Force FONT

Blinky the Shark

Upon reflection I can think of better, less offensive, examples so it
probably should be a Godwin. Time to kill this thread.

Heck, I was about to say that that might work for the lyrics to Mel
Brooks' "Springtime For Hitler", from "The Producers". :)

Els

Blinky said:
I think that's twice now. One more and you owe me a
vodka tonic. ;)

Vodka okay - but you can forget about the tonic!
(I'd wanna drink one with you, and I hate tonic ;-) )

SpaceGirl

Toby said:
SpaceGirl wrote:

And the inverse would be better?

Design is applicable to everything. GOOD design can make even the most
terrible content work.

Els

Blinky said:
Don't see why not. Given what I know about the
Netherlands, I doubt that it's a controlled substance. :)

Don't know what's worse, a controlled substance or an
uncontrolled substance <g>

dorayme

Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:08:55 +0000
Subject: Re: Force FONT

Again?

The poster you are replying to sees the www as being something used by many
people, many of whom would appreciate the type of communication being
discussed and if many of these can get "the message" then it looks absurd to
say that it is the wrong medium. What do you want folk to do, hire full page
ads in newspapers, send hard copy to people all over the world because not
all the folks on the www will "get" the particular message? No need to
explain further what you "meant".
Then the message can not be communicated on the WWW. It can be
communicated on some subset of the WWW and the techniques I outlined
can be used to reach various of those subsets.

Yes, yes, you make it clear enough what the story is given one reads all
your qualifications... but it is simply provocative - in Australia, we have
an expression: "being a smart arse" - to say "Then the message can not be
communicated on the WWW." Because it is simply not true on any ordinary
reading of these words. If a whole bunch of people all over the world can
get the message then that may be good enough for the messenger. Maybe it is
not good enough for you. But that is quite a different thing.
Then use an image. But don't expect everyone to be able to see it.
Presumably the alt attribute will be empty as users who can't see the
image can't get the content here at all?

Presumably to you. If there were really no content beyond "the look", the
alt tag would still be able to convey something about it just as alt tags
often do for pictures without being any real kind of substitution for them.
Perhaps you were being light-hearted and such analysis is somewhat
humourless. But please forgive me as I am testing a theory that you are a
robot put out by W3C, with counter-suggestive programming, sarcasm, some
humour and so on, all built in along with an understandably good grasp of
technical matters.

snip

dorayme

dorayme

Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:13:46 +0000

And the inverse would be better?

The poster is clearly not implying that the inverse would be better. I
understand what she is saying and it does not rely on such an extreme. The
point is that we can get too wrapped up in some of the very difficult and
ideal criteria understandably taught in the good forums. The truth is that
few of us are so masterful that we can avoid erring either way. Remember how
this began? Over a *bit* of text. So, if it is important to have it look
some way and it looks nice, this is no big crime. And if it is tricky to do
this and be a good student of the best in html and css then so be it. I vote
for a little human badness...

dorayme

dorayme

Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:53:05 +0000

I said that not all of them will get the font. You have yet to show
otherwise.

She is not trying to show otherwise, nor would it suit her purposes to do
so...

snip

Let's say someone wanted to put text from Mein Kampf (is that a
Godwin? I think it's a fair example here) online displayed in a comedy
font. Users who see it in the ordinary font will get a very different
impression than those who see it in the comedy font.
This is the sort of thing that I'm talking about when I say that if a
font is essential for a message (i.e. to elicit a certain emotional
response) then the message is not suitable for the WWW. Not some
marketing blurb displayed in the corporate typeface - in that case the
typeface and copywriting will hopefully complement each other so that
if the typeface isn't see then message still has the same tone.

I have never seen any convincing statistics that give a string
correlation between demographics and/or interest groups and the
technology they use or the disabilities they may have. If you have
maybe you could the post the URL here.

Maybe there are no such statistics, it does not follow that you must never
design for a particular audience or that you can't be pretty sure there will
be enough folk who do get what is offered to make it worthwhile. In fact,
maybe you are the one who should produce statistics to show the true cost of
designing for a particular audience (and thereby frustrating the x number of
folk who have images turned off, javascript turned off and so on). You
cannot argue like this in abstract and get away with it. Some web designers
make sites for restricted groups, sometimes that is their brief. And it goes
on the web because that is a convenient highway. (An analogy may help: The
numbers on the top of cop cars are for police helicopters to track, maybe
even satellites, but the cars use the regular roads... in this case they do
not frustrate other road users but even if they did, it may still be worth
it). If you do not follow this reasoning, do not suppose I am "on" something
as you have done before (when a joke of mine was - admittedly - a little
unclear), concentrate on recovering from your own lobotomy... :)

snip

I am way behind and I comment as I read. This is probably a bad idea. But
remember this, Mr Perfect, I am human and still have lobes...

dorayme

dorayme

Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:31:42 +0100

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:35:53 +0100, Zrinko wrote:

<cut>

ok, thanks to you all.
even though I agree with SpaceGirl, I also agree with Steve. I will be the
first who will leave the website if it takes a lot to download. I just
wanted to know if there is a way of avoiding doing images to publish a
certain font. cause certain font has it's feeling and mood which for the
thing I'm doing is mandatory. it is nothing cheesy or big or
pluck-you-in-the-eye thing, it's just a small, cute little font which is
very special and fits the whole website perfectly.

You the original poster? Surely you should keep out of this. You have
started a war and you should now lie low!

Only kidding...

:)

dorayme