Force download?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Samuël van Laere, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. I've got three MP3 files on a server, people can download them
    when i give them the correct location, i point them direct to the file for
    example:
    http://www.komododragon.co.uk/demo1.mp3 (in case one like to hear more:
    demo2 and demo3 are there to ;)

    Now these files are played by the standard Mediaplayer on my windows system
    when i follow the link.
    I asume it can be nice for some people, i also asume some people really
    dislike that.
    Is there a method to "kind of" force a browser to download the file instead?

    And before someone would ask this: yes i own the copyrights to the file(s)
    mentioned above, since they are my own creations.
    Then again alltough i created the music myself, does this also mean that i
    automaticly own the copyright??
    I asume that is the case, but i rather ask you people.

    --
    Regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    Samuël van Laere, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Samuël van Laere

    rf Guest

    "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote in message
    > I've got three MP3 files on a server, people can download them
    > when i give them the correct location, i point them direct to the file for
    > example:
    > http://www.komododragon.co.uk/demo1.mp3 (in case one like to hear more:
    > demo2 and demo3 are there to ;)
    >
    > Now these files are played by the standard Mediaplayer on my windows

    system
    > when i follow the link.

    Fine. As it should be.

    > I asume it can be nice for some people, i also asume some people really
    > dislike that.
    > Is there a method to "kind of" force a browser to download the file

    instead?

    You used the F word. With a browser there is no such thing as force.

    Advise your viewer to "right click and save target as" or its equivalent.

    > And before someone would ask this: yes i own the copyrights to the file(s)
    > mentioned above, since they are my own creations.

    OK.

    > Then again alltough i created the music myself, does this also mean that i
    > automaticly own the copyright??

    Yes, if you created the music (with your guitar or your midi equipment or
    your computer) then it is yours, you own the copyright.

    > I asume that is the case, but i rather ask you people.

    It's better to ask your lawyer :).

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Samuël van Laere

    brucie Guest

    In post <dWfcb.233460$>
    Samuël van Laere said...

    > I've got three MP3 files on a server, people can download them
    > when i give them the correct location, i point them direct to the file for
    > example: http://www.komododragon.co.uk/demo1.mp3 (in case one like to hear more:
    > demo2 and demo3 are there to ;)
    >
    > Now these files are played by the standard Mediaplayer on my windows system
    > when i follow the link.
    > I asume it can be nice for some people, i also asume some people really
    > dislike that.

    then they can right click on it (or whatever) and select to download
    it for later.

    > Is there a method to "kind of" force a browser to download the file instead?

    what you have done is best - just a normal link to the file. the
    visitor can then do whatever they like without you trying to force
    (something you cant do anyway) what you think the visitor wants to do.

    if they want to play the file the link may open their preferred player
    or the visitor may have their setup to automatically download the file
    for playing later. whatever, a normal link gives the visitor control
    over what they want to happen.

    > Then again alltough i created the music myself, does this also mean that i
    > automaticly own the copyright??

    yes

    --
    24/September/2003 10:32:07 pm
    brucie, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Both answers work for me, then i'll leave it as it is.
    Besides who needs a lawyer when i have you guys ;)

    --
    Regards,
    Samuël
    Samuël van Laere, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Samuël van Laere

    Kae Verens Guest

    Samuël van Laere wrote:
    > Is there a method to "kind of" force a browser to download the file instead?

    nope, but a good read of http://php.net/header gives some ideas on
    helping the browser along

    Kae
    Kae Verens, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Samuël van Laere wrote:
    > Besides who needs a lawyer when i have you guys ;)

    ooops ;o)

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Samuël van Laere

    Richard Guest

    Samuël wrote:

    > I've got three MP3 files on a server, people can download them
    > when i give them the correct location, i point them direct to the file
    > for
    > example:
    > http://www.komododragon.co.uk/demo1.mp3 (in case one like to hear
    > more:
    > demo2 and demo3 are there to ;)

    > Now these files are played by the standard Mediaplayer on my windows
    > system
    > when i follow the link.
    > I asume it can be nice for some people, i also asume some people
    > really
    > dislike that.
    > Is there a method to "kind of" force a browser to download the file
    > instead?

