Force JavaScript on User's Computer

Karl Burrows

How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so that
my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

Thanks!

Noozer

Karl Burrows said:
How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so that
my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

You can't and you shouldn't.

Karl Burrows

Do you have a suggestion I can implement to allow a internal login to a
member site?

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Karl Burrows ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...

(Top posting fixed. See http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post for more
info)
Do you have a suggestion I can implement to allow a internal login to
a member site?

Javascript is *not* going to give any kind of real security. You should look
into server-side approaches, such as PHP and / or password-protected web
directories. Google is your friend.

Cheers,
Nige

Karl Burrows

Sure, I know it doesn't provide real security and we don't need it. There
is nothing top secret in the member section, it is just a deterrent for
most. I am trying to get them to use the Web hosts login security which
would fix all that, but they are a non-profit and every dollar counts!

Jukka K. Korpela

Karl Burrows said:
Sure, I know it doesn't provide real security and we don't need it.

Please keep quoting upside-down if you don't want to hear the truth, or
if you are just trolling. Thank you in advance. Oh, and please keep using
an address that is forged, or looks like forged, until you get a clue.

Karl Groves

<snip>

Numerous people have warned you about top-posting and have politely provided
you with informative links as to why top-posting is a bad idea.

If you want to ensure that you find yourself in numerous killfiles and have
all your future questions ignored, keep top-posting.

-Karl

David Dorward

Karl said:
How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so
that my member site is secure

Given the high proportion of security holes relating to scripting engines in
web browsers, having users enable JavaScript in their browsers would reduce
the security of the site, not the other way around.

Jim Higson

Karl said:
Sure, I know it doesn't provide real security and we don't need it. There
is nothing top secret in the member section, it is just a deterrent for
most. I am trying to get them to use the Web hosts login security which
would fix all that, but they are a non-profit and every dollar counts!

Most servers allow you to do this with just a couple of lines in a config
file. Well, Apache does anyway, given every dollar counts I'll assume you
aren't using IIS!

This is dead easy to find on google. Try:

http://www.google.com/search?q=apache password&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

WebcastMaker

kfb1 said:
How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so that
my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

Just say from the onset "if you want to use this website you will have
to have javascript turned on. Then you can guarantee that every single
person that _uses_ your site will have javascript turned on. Of course
there will be a small percentage of people that will not turn it on even
if they want your service. You will lose these people

But the real question is do you think that it is a good idea to have a
security system the person you are trying to secure it from, can turn
off?

Use something else.

Karl Burrows

Huh???

Jukka K. Korpela said:
Please keep quoting upside-down if you don't want to hear the truth, or
if you are just trolling. Thank you in advance. Oh, and please keep using
an address that is forged, or looks like forged, until you get a clue.

Neal

How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so
that
my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

Thanks!

You can't.

Javascript is optional. The user has the option to turn it off, always.
There's nothing you can do as author to change that.

You want security, use something else. Hint: Aside from the HTML code
itself, you can count on server-side scripts, and that's it. Not images,
not CSS, not client-side scripting, not nothing.

WebcastMaker

kfb1 said:

Karl, do you see how everyone else puts the quoted text at the top, then
the reply at the bottom? That is called bottom posting. It is the
excepted way of replying in this forum.

Now do you notice how you put the reply at the top and the quote at the
bottom? That is called top posting, it is unacceptable to the regulars
here.

It is common courtesy to follow the etiquette of the forum. You have
been asked to do so, and supplied with links explaining how you should
post in the forum. If you continue to top post, the regulars will kill
file you. And the regulars are the ones that answer your questions.

Karl Burrows

--
WebcastMaker
Webcasting for free

Sorry! It's just backwards from the other newsgroups I participate in, so
it may take a bit of getting used to!

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Karl Burrows ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
[posting conventions]
Sorry! It's just backwards from the other newsgroups I participate
in, so it may take a bit of getting used to!

That's ok. Next lesson is... snipping! ;-)

Cheers,
Nige