Force download?

Samuël van Laere

I've got three MP3 files on a server, people can download them
when i give them the correct location, i point them direct to the file for
example:
http://www.komododragon.co.uk/demo1.mp3 (in case one like to hear more:
demo2 and demo3 are there to ;)

Now these files are played by the standard Mediaplayer on my windows system
when i follow the link.
I asume it can be nice for some people, i also asume some people really
dislike that.
Is there a method to "kind of" force a browser to download the file instead?

And before someone would ask this: yes i own the copyrights to the file(s)
mentioned above, since they are my own creations.
Then again alltough i created the music myself, does this also mean that i
automaticly own the copyright??
I asume that is the case, but i rather ask you people.

rf

Samuël van Laere said:
I've got three MP3 files on a server, people can download them
when i give them the correct location, i point them direct to the file for
example:
http://www.komododragon.co.uk/demo1.mp3 (in case one like to hear more:
demo2 and demo3 are there to ;)

Now these files are played by the standard Mediaplayer on my windows system
when i follow the link.

Fine. As it should be.
I asume it can be nice for some people, i also asume some people really
dislike that.
Is there a method to "kind of" force a browser to download the file
instead?

You used the F word. With a browser there is no such thing as force.

Advise your viewer to "right click and save target as" or its equivalent.
And before someone would ask this: yes i own the copyrights to the file(s)
mentioned above, since they are my own creations.
OK.

Then again alltough i created the music myself, does this also mean that i
automaticly own the copyright??

Yes, if you created the music (with your guitar or your midi equipment or
your computer) then it is yours, you own the copyright.
I asume that is the case, but i rather ask you people.

It's better to ask your lawyer :).

Cheers
Richard.

brucie

I've got three MP3 files on a server, people can download them
when i give them the correct location, i point them direct to the file for
example: http://www.komododragon.co.uk/demo1.mp3 (in case one like to hear more:
demo2 and demo3 are there to ;)

Now these files are played by the standard Mediaplayer on my windows system
when i follow the link.
I asume it can be nice for some people, i also asume some people really
dislike that.

then they can right click on it (or whatever) and select to download
it for later.
Is there a method to "kind of" force a browser to download the file instead?

what you have done is best - just a normal link to the file. the
visitor can then do whatever they like without you trying to force
(something you cant do anyway) what you think the visitor wants to do.

if they want to play the file the link may open their preferred player
or the visitor may have their setup to automatically download the file
for playing later. whatever, a normal link gives the visitor control
over what they want to happen.
Then again alltough i created the music myself, does this also mean that i
automaticly own the copyright??

yes

Samuël van Laere

Both answers work for me, then i'll leave it as it is.
Besides who needs a lawyer when i have you guys ;)

Richard

Samuël said:
I've got three MP3 files on a server, people can download them
when i give them the correct location, i point them direct to the file
for
example:
http://www.komododragon.co.uk/demo1.mp3 (in case one like to hear
more:
demo2 and demo3 are there to ;)
Now these files are played by the standard Mediaplayer on my windows
system
when i follow the link.
I asume it can be nice for some people, i also asume some people
really
dislike that.
Is there a method to "kind of" force a browser to download the file
instead?

I hate sites that do that. I recently visited several sites that demanded I
download and install some damn thing just to visit their site. Bullshit. Yes
it can be done. That's how you wind up with autodialers and other BS you
don't want.
Luckily, smarter browsers have the capability to stop that crap and make the
download ask for permission first.
Unless you want to piss people off, don't do it.
And before someone would ask this: yes i own the copyrights to the
file(s)
mentioned above, since they are my own creations.
Then again alltough i created the music myself, does this also mean
that i
automaticly own the copyright??
I asume that is the case, but i rather ask you people.

As they are your works, copyright is automatically granted.

Talc Ta Matt

You used the F word. With a browser there is no such thing as force.

Tell that to the site links that showed up on my desktop, favs list, changed my
start page, and the dialer that downloaded directly into my program files
folder.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=

Tell that to the site links that showed up on my desktop, favs list, changed my
start page, and the dialer that downloaded directly into my program files
folder.

the site made a suggestion, you allowed the suggestion. there was no
forcing.

Talc Ta Matt

Is there a method to "kind of" force a browser to download the file instead?

Two options...

1. Put each one in a different zip file and force surfers to download that and
open it to get at the MP3. Then just move the MP3 over into the folder of their
choice.

