Force FONT

Zrinko

Hey!

If somebody tries to see my web page, and I'm using a font that's not the
usual type, is it posibble to somehow make the user browsing the site see
the font even though he doesn't have it installed on his computer? Any
advices or links would be useful. Thank you.

regards,
Zrinko.

saz

Hey!

If somebody tries to see my web page, and I'm using a font that's not the
usual type, is it posibble to somehow make the user browsing the site see
the font even though he doesn't have it installed on his computer? Any
advices or links would be useful. Thank you.

regards,
Zrinko.
The viewer will only see the specified font if it is installed on
his/her computer, so always add a few more "safe" choices to your
stylesheet such as arial, geneva, verdana, etc. to come close to your
desired font. The only way around this is if the font is part of an
image.

Steve Pugh

Zrinko said:
If somebody tries to see my web page, and I'm using a font that's not the
usual type, is it posibble to somehow make the user browsing the site see
the font even though he doesn't have it installed on his computer? Any
advices or links would be useful. Thank you.

See the thread "Problem with fonts" from last week.

Methods that may help you reach some percentage of users:
1. Use graphics (non-scalable, bandwidth intensive)
2. Use WEFT (Win IE only)
3. Use sIFR (requires Flash and JS to be enabled and good DOM support,
only suitable for small amounts of text)

If your font is more important to your message than your actual words
then the WWW is the wrong medium.

Steve

Carolyn Marenger

Hey!

If somebody tries to see my web page, and I'm using a font that's not the
usual type, is it posibble to somehow make the user browsing the site see
the font even though he doesn't have it installed on his computer? Any
advices or links would be useful. Thank you.

regards,
Zrinko.

Another option is to put the font on your site and recommend users
download and install it to view the site. Check out legal issues about
ownership and distribution of the font before you do so.

Those that want to see your site as you designed it, will at least get a
step closer to it. Those like myself - I won't download a font to see a
site, I'll leave the site first.

Carolyn

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
If your font is more important to your message than your actual words
then the WWW is the wrong medium.

Duh. Completely wrong. :) The look and feel may BE the message. There
may be no content beyond what it looks like. WWW is an entertainment
medium as well you know. Dont box yourself in just because it's trendy!

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Steve Pugh

SpaceGirl said:
Duh. Completely wrong. :)
Again?

The look and feel may BE the message.

Then the message can not be communicated on the WWW. It can be
communicated on some subset of the WWW and the techniques I outlined
can be used to reach various of those subsets.
There may be no content beyond what it looks like.

Then use an image. But don't expect everyone to be able to see it.
Presumably the alt attribute will be empty as users who can't see the
image can't get the content here at all?
WWW is an entertainment medium as well you know.

Entertainme covers a lot of things.

The point here is probably the difference between art (where without
the exact font the whole sense of the piece is changed) and design
(where the limitations of the medium are understood and where a font
can be used to enhance an experience but where the underlying message
can exist without that font). Normally I assume that people posting
here are designing web sites for some purpose not producing works of
art for art's sake.
Dont box yourself in just because it's trendy!

Oh, I'm not into _that_. Where's brucie when you need him?

Steve

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
Then the message can not be communicated on the WWW. It can be
communicated on some subset of the WWW and the techniques I outlined
can be used to reach various of those subsets.

LOL you what? If it is delivered via WWW (Internet, HTTP) then it is
being comminicated OVER WWW. You might as well say graphics are a subset
of the WWW given your definition :) There are no "subsets"! WWW is a
delivery medium. It can contain anything. Just one of those things it
contains may be HTML - or video, or graphics, or anything - all
contained with an HTML document.
Then use an image. But don't expect everyone to be able to see it.
Presumably the alt attribute will be empty as users who can't see the
image can't get the content here at all?

No, you take the usual steps. I was just annoyed by a bunch of people in
here who think standards, accessibility etc etc are more important that
actually providing something INTERESTING. Everyone is so fucking
bothered about all this crap they are forgetting about THE DESIGN.
Whatever happened to innovation? For crying outloud, everyone is turning
into short-sighed web programmers who think validating HTML = the best
side ever design, and that anything vaguelly wiffing of "design" is bad.
Entertainme covers a lot of things.

