    How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so that
    my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

    Thanks!
    Karl Burrows, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Karl Burrows

    Noozer Guest

    "Karl Burrows" <> wrote in message
    news:a6C4d.93834$...
    > How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so

    that
    > my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

    You can't and you shouldn't.
    Noozer, Sep 23, 2004

  3. Karl Burrows

    Karl Burrows Guest

    Do you have a suggestion I can implement to allow a internal login to a
    member site?

    Karl Burrows, Sep 23, 2004
  4. While the city slept, Karl Burrows () feverishly
    typed...

    (Top posting fixed. See http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post for more
    info)

    > "Noozer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Karl Burrows" <> wrote in message
    >>> How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled
    >>> so that my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

    >> You can't and you shouldn't.

    > Do you have a suggestion I can implement to allow a internal login to
    > a member site?

    Javascript is *not* going to give any kind of real security. You should look
    into server-side approaches, such as PHP and / or password-protected web
    directories. Google is your friend.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    nice.guy.nige, Sep 23, 2004
  5. Karl Burrows

    Karl Burrows Guest

    Sure, I know it doesn't provide real security and we don't need it. There
    is nothing top secret in the member section, it is just a deterrent for
    most. I am trying to get them to use the Web hosts login security which
    would fix all that, but they are a non-profit and every dollar counts!

    Karl Burrows, Sep 23, 2004
  6. "Karl Burrows" <> wrote:

    > Sure, I know it doesn't provide real security and we don't need it.

    Please keep quoting upside-down if you don't want to hear the truth, or
    if you are just trolling. Thank you in advance. Oh, and please keep using
    an address that is forged, or looks like forged, until you get a clue.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 23, 2004
  7. Karl Burrows

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Karl Burrows" <> wrote in message
    <snip>

    Numerous people have warned you about top-posting and have politely provided
    you with informative links as to why top-posting is a bad idea.

    If you want to ensure that you find yourself in numerous killfiles and have
    all your future questions ignored, keep top-posting.

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Sep 23, 2004
  8. Karl Burrows wrote:

    > How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so
    > that my member site is secure

    Given the high proportion of security holes relating to scripting engines in
    web browsers, having users enable JavaScript in their browsers would reduce
    the security of the site, not the other way around.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Sep 23, 2004
  9. Karl Burrows

    Jim Higson Guest

    Karl Burrows wrote:

    > Sure, I know it doesn't provide real security and we don't need it. There
    > is nothing top secret in the member section, it is just a deterrent for
    > most. I am trying to get them to use the Web hosts login security which
    > would fix all that, but they are a non-profit and every dollar counts!

    Most servers allow you to do this with just a couple of lines in a config
    file. Well, Apache does anyway, given every dollar counts I'll assume you
    aren't using IIS!

    This is dead easy to find on google. Try:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=apache password&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Jim Higson, Sep 23, 2004
  10. Karl Burrows

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <a6C4d.93834$>, kfb1
    @bellspamsouth.net says...
    > How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so that
    > my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?

    Just say from the onset "if you want to use this website you will have
    to have javascript turned on. Then you can guarantee that every single
    person that _uses_ your site will have javascript turned on. Of course
    there will be a small percentage of people that will not turn it on even
    if they want your service. You will lose these people

    But the real question is do you think that it is a good idea to have a
    security system the person you are trying to secure it from, can turn
    off?

    Use something else.

    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free
    WebcastMaker, Sep 23, 2004
  11. Karl Burrows

    Karl Burrows Guest

    Huh???

    Karl Burrows, Sep 24, 2004
  12. Karl Burrows

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:39:41 -0400, Karl Burrows <>
    wrote:

    > How can I set it so JavaScript on a user's computer must be enabled so
    > that
    > my member site is secure (relatively speaking anyway)?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You can't.

    Javascript is optional. The user has the option to turn it off, always.
    There's nothing you can do as author to change that.

    You want security, use something else. Hint: Aside from the HTML code
    itself, you can count on server-side scripts, and that's it. Not images,
    not CSS, not client-side scripting, not nothing.
    Neal, Sep 24, 2004
  13. Karl Burrows

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <gRN4d.60556$>, kfb1
    @bellspamsouth.net says...
    > Huh???
    > > > Sure, I know it doesn't provide real security and we don't need it.

    > > Please keep quoting upside-down...

    Karl, do you see how everyone else puts the quoted text at the top, then
    the reply at the bottom? That is called bottom posting. It is the
    excepted way of replying in this forum.

    Now do you notice how you put the reply at the top and the quote at the
    bottom? That is called top posting, it is unacceptable to the regulars
    here.

    It is common courtesy to follow the etiquette of the forum. You have
    been asked to do so, and supplied with links explaining how you should
    post in the forum. If you continue to top post, the regulars will kill
    file you. And the regulars are the ones that answer your questions.
    WebcastMaker, Sep 24, 2004
  14. Karl Burrows

    Karl Burrows Guest

    "WebcastMaker" <> wrote in message
    > In article <gRN4d.60556$>, kfb1
    > @bellspamsouth.net says...
    > > Huh???
    > > >
    > > > Please keep quoting upside-down...

    > Karl, do you see how everyone else puts the quoted text at the top, then
    > the reply at the bottom? That is called bottom posting. It is the
    > excepted way of replying in this forum.
    >
    > Now do you notice how you put the reply at the top and the quote at the
    > bottom? That is called top posting, it is unacceptable to the regulars
    > here.
    >
    > It is common courtesy to follow the etiquette of the forum. You have
    > been asked to do so, and supplied with links explaining how you should
    > post in the forum. If you continue to top post, the regulars will kill
    > file you. And the regulars are the ones that answer your questions.
    > --
    > WebcastMaker
    > Webcasting for free
    > http://www.webentations.com
    > http://www.webcastmaker.com (CBT)

    Sorry! It's just backwards from the other newsgroups I participate in, so
    it may take a bit of getting used to!
    Karl Burrows, Sep 24, 2004
  15. While the city slept, Karl Burrows () feverishly
    typed...
    [posting conventions]

    > Sorry! It's just backwards from the other newsgroups I participate
    > in, so it may take a bit of getting used to!

    That's ok. Next lesson is... snipping! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss