For Masters Only - ASP, Component, and Unicode

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by JJY, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. JJY

    JJY Guest

    I have a component that returns a BSTR string from a method.

    The funny thing is that I have a test.vbs file which instantiates the
    component, calles a method, and writes the returned string into a unicode
    file with OpenTextFile() with -1 for unicode. I can view the double byte
    characters in Internet Browser fine, but when I open the file in binary
    mode, it doesn't seem like the file is in unicode format because I don't see
    a whole bunch of 00's. If I do "Save As" on the file, the file shows that
    the encoding is unicode.

    Now, if I make the same call in ASP and save the returned string into a
    file, again with -1 for OpenTextFile(), the most of double byte characters
    are gone and I see only spaces in a lot of places. Numbers seems to come in
    properly. This file is saved in unicode because I see a whole bunch of
    00's. If I do "Save As" on the file, the file shows that the encoding is
    unicode.

    I need to do this in ASP, using VBScript.

    Help! I am absolutely clueless on this one. I don't know where it begins
    and ends here.

    Thanks.
    JJY, Oct 9, 2003