Uh huh.
The point here is probably the difference between art (where without
the exact font the whole sense of the piece is changed) and design
(where the limitations of the medium are understood and where a font
can be used to enhance an experience but where the underlying message
can exist without that font). Normally I assume that people posting
here are designing web sites for some purpose not producing works of
art for art's sake.

Of course. But art and design are part of EVERYTHING. Especially the
latter. Without DESIGN you might as well not even start.
Oh, I'm not into _that_. Where's brucie when you need him?

Steve

*kissy* :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Steve Pugh

SpaceGirl said:
LOL you what?

Which of my words did you have difficulty understanding?
f it is delivered via WWW (Internet, HTTP) then it is
being comminicated OVER WWW.

But if only a portion of the WWW can actually get the message that is
communicated by these words in this exact font then only a portion can
get the message. You're the one who claims that the look and feel may
be the message. Not an adjunct to the message, not an enhancement of
the message, not part of the message, but the actual message itself.
How do you get that message across to people who can't see your font?
You might as well say graphics are a subset
of the WWW given your definition :)

They are.
There are no "subsets"!

Of course there are.
WWW is a delivery medium. It can contain anything.

And not everyone on the WWW can see everything that is delivered over
it. Or hadn't you realised that yet?
Just one of those things it
contains may be HTML - or video, or graphics, or anything - all
contained with an HTML document.

You don't even need the HTML.
No, you take the usual steps.

Please elaborate?

If the look and feel is the message then how do I communicate that
message if I can not use the look and feel?

I agree that there are cases where a particulat font may be needed (a
typography tutorial may need to explain differences between fonts
showing particular fonts) and in that case an image is the best option
but by it's very nature the information in that image can not be fully
communicated via an alt attribute. So the subset of the WWW that can
not see the image can not get the message.

On the other hand if the font is an enhancement to the message (and
not the message itself) you can use any of the techniques I outlined
in my first post in this thread with the understanding that some part
of your audience will get the message in its unenhanced form.
I was just annoyed by a bunch of people in
here who think standards, accessibility etc etc are more important that
actually providing something INTERESTING.

Name one person who has ever said that? Give us references to some
posts? Everyone here (well excepting Richard of course) is into
providing interesting content. Those with some design talent will also
be able to present that content in an interesting way.

I'm not a designer (look at http://www.stevepugh.net/VTT/ for my
latest personal site), I don't speak on design issues, but every day
in my working life I advise designers on what is and is not possible
and practical on the WWW. And that's what I'm doing in this thread -
if your message needs a particular font then the message can not reach
the whole WWW. That's a fact of the medium.
Everyone is so fucking
bothered about all this crap they are forgetting about THE DESIGN.

As I said, part of design, indeed the key part, is understanding the
medium you are working in.
Whatever happened to innovation?

It's alive and well.
For crying outloud, everyone is turning
into short-sighed web programmers who think validating HTML = the best
side ever design, and that anything vaguelly wiffing of "design" is bad.

Again, who says that?

Validating HTML is about validating HTML, it has nothing to do with
design. There is a huge range of designs that can be built with valid,
semantically sound, accessible, usable code. A good designer listens
when the developer tells them when they've strayed outside the
possibilities of the medium. A bad designer stamps their foot and
insists on a 200kb+ page with flash and iframes and all the text
rendered as graphics. Oddly enough such sites tend to get redeveloped
rather quickly when the marketing department looks at the results...
Of course. But art and design are part of EVERYTHING. Especially the
latter. Without DESIGN you might as well not even start.

If a designer tells me that a site _must_ use a particular font then I
will conclude that said designer either doesn't understand the WWW as
a medium or that they have pretensions of art. They can suggest a font
and depending on a number of factors that font may or may not be seen
by some percentage of visitors.

Steve

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
But if only a portion of the WWW can actually get the message that is
communicated by these words in this exact font then only a portion can
get the message. You're the one who claims that the look and feel may
be the message. Not an adjunct to the message, not an enhancement of
the message, not part of the message, but the actual message itself.
How do you get that message across to people who can't see your font?

