    Is there anyone out there that can prove that I am right and IE is wrong (or vice versa of course - which will be more likely).

    TIA

    - Nicolaas
    WindAndWaves, Jan 20, 2005

  2. WindAndWaves

    Noozer Guest

    "WindAndWaves" <> wrote in message
    news:X%CHd.9586$...
    > Hi Gurus
    >
    > Please have a look at the following page:
    >
    > www.friars.co.nz/2005/H/dai.php

    I don't know what you used to code that page but the source looks like a
    festering gob of crap! Go back to FrontPage!
    Noozer, Jan 20, 2005

  3. WindAndWaves

    Richard Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:30:08 +1300 WindAndWaves wrote:

    > Hi Gurus

    > Please have a look at the following page:

    > www.friars.co.nz/2005/H/dai.php

    > if you compare the two between Firefox and IE then you will find that
    > in IE the activities and links moves all the way to the left.

    > I have no idea why that is.... having looked at for quite some time and
    > validated both the stylesheet and the page itself, I am
    > still left wondering...

    > Is there anyone out there that can prove that I am right and IE is
    > wrong (or vice versa of course - which will be more likely).

    > TIA

    > - Nicolaas

    IE6 shows the same thing firefox does.
    Maybe IE shows a dotted vertical line instead of a solid one, but other than
    that, no noticable differences.
    Richard, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Noozer wrote:
    > I don't know what you used to code that page but the source looks like a
    > festering gob of crap! Go back to FrontPage!

    "There are some things wrong with your page, but I'm not going to
    explain what and provide advice on correcting it. Instead, I will yell
    at you without giving the slightest bit of help -- even a simple pointer
    to the HTML validator. I do not actually want to help make your page
    better; I simply want to be mean pointlessly."
    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 20, 2005
  5. WindAndWaves

    Noozer Guest

    > IE6 shows the same thing firefox does.
    > Maybe IE shows a dotted vertical line instead of a solid one, but other

    than
    > that, no noticable differences.

    I had to look for it, but, near the bottom of the page there is an unordered
    list where the bullets get cut off on the left side in IE.
    Noozer, Jan 20, 2005
  6. WindAndWaves

    Noozer Guest

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    > Noozer wrote:
    > > I don't know what you used to code that page but the source looks like a
    > > festering gob of crap! Go back to FrontPage!

    > "There are some things wrong with your page, but I'm not going to
    > explain what and provide advice on correcting it. Instead, I will yell
    > at you without giving the slightest bit of help -- even a simple pointer
    > to the HTML validator. I do not actually want to help make your page
    > better; I simply want to be mean pointlessly."

    Pretty much.

    Considering the quality of the question and quality of the code he's pretty
    much asking permission to poke someone in the eye.

    Did you even try and read his source code? Do you even understand what he
    was asking about?
    Noozer, Jan 20, 2005
  7. WindAndWaves

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:40:11 GMT, "Noozer" <> wrote:

    >I don't know what you used to code that page but the source looks like a
    >festering gob of crap! Go back to FrontPage!

    It's spewed out of the back-end of PHP. I'm sure it looked better in
    the original source.

    (Get your layout working right as static HTML before you start doing
    the dynamic stuff as well)
    Andy Dingley, Jan 20, 2005
  8. WindAndWaves

    Richard Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:24:34 -0500 Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Noozer wrote:
    >> I don't know what you used to code that page but the source looks like
    >> festering gob of crap! Go back to FrontPage!

    > "There are some things wrong with your page, but I'm not going to
    > explain what and provide advice on correcting it. Instead, I will yell
    > at you without giving the slightest bit of help -- even a simple
    > pointer
    > to the HTML validator. I do not actually want to help make your page
    > better; I simply want to be mean pointlessly."

    You forgot [sic].
    Richard, Jan 20, 2005
  9. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    "Noozer" <> wrote in message news:mWGHd.128286$8l.79987@pd7tw1no...

    > > IE6 shows the same thing firefox does.
    > > Maybe IE shows a dotted vertical line instead of a solid one, but other

    > than
    > > that, no noticable differences.
    > >

    > I had to look for it, but, near the bottom of the page there is an unordered
    > list where the bullets get cut off on the left side in IE.

