra wrote:

    >>> Your sig didn't show that time, it seems.
    >>>
    >>> Here it is, basically: Click on 'More Options' and 'Add Reply' to
    >>> reply using the Google Groups interface. Don't use the broken
    >>> 'Reply' button.

    >> It normally shows, and is in the usenet article. The only place it
    >> should be suppressed is in a reply to my article. If your reader
    >> doesn't show it on a normal read, something is wrong with your
    >> reader.

    > True, but the interesting thing is that it /does/ show in every single
    > post you make, with the exception of the one that I replied to.
    > Perhaps my ISP's news server flaked out or something.

    That is odd. The sig definitely showed up when I read the article.

    Keith Thompson, May 14, 2006
  20. On 2006-05-14, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
    > On 2006-05-14, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> just a test. i just can speak a little englise.
    >>>
    >>> everybody's answer is so interesting that i can not help reply

    >> Then read and heed the following sig.

    > Your sig didn't show that time, it seems.

    In slrn, toggle showing the sig with \.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
    ===== My code in this post, if any, assumes the POSIX locale