Force reload upon change in dataset

menno.abbink

Hi All,

I'm asked to come up with a sollution for the following:

We are developing an application that will be displayed on a videowall
( at least 4000 x 2000 pixels) that will be used to monitor the actual
state of several objects. We are thinking of using Scalable Vector
Graphics to display the objects and the relations between them. The
application needs to change the color of the objects whenever an event
occurs (e.g. network link lost).

The messages with the eventdata will be posted in an XML format on a
central server in our domain, from here on I have two possibilities to
work the data:

1. I can setup an orchestration in BizTalk2006, that will extract the
needed information and stores it in a database on a SQL2005 server
2. I can write an application that does the same, and set it up to
monitor and transform the incomming XML files.

I read that I could use SQLDependency to monitor if data has been
changed on a certain dataset within SQL2005, a reload of the page would
return a new dataset. Is there a way that we can use this to dynamicly
inform any users of the application that this event occurs without
generating a reload every 1 second (load on the network)?

We are in a conceptual architecture fase for the application, so i
don't have any standards yet that I need to use.

I hope that my question is clear enough, if not please don't hessitate
to ask.

Thanks for thinking.