Force download?

rf

Talc Ta Matt said:
According to your train of thought then, if someone gets a virus then it's
their own fault because they allowed it by not having an AV program
running.

If you stand in the middle of a street you are eventually going to get hit
by a bus.

If you allow your operating system/applications to be as wide open as you
have indicated yours to be then eventually you are going to get a virus.

Viruses do not "force", they exploit the doors that are left wide open by
you. True, those doors may have been left open by the manufacturer of the
operating system but it is a simple matter for you to close them with, at
the very least, an anti virus system and a firewall. You don't go out in the
rain without your umbrella for protection do you?
What is wrong with you?

Er, I could ask the same of you :)

Cheers
Richard.

rf

Talc Ta Matt said:
GIVE ME A BREAK! Do you know how stupid many surfers are? These people have to
be led by the hand. Printing what you wrote = mass confusion.

Oh well. That 1% is expendable if it means helping out the other 99%.

You are soooo full of it. How old are you? 12?

<alert>Straw man arugument</alert>

Cheers
Richard.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=

You are soooo full of it. How old are you? 12?

now i remember why your posts are highlighted in orange. you're an
idiot thats best ignored rather than a topposter which is the usual
reason for the orange highlight.

i think i'll have to setup a new score file for idiots. #FFECFB is
nice.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=

According to your train of thought then, if someone gets a virus then it's
their own fault because they allowed it by not having an AV program running.

of course its their fault and although i don't use AV software i have
never been infected by a virus despite micro$ofts best attempts at
leaving as many security holes open that they could think of.
What is wrong with you?

i have a small peepee

Joel Shepherd

brucie said:
i have a small peepee

If you'd like, I'd be happy to forward you some of the many fantastic
e-mail offers I receive daily for penile (that's peepee to you)
enlargement treatments.

There's even a patch!

Mark Nobles

rf said:
Er, yes. How does that contradict what I said? There are various "flavours"
of giving away but, in each case, this must be stated. Any work "found" on
the web must be considered to be protected unless the author of that work
has specified otherwise. GPL is one way. Shareware/freeware is another way.
Public domain is another way.
Ok. Then we agree. What your original statement looked like to me was
that you had to put the material into the public domain to post it. Now
you have clarified that and I cannot argue with you any more.

Well, at least not about this >:->

Mark

rf

Mark Nobles said:
Ok. Then we agree. What your original statement looked like to me was
that you had to put the material into the public domain to post it. Now
you have clarified that and I cannot argue with you any more.

Well, at least not about this >:->

<grin>
But of course, sir
</grin>

Cheers
Richard.

EightNineThree

Talc Ta Matt said:
According to your train of thought then, if someone gets a virus then it's
their own fault because they allowed it by not having an AV program
running.

Exactly.
*your* computer is under *your* control.

William Tasso

Joel said:
If you'd like, I'd be happy to forward you some of the many fantastic
e-mail offers I receive daily for penile (that's peepee to you)
enlargement treatments.

Please install New Girlfriend 2.1 or later for the best results.
There's even a patch!

in case your inflatable gets a puncture?

Kris

2. Just tell them to right click and save target as.

No. Tell them to "use the browsers context menu to save target as or
whatever the equivalent is on their system". Hint: MACs do not *have* a
right mouse button.[/QUOTE]

Mine have. But they are not Apple mice. Apple mice have (or actually
_are_) one button. The new wireless peripherals of Apple look cool, btw.

rf

William Tasso said:
Please install New Girlfriend 2.1 or later for the best results.

This has been discussed here before. Girlfriend 2.1 is totally incompatible
with Wife 1.0. You have to be very sure to uninstall Wife 1.0 before even
considering the use of Girlfriend 2.1.

Cheers
Richard.

rf

Kris said:
No. Tell them to "use the browsers context menu to save target as or
whatever the equivalent is on their system". Hint: MACs do not *have* a
right mouse button.

Mine have. But they are not Apple mice. Apple mice have (or actually
_are_) one button. The new wireless peripherals of Apple look cool, btw.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. Disadvantaged.

My mouse has a grand total of 5 buttons. One has to be very carefull
grasping it or ones browser will take one off to a porn site :)

Cheers
Richard.

Peacenik

Samuël van Laere said:
I've got three MP3 files on a server, people can download them
when i give them the correct location, i point them direct to the file for
example:
http://www.komododragon.co.uk/demo1.mp3 (in case one like to hear more:
demo2 and demo3 are there to ;)

Now these files are played by the standard Mediaplayer on my windows system
when i follow the link.
I asume it can be nice for some people, i also asume some people really
dislike that.
Is there a method to "kind of" force

Never force anything on anyone on the Internet.

Nicolai P. Zwar

rf said:
I suggest you look into the security settings available on whatever browsers
you are using. Such things as you describe simply can not happen on *my*
system.

You can prevent them from happening on any Win9x/NT/XP system, even on
those with IE as standard browser. Admittedly, standard security on
Windows systems is practically non-existent in most cases if you rely on
the standard settings, but they can be changed to fit your needs. If you
know what you are doing, chances are you'll get by fine even without an
AV-Scanner and/or a firewall.
Active-X, however, is a high security risk. I hardly ever use IE and
have Active-X turned off except for "trusted sites", which I can add
manually at will. Active-X can indeed be set to allow any website to run
any code on your PC in the background. It's a gift from heaven for
dialer programmers.

William Tasso

rf said:
This has been discussed here before. Girlfriend 2.1 is totally
incompatible with Wife 1.0. You have to be very sure to uninstall
Wife 1.0 before even considering the use of Girlfriend 2.1.

pffl - that's nothing. ever seen what happens when you try to install two
versions of Wife 1.0. It's not pretty. There are some Open Source versions
of Wife that will happily co-exist but there are environmental issues that
are not trivial to overcome.

Been doing some research - apparantly the installations of Wife 1.0 and
Girfriend 2.1 will detect each other even if installed in different
partitions. They will then compete for resources each grabbing evey
available cycle resulting in complete system failure.

Girlfriend 2.1 is still very much in beta and can be fickle at the best of
times, although when fully operational is a great performer. Trivial to
uninstall without serious harm. In comparison, Wife 1.0 is a stable release
and can be relied on even in the event of failing hardware although a major
rebuild will be necessary if ever uninstalled.

Both are predatory by nature and should not be allowed exposure to any Bank
Account installation as they will consume all available resources.

Isofarro

Talc said:
GIVE ME A BREAK! Do you know how stupid many surfers are?

So you think they are too stupid to right click a link, but not too stupid
as to go to a different website, download a zip utility, find where it
actually downloaded it to, install it, come back to your website click your
link again, find where the browser stuck the file this time, figure out how
to use unzip to extract the file and then figure out what to do with the
extracted file - _without_ you documenting what needs doing?

Whitecrest

So you think they are too stupid to right click a link, but not too stupid
as to go to a different website...

Actually yes, I think an overwhelming number surfers are too stupid to
do that. I think proof of that they still use IE. Remember these are
the same stupid people that can't install and use a different browser.

Toby A Inkster

Whitecrest said:
Actually yes, I think an overwhelming number surfers are too stupid to
do that. I think proof of that they still use IE.

You snipped Isofarro's main point: if the user is too stupid to
right-click, then they are also too stupid to install ZIP software.

So don't rely on the user being able to deal with ZIP files.