    I hate sites that do that. I recently visited several sites that demanded I
    download and install some damn thing just to visit their site. Bullshit. Yes
    it can be done. That's how you wind up with autodialers and other BS you
    don't want.
    Luckily, smarter browsers have the capability to stop that crap and make the
    download ask for permission first.
    Unless you want to piss people off, don't do it.

    > And before someone would ask this: yes i own the copyrights to the
    > file(s)
    > mentioned above, since they are my own creations.
    > Then again alltough i created the music myself, does this also mean
    > that i
    > automaticly own the copyright??
    > I asume that is the case, but i rather ask you people.

    As they are your works, copyright is automatically granted.
    Richard, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Samuël van Laere

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    >You used the F word. With a browser there is no such thing as force.

    Tell that to the site links that showed up on my desktop, favs list, changed my
    start page, and the dialer that downloaded directly into my program files
    folder.
    Talc Ta Matt, Sep 25, 2003
  9. In post <>
    Talc Ta Matt said...

    >>You used the F word. With a browser there is no such thing as force.

    > Tell that to the site links that showed up on my desktop, favs list, changed my
    > start page, and the dialer that downloaded directly into my program files
    > folder.

    the site made a suggestion, you allowed the suggestion. there was no
    forcing.

    --
    25/September/2003 12:40:20 pm
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=, Sep 25, 2003
  10. Samuël van Laere

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    >Is there a method to "kind of" force a browser to download the file instead?

    Two options...

    1. Put each one in a different zip file and force surfers to download that and
    open it to get at the MP3. Then just move the MP3 over into the folder of their
    choice.

    2. Just tell them to right click and save target as.

    >yes i own the copyrights to the file(s)
    >mentioned above, since they are my own creations.
    >Then again alltough i created the music myself, does this also mean that i
    >automaticly own the copyright??

    The copyright thing would be a specific issue to your country. Here in the US a
    copyright is put on the work as soon as it's created. As for your ability to
    give your own work away, you of course have this right in any country.
    Talc Ta Matt, Sep 25, 2003
  11. Samuël van Laere

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    >the site made a suggestion, you allowed the suggestion. there was no
    >forcing.

    You need to brush up on the latest scamming methods online (this is actually
    quite old). Yes, it was forced. They use Active X or something to do it. No
    download dialogs. The files can secretly be placed anywhere on the computer
    that loads the page.
    Talc Ta Matt, Sep 25, 2003
  12. Samuël van Laere

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Talc Ta Matt wrote:
    >> the site made a suggestion, you allowed the suggestion. there was no
    >> forcing.

    > You need to brush up on the latest scamming methods online (this is
    > actually quite old). Yes, it was forced. They use Active X or
    > something to do it. No download dialogs. The files can secretly be
    > placed anywhere on the computer that loads the page.

    By using a browser that lets them do that, you (albeit by default) "allowed
    the suggestion". No force required.

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Sep 25, 2003
  13. In post <>
    Talc Ta Matt said...

    >>the site made a suggestion, you allowed the suggestion. there was no
    >>forcing.

    > You need to brush up on the latest scamming methods online (this is actually
    > quite old). Yes, it was forced.

    no it wasn't

    > They use Active X or something to do it.

    if you didn't like it why did you allow it? its your computer you're
    in control.

    > No download dialogs. The files can secretly be placed anywhere on the
    > computer that loads the page.

    only because you allowed it to happen. nothing was forced, no one or
    thing made you accept something you didn't want. you allowed it.

    --
    25/September/2003 01:03:43 pm
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=, Sep 25, 2003
  14. Samuël van Laere

    rf Guest

    "Talc Ta Matt" <> wrote in message
    > >the site made a suggestion, you allowed the suggestion. there was no
    > >forcing.

    > You need to brush up on the latest scamming methods online (this is

    actually
    > quite old). Yes, it was forced. They use Active X or something to do it.

    No
    > download dialogs. The files can secretly be placed anywhere on the

    computer
    > that loads the page.