They do get the font. You were the one who said they cannot. Graphics or
Flash. While I dont think these are realy solutions for most cases,
there ARE occasions where you have to be opened minded and say, yeah
okay, for the sake of brand we can have a paragraph rendered as an
image. Or Flash. It is REALLY arrogant and short sighted to simply say
"no", which is what you did. You have to think more creatively than
that. The only limits here are ones YOU are setting. That doesn't
automatically make them applicable to everyone else.
They are.

They are part of it.
Of course there are.

Only in a way that books are a subset of "media printed on paper".
And not everyone on the WWW can see everything that is delivered over
it. Or hadn't you realised that yet?

Of COURSE. Duh. But you dont make web sites for "everone on the WWW". If
you're even trying, you're doing it wrong. You design for your audience,
not everyone.
Please elaborate?

You do what is required to indicate a particular bit of media is not
available without the correct "viewer". You also provide the legally
required accessible versions of your content, where possible.
If the look and feel is the message then how do I communicate that
message if I can not use the look and feel?

You misunderstood :)
I agree that there are cases where a particulat font may be needed (a
typography tutorial may need to explain differences between fonts
showing particular fonts) and in that case an image is the best option
but by it's very nature the information in that image can not be fully
communicated via an alt attribute. So the subset of the WWW that can
not see the image can not get the message.

Yes. Because you dont design for everyone. Like any form of media, you
design for a particular audience.
On the other hand if the font is an enhancement to the message (and
not the message itself) you can use any of the techniques I outlined
in my first post in this thread with the understanding that some part
of your audience will get the message in its unenhanced form.

Yes of course. I'm not arguing against your technical advice at all (you
were quite right). I'm talking about bigger design issues :)
Name one person who has ever said that? Give us references to some
posts? Everyone here (well excepting Richard of course) is into
providing interesting content. Those with some design talent will also
be able to present that content in an interesting way.

Just read over the posts. See what the subjects are. It's all technical,
or people bitching about what you cannot.
I'm not a designer (look at http://www.stevepugh.net/VTT/ for my
latest personal site), I don't speak on design issues, but every day
in my working life I advise designers on what is and is not possible
and practical on the WWW. And that's what I'm doing in this thread -
if your message needs a particular font then the message can not reach
the whole WWW. That's a fact of the medium.

Which is wrong. Because there are ways of delivery a font to a client,
so long as they have a visual way of displaying content (ah, gotta have
your accessibility caveat :))
As I said, part of design, indeed the key part, is understanding the
medium you are working in.
Yes.

It's alive and well.

Very little evidence of this outside of rich media sites.
Again, who says that?

It's a general theme in here, and a number of other groups. Nobody ever
comments on designs. They just bitch about technical stuff.
Validating HTML is about validating HTML, it has nothing to do with
design.
Exactly.

There is a huge range of designs that can be built with valid,
semantically sound, accessible, usable code. A good designer listens
when the developer tells them when they've strayed outside the
possibilities of the medium. A bad designer stamps their foot and
insists on a 200kb+ page with flash and iframes and all the text
rendered as graphics. Oddly enough such sites tend to get redeveloped
rather quickly when the marketing department looks at the results...
Yes.

If a designer tells me that a site _must_ use a particular font then I
will conclude that said designer either doesn't understand the WWW as
a medium or that they have pretensions of art. They can suggest a font
and depending on a number of factors that font may or may not be seen
by some percentage of visitors.

Steve

You'd be wrong then. Sometimes "font X" is EXACTLY what is required
because it's part of brand or image. You must find a way to achieve that
without making your site unsable. A good designer will know that "fond
X" cannot be used for everything on the site, so wouldn't ask for it in
the first place. However were it IS required, you should provide it.

It is terribly short sighted to suggest WWW cannot be aristic, which
seems to be the jist of your comment. To me, it seems that you dont have
a clue about interacting with people on an emotional level. Art/Design
are one and the same thing. HOW design is more important that the
content. Always. If you get the design wrong, you may as well have the
no content. If you get the design right, it in itself can be form of
content (and this kinda gets very recursive. Never mind!).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

kchayka

SpaceGirl said:
Everyone is so fucking
bothered about all this crap they are forgetting about THE DESIGN.

