for you LRM gurus

jamesu

Please, someone tell me where in the LRM there is
a definition of what the "left bound" of a range is.
In particular, for a floating type's range.

type foo is range 1.0 to 5.0;
constant c : real := foo'left;

The builtin attribute "'LEFT" returns the left bound,
but I can't find where they define the concept of
"left of" or "left bound" in the LRM.

Edwin Naroska

Hi,

I do not match the requested profile ;-) but you may try the
the following links:

http://www.vhdl.org/comp.lang.vhdl/html3/gloss_data.html#left of
(or http://www.vhdl.org/comp.lang.vhdl/html3/gloss_fr.html)

Further, IMHO the corresponding section in the VHDL LRM is
3.1 Scalar types:

"...
For values of discrete or physical types, a value V1 is
said to be to the left of a value V2 within a given range if
both V1 and V2 belong to the range and either the range
is an ascending range and V2 is the successor of V1 or
the range is a descending range and V2 is the predecessor
of V1. A list of values of a given range is in left to
right order if each value in the list is to the left
of the next value in the list within that range,
except for the last Value in the list.
...."

(this is from the VHDL'93 LRM version)