    That is the one I am talking about.... Thank you for noticing it. I am sorry that my question was a little unclear.

    As a validator I use, tada, validator.w3.org.

    The page does not contain any php except a few little tricks.

    I am sorry that the source code is on one line. If you throw it into your editor then I am sure it will format it for you...mine
    does not, but then again, I am using MS stuff, dreamweaver certainly will.

    Anyway, it is just a little question, about the unordered bullets moving to the left and why that it.

    Thank you for your comments thus far.

    - Nicolaas
    WindAndWaves, Jan 20, 2005
  10. WindAndWaves

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "WindAndWaves" <> wrote:

    >www.friars.co.nz/2005/H/dai.php
    >
    >if you compare the two between Firefox and IE then you will find that in IE the activities and links moves all the way to the left.
    >
    >I have no idea why that is.... having looked at for quite some time and validated both the stylesheet and the page itself, I am
    >still left wondering...
    >
    >Is there anyone out there that can prove that I am right and IE is wrong (or vice versa of course - which will be more likely).

    In your CSS you have:
    UL { list-style-type: disc; margin-top: 0.2em; margin-bottom: 0.2em; }
    LI { margin-left: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.2em; }

    Some browsers create the indent on a <ul> by giving a default
    margin-left to the <ul>, others create the indent by giving a default
    padding-left to the <ul> and/or a default margin-left to the <li>.

    By setting the margin-left of the <li> but not the margin-left or
    padding-left of the <ul> you change the appearance of the second group
    of browsers but not the first.

    So that's why IE and FF differ. Why does IE screw up one list and not
    the other? Don't know. Opera which uses the same model for <ul>
    indents as IE moves them both over to the left so that the bullets are
    half hidden.

    When playing with list indents it's important to set margin-left and
    padding-left for both <ul> and <li>.
    http://steve.pugh.net/test/test37.html is a bit out of date but may be
    useful.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jan 20, 2005
  11. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "WindAndWaves" <> wrote:
    >
    > >www.friars.co.nz/2005/H/dai.php
    > >
    > >if you compare the two between Firefox and IE then you will find that in IE the activities and links moves all the way to the

    left.

    > >I have no idea why that is.... having looked at for quite some time and validated both the stylesheet and the page itself, I am
    > >still left wondering...
    > >
    > >Is there anyone out there that can prove that I am right and IE is wrong (or vice versa of course - which will be more likely).

    > In your CSS you have:
    > UL { list-style-type: disc; margin-top: 0.2em; margin-bottom: 0.2em; }
    > LI { margin-left: 0px; margin-bottom: 0.2em; }
    >
    > Some browsers create the indent on a <ul> by giving a default
    > margin-left to the <ul>, others create the indent by giving a default
    > padding-left to the <ul> and/or a default margin-left to the <li>.
    >
    > By setting the margin-left of the <li> but not the margin-left or
    > padding-left of the <ul> you change the appearance of the second group
    > of browsers but not the first.
    >
    > So that's why IE and FF differ. Why does IE screw up one list and not
    > the other? Don't know. Opera which uses the same model for <ul>
    > indents as IE moves them both over to the left so that the bullets are
    > half hidden.
    >
    > When playing with list indents it's important to set margin-left and
    > padding-left for both <ul> and <li>.
    > http://steve.pugh.net/test/test37.html is a bit out of date but may be
    > useful.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > --
    > "My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
    > I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor
    >
    > Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    You are a legend Steve, thank you.
    WindAndWaves, Jan 20, 2005
  12. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    "WindAndWaves" <> wrote in message news:X%CHd.9586$...
    > Hi Gurus
    >

    > Is there anyone out there that can prove that I am right and IE is wrong (or vice versa of course - which will be more likely).
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > - Nicolaas

    I found the answer for the moving bullet points in IE. By inserting a single &nbsp; before the UL, you can stop the second
    unordered list from moving all the way to the left (this seems to be an IE bug).

    Cherio

    - Nicolaas
    WindAndWaves, Jan 26, 2005