I wouldn't be so bothered if THE DESIGN didn't often get in the way of
actually using a site. Crappy design is abundant, good design is pretty
rare.

Toby Inkster

SpaceGirl said:
For crying outloud, everyone is turning into short-sighed web
programmers who think validating HTML = the best side ever design, and
that anything vaguelly wiffing of "design" is bad.

And the inverse would be better?

SpaceGirl

kchayka said:
I wouldn't be so bothered if THE DESIGN didn't often get in the way of
actually using a site. Crappy design is abundant, good design is pretty
rare.

Agreed :/

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Steve Pugh

SpaceGirl said:
They do get the font. You were the one who said they cannot.

I said that not all of them will get the font. You have yet to show
otherwise.
Graphics or Flash. While I dont think these are realy solutions for most cases,
there ARE occasions where you have to be opened minded and say, yeah
okay, for the sake of brand we can have a paragraph rendered as an
image. Or Flash.

And the people who don't have images or flash switched on don't get
the font. Just like I said.
It is REALLY arrogant and short sighted to simply say
"no", which is what you did.

I said that not everyone will get the font, and I offered methods that
will get the font to certain percentages, that's the best that can be
done. Can you show a way to have everyone see the font?
You have to think more creatively than that.

I offered solutions that will reach large portions of the audience
The only limits here are ones YOU are setting.

No it's a limitation of the WWW as a medium. Or can you demonstrate a
way that means that every single visitor will get the font? You can't
because it isn't possible.
That doesn't automatically make them applicable to everyone else.

Yes it is. Unless you know the personal and technological profile of
every individual visitor your site will ever have you can not claim
that the font can be seen by all visitors.
They are part of it.

Glad we agree. Or are you using some strange definition of subset that
means something other "a part of"?
Of COURSE. Duh. But you dont make web sites for "everone on the WWW".

Potentially. Why should I not?
If you're even trying, you're doing it wrong.

Not at all. A web page is available to everyone on the web and I don't
want to do anything to reduce that. Even if they get a less enhanced
presentation or fewer bells and whistles they can still get that
content. And if the content can not presented in any way other than
with a certain font then that is impossible and hence that content is
not suited for the WWW. It can still be put up on the WWW but some
people may get it wrong.

Let's say someone wanted to put text from Mein Kampf (is that a
Godwin? I think it's a fair example here) online displayed in a comedy
font. Users who see it in the ordinary font will get a very different
impression than those who see it in the comedy font.

This is the sort of thing that I'm talking about when I say that if a
font is essential for a message (i.e. to elicit a certain emotional
response) then the message is not suitable for the WWW. Not some
marketing blurb displayed in the corporate typeface - in that case the
typeface and copywriting will hopefully complement each other so that
if the typeface isn't see then message still has the same tone.
You design for your audience, not everyone.

I have never seen any convincing statistics that give a string
correlation between demographics and/or interest groups and the
technology they use or the disabilities they may have. If you have
maybe you could the post the URL here.
You do what is required to indicate a particular bit of media is not
available without the correct "viewer". You also provide the legally
required accessible versions of your content, where possible.

For my example above - if you render whole pages of text as graphics
then you make the page too large for many users, you also hit an
accessibility problem. If you add an alt text then users who see the
alt text and not the graphic will get the wrong font and hence the
wrong message. If you omit the alt text then those users get a blank
page. If you say "Passage from Mein Kampf shown in a comedy font" then
you rather spoli the joke. So how can these people get the message?
How is it possible?
You misunderstood :)

Then you didn't explain it well enough. You said that "the look and
feel may BE the message". Not part of the message, not and enhancement
to the message. But the message itself. So what did you really mean?
Yes. Because you dont design for everyone. Like any form of media, you
design for a particular audience.