    I suggest you look into the security settings available on whatever browsers
    you are using. Such things as you describe simply can not happen on *my*
    system.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 25, 2003
  15. Samuël van Laere

    > >Is there a method to "kind of" force a browser to download the file

    instead?

    > Two options...
    >
    > 1. Put each one in a different zip file

    A retrograde step.

    Some people to not have any software do deal with a zip file. For example,
    Windows 98 ships, out of the box, without any zip support.

    > and force surfers to download that and

    This will not force anything. "Surfers" will still be presented with the
    standard download/open dialog.

    > open it to get at the MP3.

    See above.

    > Then just move the MP3 over into the folder of their
    > choice.

    An unnecessary obfuscation.

    > 2. Just tell them to right click and save target as.

    No. Tell them to "use the browsers context menu to save target as or
    whatever the equivalent is on their system". Hint: MACs do not *have* a
    right mouse button.

    > >yes i own the copyrights to the file(s)
    > >mentioned above, since they are my own creations.
    > >Then again alltough i created the music myself, does this also mean that

    > >automaticly own the copyright??

    > The copyright thing would be a specific issue to your country. Here in the

    US a
    > copyright is put on the work as soon as it's created.

    And each of the countries that have signed the Bern convention, that is just
    about all of them.

    > As for your ability to
    > give your own work away, you of course have this right in any country.

    Yes, but that "giving" must be made very explicit and public, something
    along the lines of some text on the site in question saying "All the sound
    clips on this site are hereby declared to be in the public domain, by the
    direction of the copyright holder, me".

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 25, 2003
  16. Samuël van Laere

    Mark Nobles Guest

    rf <> wrote:
    > "Talc Ta Matt" <> wrote:

    > > As for your ability to
    > > give your own work away, you of course have this right in any country.

    > Yes, but that "giving" must be made very explicit and public, something
    > along the lines of some text on the site in question saying "All the sound
    > clips on this site are hereby declared to be in the public domain, by the
    > direction of the copyright holder, me".

    Nope. You can maintain full copyright on the material while giving away
    the files. That's exactly the principal behind the GPL. Nothing which
    is protected by the GPL is in the public domain, but it is given away.
    Mark Nobles, Sep 25, 2003
  17. Samuël van Laere

    rf Guest

    rf, Sep 25, 2003
  18. Samuël van Laere

    > rf <> wrote:
    > > "Talc Ta Matt" <> wrote:

    > > > As for your ability to
    > > > give your own work away, you of course have this right in any country.

    > > Yes, but that "giving" must be made very explicit and public, something
    > > along the lines of some text on the site in question saying "All the

    sound
    > > clips on this site are hereby declared to be in the public domain, by

    the
    > > direction of the copyright holder, me".

    > Nope. You can maintain full copyright on the material while giving away
    > the files. That's exactly the principal behind the GPL. Nothing which
    > is protected by the GPL is in the public domain, but it is given away.

    Er, yes. How does that contradict what I said? There are various "flavours"
    of giving away but, in each case, this must be stated. Any work "found" on
    the web must be considered to be protected unless the author of that work
    has specified otherwise. GPL is one way. Shareware/freeware is another way.
    Public domain is another way.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 25, 2003
  19. Samuël van Laere

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    >Tell them to "use the browsers context menu to save target as or
    >whatever the equivalent is on their system"

    GIVE ME A BREAK! Do you know how stupid many surfers are? These people have to
    be led by the hand. Printing what you wrote = mass confusion.

    >Hint: MACs do not *have* a
    >right mouse button.

    Oh well. That 1% is expendable if it means helping out the other 99%.

    >Yes, but that "giving" must be made very explicit and public, something
    >along the lines of some text on the site in question saying "All the sound
    >clips on this site are hereby declared to be in the public domain, by the
    >direction of the copyright holder, me".

    You are soooo full of it. How old are you? 12?
    Talc Ta Matt, Sep 25, 2003
  20. Samuël van Laere

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    >only because you allowed it to happen. nothing was forced, no one or
    >thing made you accept something you didn't want. you allowed it.

    According to your train of thought then, if someone gets a virus then it's
    their own fault because they allowed it by not having an AV program running.

    What is wrong with you?
    Talc Ta Matt, Sep 25, 2003