force gtk modal window to keep focus

Discussion in 'Python' started by brian, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. brian

    brian Guest

    Hi,

    I am beginner using Python 1.52, GTK 1.2.10, and Glade .0.6.2 to
    develop a gui which will kick off various scripts. After checking
    some configurations I would like to pop up a window warning the user
    of any problems and force them to respond to this window before
    returning to the main window. I use a modal dialog window and set the
    main window to be insensitive. This works fine but the way my window
    manager(MWM) is setup(in the .mwmrc) is to raise a window when clicked
    on. So if the dialog is up and the user clicks on the main window the
    dialog becomes hidden and nothing can happen. I can change this raise
    property on my machine but I don't know how a user's window manager
    will be setup. Is this a common problem? Does anyone have a nice
    solution? All I can think of is to try and disable events/signals for
    the mainwindow or add callbacks for when the focus is lost in the
    dialog window. I know my versions are out of date but it's what I
    have to work with.

    thank you.

    brian, Sep 2, 2003

  2. brian

    Gerrit Holl Guest

    brian wrote:
    > I am beginner using Python 1.52, GTK 1.2.10, and Glade .0.6.2 to
    > develop a gui which will kick off various scripts.

    Python 1.5.2 is very old, over 4 years. You are strongly
    encouraged to upgrade to a newer Python: make a large leap,
    and upgrade to Python 2.3!

    Sorry for not answering your question ;)

    Gerrit.

    --
    116. If the prisoner die in prison from blows or maltreatment, the
    master of the prisoner shall convict the merchant before the judge. If he

    Gerrit Holl, Sep 2, 2003