    _________________________
    Stefan Tappertzhofen

    www.fdos.de
    Stefan Tappertzhofen, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Stefan Tappertzhofen

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Stefan Tappertzhofen wrote:

    > is there any way to "force" the printer to print background colours of
    > Cells?

    Nope. As you say yourself, you cannot force anything upon the visitor and
    as this is a browser setting you have absolutely no control over it.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Stefan Tappertzhofen

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Stefan Tappertzhofen" <> wrote:

    >is there any way to "force" the printer to print background colours of
    >Cells?

    No. The user's browser configuration will win out over anything you
    stick in the HTML or CSS.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Stefan Tappertzhofen

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <cbu3ai$sdb$06$-online.com>, tappertzhofen@t-
    online.de says...
    > is there any way to "force" the printer to print background colours of
    > Cells? I know you can't actually force a printer to do that but there might
    > be a way with CSS. Or am I wrong?

    You could ask for the address of each of your visitors and fly to
    their home (or office) and hold a gun to their head as they print,
    making sure they include the backgrounds. But this solution may be a
    little cost prohibitive....
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jun 30, 2004
  5. "Whitecrest" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    (...)

    Well the idea behind it is to mark Error Values in an XML/XSL File.

    --
    _________________________
    Stefan Tappertzhofen

    www.fdos.de
    Stefan Tappertzhofen, Jun 30, 2004
  6. Whitecrest typed:
    > In article <cbu3ai$sdb$06$-online.com>, tappertzhofen@t-
    > online.de says...
    >> is there any way to "force" the printer to print background colours
    >> of Cells? I know you can't actually force a printer to do that but
    >> there might be a way with CSS. Or am I wrong?

    > You could ask for the address of each of your visitors and fly to
    > their home (or office) and hold a gun to their head as they print,
    > making sure they include the backgrounds. But this solution may be a
    > little cost prohibitive....

    Is is very expensive to do, but it does work.
    Disco Octopus, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Stefan Tappertzhofen

    Kris Guest

    In article <cbu3ai$sdb$06$-online.com>,
    "Stefan Tappertzhofen" <> wrote:

    > is there any way to "force" the printer to print background colours of
    > Cells? I know you can't actually force a printer to do that but there might
    > be a way with CSS. Or am I wrong?

    You cannot force. Make the print look good when backgrounds are enabled.
    Make the print also look good when disabled. Don't think 'pretty', think
    'usable'. People print these things for later use or to give to a
    friend, not to hang them onto their bedroom wall.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Jun 30, 2004
  8. Stefan Tappertzhofen wrote:

    > is there any way to "force" the printer to print background colours of
    > Cells?

    In Opera, File > Print > Options > Print page background.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jun 30, 2004
  9. "Kris" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > You cannot force. Make the print look good when backgrounds are enabled.
    > Make the print also look good when disabled. Don't think 'pretty', think
    > 'usable'. People print these things for later use or to give to a
    > friend, not to hang them onto their bedroom wall.

    It's not a question of layout or good looking. I have to mark cells
    containing warnings and errors.

    --
    _________________________
    Stefan Tappertzhofen

    www.fdos.de
    Stefan Tappertzhofen, Jun 30, 2004
  10. Stefan Tappertzhofen wrote:

    > It's not a question of layout or good looking. I have to mark cells
    > containing warnings and errors.

    Mark warnings and errors with a small icon instead of (or as well as!) a
    background colour.

    e.g. A Yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark (!) for a warning. A
    red square with a white X for an error.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jun 30, 2004
  11. Stefan Tappertzhofen

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:24:28 +0200, Stefan Tappertzhofen
    <> wrote:

    > "Kris" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >
    >> You cannot force. Make the print look good when backgrounds are enabled.
    >> Make the print also look good when disabled. Don't think 'pretty', think
    >> 'usable'. People print these things for later use or to give to a
    >> friend, not to hang them onto their bedroom wall.

    > It's not a question of layout or good looking. I have to mark cells
    > containing warnings and errors.

    If it's truly integral to the content, CSS is not the answer, especially
    backgrounds. Find a way to communicate it w/o backgrounds or colors or
    fonts.

    If someone views your site in a text browser, they should get ALL the
    important content.
    Neal, Jun 30, 2004
  12. Stefan Tappertzhofen

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Stefan Tappertzhofen wrote:

    > It's not a question of layout or good looking. I have to mark cells
    > containing warnings and errors.

    Perhaps a better solution to your problem is to colour the actual text of
    the warning instead of the background?

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Jun 30, 2004
  13. Stefan Tappertzhofen

    Neal Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:24:34 +0100, Dylan Parry <>
    wrote:

    > Stefan Tappertzhofen wrote:
    >
    >> It's not a question of layout or good looking. I have to mark cells
    >> containing warnings and errors.

    > Perhaps a better solution to your problem is to colour the actual text of
    > the warning instead of the background?

    But even that is not foolproof. Colors are not required in HTML rendering.
    In fact, none of CSS is.

    Far better to find a way to present the content to give this information
    without resorting to an optional adjunct.
    Neal, Jun 30, 2004
  14. Stefan Tappertzhofen

    Kris Guest

    In article <cbv0gq$gi4$07$-online.com>,
    "Stefan Tappertzhofen" <> wrote:

    > > You cannot force. Make the print look good when backgrounds are enabled.
    > > Make the print also look good when disabled. Don't think 'pretty', think
    > > 'usable'. People print these things for later use or to give to a
    > > friend, not to hang them onto their bedroom wall.

    > It's not a question of layout or good looking. I have to mark cells
    > containing warnings and errors.

    What is keeping you from doing so? CSS is optional. Don't use it for
    critical functionality, use it to enhance functionality already in place.

    <strong>Warning!</strong>

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)