For Next iterations

Brian Burgess

Hi all,

Is there any 'trick' anyone knows to control a For Next to pass to the next
iteration in ASP VBScript? ..Similar to the 'continue' keyword of C and
C++?

Thanks in advance..

-BB

Brian Burgess

Ah cool. That points me in the right direction...

Kinda makes me feel stupid .. but it works .. :p

thanks

-BB

Brian Burgess

Hey I got a cool way from Walter Zackery/Michael Harris in the VBScript
group...

For Count = 1 to 5
Do
If Count = 3 Then Exit Do
MsgBox Count
Exit Do:Loop
Next

Cool eh? a Do Loop wrapper ..

-BB

Brian Burgess said:
Ah cool. That points me in the right direction...

Kinda makes me feel stupid .. but it works .. :p

thanks

-BB

Tom B

I'm sure I don't see the point. The following does exactly the same thing,
is easier to read and understand by others and is logical.

For Count = 1 to 5
If count <> 3 then
'blah blah blah -- can't use a Msgbox in ASP/VBScript
end if
Next

Brian Burgess said:
Hey I got a cool way from Walter Zackery/Michael Harris in the VBScript
group...

For Count = 1 to 5
Do
If Count = 3 Then Exit Do
MsgBox Count
Exit Do:Loop
Next

Cool eh? a Do Loop wrapper ..

-BB

Evertjan.

Brian Burgess wrote on 29 jul 2003 in
Hey I got a cool way from Walter Zackery/Michael Harris in the VBScript
group...

For Count = 1 to 5
Do
If Count = 3 Then Exit Do
MsgBox Count
Exit Do:Loop
Next

Cool eh? a Do Loop wrapper ..

Silly American word "cool", and wrong too:

If Count=1 the do-loop will trigger indefinitly,
outputting messageboxes galore,
never even reaching count=2

The "Exit do:" as a label is also nonsense,
"Exit do" does not even use/need a label.

Tom B

That's what I was thinking when I first saw it, but I think the colon is
being used as a statement separator.
as in

For Count = 1 to 5
Do
If Count=3 then Exit Do
MsgBox Count
Exit Do
Loop
Next

I think that's what they were going for.

Furthermore, what's wrong with "cool?" I also enjoy saying "sit on it" and
I'm not American.

Brian Burgess

well, pardon my silliness.. however, what I have shown is working
correctly. I dont think it is a label in this case.. in fact I dont
believe labels work at all in script, but not sure if I remember that
correctly anyway. Here I think the colon is interpreted as something like
a new line.
So in this case, the Do only executes once for each iteration of the For
loop no matter what, and the If clause telling it if it can exit earlier.

Anyway, I thought it was elegant.

Thanks for the help..

-BB

Dan Brussee

That's what I was thinking when I first saw it, but I think the colon is
being used as a statement separator.
as in

For Count = 1 to 5
Do
If Count=3 then Exit Do
MsgBox Count
Exit Do
Loop
Next

I think that's what they were going for.

Furthermore, what's wrong with "cool?" I also enjoy saying "sit on it" and
I'm not American.

As others have said, this will loop indefinitely, plus you should not
put a MsgBox command in ANY ASP code - EVER.

A better way might be (also as mentioned before)

For Count = 1 to 5
If Count <> 3 then
' Do something when Count is not 3
End If
Next

Brian Burgess

I needed a way to immediately go to the next iteration of the For(based on
an If clause) without exiting the For altogether.

I have been able to use the MsgBox when the ASP writes out an HTML '/script'
element by the way .. wanna see?

-BB

Brian Burgess

I have shown in a previous message how/why this is working. But I have a
question concerning MsgBox. In this case it is only demo code of course,
but I do have some code that makes an HTML '/script' element which in turn
uses MsgBox. Is this bad as well? And if so, why?

Thanks..

-BB

Brian Burgess

Ah cool!

Yes understood. This is for PocketPC devices which ONLY have PocketIE
presently but only supports jscript (on the client). So MsgBox does not
work.

... Though it did one time .. very odd.

-BB

Evertjan. said:
Brian Burgess wrote on 29 jul 2003 in
But I have a
question concerning MsgBox. In this case it is only demo code of
course, but I do have some code that makes an HTML '/script' element
which in turn uses MsgBox. Is this bad as well? And if so, why?

In Clientside vbscript it is not bad at all.

[Keeping in mind that this vbscript only works in IE]