2. Just tell them to right click and save target as.
yes i own the copyrights to the file(s)
mentioned above, since they are my own creations.
Then again alltough i created the music myself, does this also mean that i
automaticly own the copyright??

The copyright thing would be a specific issue to your country. Here in the US a
copyright is put on the work as soon as it's created. As for your ability to
give your own work away, you of course have this right in any country.

Talc Ta Matt

the site made a suggestion, you allowed the suggestion. there was no

You need to brush up on the latest scamming methods online (this is actually
quite old). Yes, it was forced. They use Active X or something to do it. No
download dialogs. The files can secretly be placed anywhere on the computer
that loads the page.

Mark Parnell

Talc said:
You need to brush up on the latest scamming methods online (this is
actually quite old). Yes, it was forced. They use Active X or
something to do it. No download dialogs. The files can secretly be
placed anywhere on the computer that loads the page.

By using a browser that lets them do that, you (albeit by default) "allowed
the suggestion". No force required.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=

You need to brush up on the latest scamming methods online (this is actually
quite old). Yes, it was forced.

no it wasn't
They use Active X or something to do it.

if you didn't like it why did you allow it? its your computer you're
in control.
No download dialogs. The files can secretly be placed anywhere on the
computer that loads the page.

only because you allowed it to happen. nothing was forced, no one or
thing made you accept something you didn't want. you allowed it.

rf

Talc Ta Matt said:
You need to brush up on the latest scamming methods online (this is actually
quite old). Yes, it was forced. They use Active X or something to do it. No
download dialogs. The files can secretly be placed anywhere on the computer
that loads the page.

I suggest you look into the security settings available on whatever browsers
you are using. Such things as you describe simply can not happen on *my*
system.

Cheers
Richard.

rf

Talc Ta Matt said:
instead?

Two options...

1. Put each one in a different zip file

A retrograde step.

Some people to not have any software do deal with a zip file. For example,
Windows 98 ships, out of the box, without any zip support.
and force surfers to download that and

This will not force anything. "Surfers" will still be presented with the
standard download/open dialog.
open it to get at the MP3.

See above.
Then just move the MP3 over into the folder of their
choice.

An unnecessary obfuscation.
2. Just tell them to right click and save target as.

No. Tell them to "use the browsers context menu to save target as or
whatever the equivalent is on their system". Hint: MACs do not *have* a
right mouse button.
The copyright thing would be a specific issue to your country. Here in the US a
copyright is put on the work as soon as it's created.

And each of the countries that have signed the Bern convention, that is just
about all of them.
As for your ability to
give your own work away, you of course have this right in any country.

Yes, but that "giving" must be made very explicit and public, something
along the lines of some text on the site in question saying "All the sound
clips on this site are hereby declared to be in the public domain, by the
direction of the copyright holder, me".

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Nobles

rf said:
Yes, but that "giving" must be made very explicit and public, something
along the lines of some text on the site in question saying "All the sound
clips on this site are hereby declared to be in the public domain, by the
direction of the copyright holder, me".

Nope. You can maintain full copyright on the material while giving away
the files. That's exactly the principal behind the GPL. Nothing which
is protected by the GPL is in the public domain, but it is given away.

rf

Mark Nobles said:
Nope. You can maintain full copyright on the material while giving away
the files. That's exactly the principal behind the GPL. Nothing which
is protected by the GPL is in the public domain, but it is given away.

Er, yes. How does that contradict what I said? There are various "flavours"
of giving away but, in each case, this must be stated. Any work "found" on
the web must be considered to be protected unless the author of that work
has specified otherwise. GPL is one way. Shareware/freeware is another way.
Public domain is another way.

Cheers
Richard.

Talc Ta Matt

Tell them to "use the browsers context menu to save target as or
whatever the equivalent is on their system"

GIVE ME A BREAK! Do you know how stupid many surfers are? These people have to
be led by the hand. Printing what you wrote = mass confusion.
Hint: MACs do not *have* a
right mouse button.

Oh well. That 1% is expendable if it means helping out the other 99%.
Yes, but that "giving" must be made very explicit and public, something
along the lines of some text on the site in question saying "All the sound
clips on this site are hereby declared to be in the public domain, by the
direction of the copyright holder, me".

You are soooo full of it. How old are you? 12?

Talc Ta Matt

only because you allowed it to happen. nothing was forced, no one or
thing made you accept something you didn't want. you allowed it.

According to your train of thought then, if someone gets a virus then it's
their own fault because they allowed it by not having an AV program running.

What is wrong with you?