Forbidden Deployment?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Russ, May 6, 2004.

  1. Russ

    Russ Guest

    Hello. I have built a web service and C# client to access, which work
    correctly when the client is launched from visual studio.

    Now I tried to deploy the client using the information in the article:

    > Walkthrough: Deploying a Web Solution

    First, that article is very confusing because of incorrect and out of
    order instructions. It needs to be revised. I can supply details if
    desired.

    But I eventually get the deployment project built ok, and deploy the
    client on my local machine. Now when I try to access the client from
    IE, using "http://localhost/xyz", as per the tutorial, I get the "HTTP
    Error 403 - Forbidden" error.

    I think this is a permissions problem, but as I am new to just about
    every aspect of this, I have no clue what permission is lacking, or
    how to fix. I did go into IIS on the server and set access for the
    web service to anonamous (as well as integrated) but that did not
    help. IIS is not installed on my local machine so I cannot do the
    same for the client. (The WebService is built on the server and the
    client is built on the localhost.)

    I also tried to deploy the client on the server and it did deploy, but
    when I try to access the client with IE either from my local machine
    or on the server directly, I get the same 403 error.

    What is the problem?

    Thank you, Russ

    Russ, May 6, 2004

  2. When you deploy a web service project - there is no default page configured
    by default. Try to access the asmx file explicitly like this:

    http://localhost/xyz/abc.asmx

    Alternatively, try setting your asmx file as the default page for your
    virtual folder.

    Manuj Aggarwal

    Manuj Aggarwal, May 7, 2004

  3. Russ

    Russ Guest

    Thank you Mamuj. That works. Now why does the Walkthrough tell me to
    access the page as if it had a default page after deploying? It seems
    like bad information...

    Thanks again, Russ

    Russ, May 7, 2004