    Shawn Guest

    Any ideas how I can have a button click on one open page force a postback on
    a different page.

    Shawn, Feb 23, 2006

  2. Shawn,
    without having the button click load the second page in some way into the
    browser, and calling its __doPostback client script method, I fail to
    understand the logic of why you need to perform this action. Sometimes when
    you provide more information, somebody will come up with a more
    straightforward technique to accomplish your goal?
    Peter
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Feb 23, 2006

  3. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Well, basically I have a page that has a custom control with a hyperlink
    that opens a new page. I want the closing of that page to cause the parent
    page to postback so that I can get a listbox control in the custom control
    to make a new call to the database.

    The new page that is opened from the hyperlink is designed to add a new
    record to the database and the calling control should then automatically
    pull that new record.

    Shawn, Feb 23, 2006
  4. OK.

    One way is for the hyperlink to use client script to open a new window, and
    then you can have the return values come back to the parent page. Here is an
    article or two that illustrate one techinque:

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20050319.asp (with postback in parent)

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20060117.asp (simplified popup technique)

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Feb 23, 2006
  5. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Funny, I briefly looked at this article earlier, I will take the time with
    it as I am using a script to open the new window already. Thanks.

    Shawn, Feb 23, 2006
  6. You might also try the JS function showModalDialog which has a return value
    so that you know when the dialog has closed.

    Peter Rilling, Feb 23, 2006
  7. Shawn

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Hi,

    I've also blogged about one solution which might suit this scenario

    ASP.NET: How to create a postback on a main page from a popup window
    http://aspadvice.com/blogs/joteke/archive/2005/06/15/2340.aspx

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider