    The builtin attribute "'LEFT" returns the left bound,
    but I can't find where they define the concept of
    "left of" or "left bound" in the LRM.

    jamesu, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Hi,

    I do not match the requested profile ;-) but you may try the
    the following links:

    http://www.vhdl.org/comp.lang.vhdl/html3/gloss_data.html#left of
    (or http://www.vhdl.org/comp.lang.vhdl/html3/gloss_fr.html)

    Further, IMHO the corresponding section in the VHDL LRM is
    3.1 Scalar types:

    "...
    For values of discrete or physical types, a value V1 is
    said to be to the left of a value V2 within a given range if
    both V1 and V2 belong to the range and either the range
    is an ascending range and V2 is the successor of V1 or
    the range is a descending range and V2 is the predecessor
    of V1. A list of values of a given range is in left to
    right order if each value in the list is to the left
    of the next value in the list within that range,
    except for the last Value in the list.
    ...."

    (this is from the VHDL'93 LRM version)

    --