Again, show me the correlation between demographics and technology.
Show me the correlation between liking a certain band and having or
having a certain disability. Where are the studies that allow you to
know what your target audience can or can not see on the WWW?
Just read over the posts. See what the subjects are. It's all technical,

This is a technical newsgroup. There are design orientated newgroups.
You may be better off discussing design issues in those. (Though IIRC
you first arrived here during a cross posted thread from one of those
groups.)
Which is wrong. Because there are ways of delivery a font to a client,
so long as they have a visual way of displaying content (ah, gotta have
your accessibility caveat :))

How do I deliver a font to a lynx user? Or to a non-IE user with
images and plugins turned off because their on the end of a shitty
connection?
You'd be wrong then. Sometimes "font X" is EXACTLY what is required
because it's part of brand or image.

It can not be requiered if the brand is to work on the WWW because
some portionn of the WWW will not, can not, see the font.
You must find a way to achieve that without making your site unsable.

It can not be achaieved. Only some percentage.
A good designer will know that "fond
X" cannot be used for everything on the site, so wouldn't ask for it in
the first place.

Exactly my point. Good WWW designers know that a font will never be
seen by everyone and hence can not be relied upon.
However were it IS required, you should provide it.

It will be provided. I gave techniques to provoide it. I know that
none of those techniques reaches 100% of the audience (target or
otherwise) and that each of those techniques comes with other
disadvantages. You seem deluded into thinking that you can reach all
your audience but you haven't told us how you would do so.
It is terribly short sighted to suggest WWW cannot be aristic, which
seems to be the jist of your comment.

Of course the WWW can be artistic. Web sites can exist as works of art
in their own right, in which case the normal rules of design don't
need to apply (some art works by ignoring the normal limits of a
medium, some art benefits by working within the medium). Art can also
be incorporated into more normal web sites and there part of the
designers job is to incorporate the art into the medium.
To me, it seems that you dont have
a clue about interacting with people on an emotional level.

Oddly enough, I did a test on the BBC web site today which said quite
the opposite.
Art/Design are one and the same thing.

No they're not. They draw on some of the same skills and they can
inform each other but ultimately they have very different goals.
Confusing the two leads to poor design and poor art.
HOW design is more important that the content.
Never.

If you get the design wrong, you may as well have the
no content.

That is true. But good design can never make up for lack of content.
Content is always more important.

Steve

Zrinko

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:35:53 +0100, Zrinko wrote:

<cut>

ok, thanks to you all.
even though I agree with SpaceGirl, I also agree with Steve. I will be the
first who will leave the website if it takes a lot to download. I just
wanted to know if there is a way of avoiding doing images to publish a
certain font. cause certain font has it's feeling and mood which for the
thing I'm doing is mandatory. it is nothing cheesy or big or
pluck-you-in-the-eye thing, it's just a small, cute little font which is
very special and fits the whole website perfectly.

Steve Pugh

Steve Pugh said:
Let's say someone wanted to put text from Mein Kampf (is that a
Godwin? I think it's a fair example here) online displayed in a comedy
font.

Upon reflection I can think of better, less offensive, examples so it
probably should be a Godwin. Time to kill this thread.

Steve

Steve Pugh

Zrinko said:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:35:53 +0100, Zrinko wrote:

<cut>

ok, thanks to you all.
even though I agree with SpaceGirl, I also agree with Steve.

I wouldn't expect anything else. We're only disagreeing over very
minor details and philosophical semantics.
I will be the
first who will leave the website if it takes a lot to download. I just
wanted to know if there is a way of avoiding doing images to publish a
certain font. cause certain font has it's feeling and mood which for the
thing I'm doing is mandatory. it is nothing cheesy or big or
pluck-you-in-the-eye thing, it's just a small, cute little font which is
very special and fits the whole website perfectly.

You have two main options:

1. Headings in the chosen font, body copy in a standard font. This is
the option used by most web sites (that care about fonts at all).
Create the headings as graphics and leave the body copy as a generic
serif or sans-serif. If you're creating a lot of headings on an
ongoing basis (e.g. if you're adding articles daily and needing to
make a graphic for each) then there are variations you can try
(generating the graphics dynamically on the server; using Flash and
DOM scripting to dynamically create headers on the server).

2. Everything in the chosen font. If avoiding big downloads is your
goal then the best option here is WEFT. But this will only reach a
portion of IE users. So it will have a bigger impact than the headings
only approach but on a smaller audience.

Steve