Force to print backgrounds

Stefan Tappertzhofen

Hello,

is there any way to "force" the printer to print background colours of
Cells? I know you can't actually force a printer to do that but there might
be a way with CSS. Or am I wrong?

Thank you for your help!

Dylan Parry

Stefan said:
is there any way to "force" the printer to print background colours of
Cells?

Nope. As you say yourself, you cannot force anything upon the visitor and
as this is a browser setting you have absolutely no control over it.

Steve Pugh

Stefan Tappertzhofen said:
is there any way to "force" the printer to print background colours of
Cells?

No. The user's browser configuration will win out over anything you
stick in the HTML or CSS.

Steve

Whitecrest

tappertzhofen@t- said:
is there any way to "force" the printer to print background colours of
Cells? I know you can't actually force a printer to do that but there might
be a way with CSS. Or am I wrong?

You could ask for the address of each of your visitors and fly to
their home (or office) and hold a gun to their head as they print,
making sure they include the backgrounds. But this solution may be a
little cost prohibitive....

Stefan Tappertzhofen

(...)

Well the idea behind it is to mark Error Values in an XML/XSL File.

Disco Octopus

Whitecrest typed:
You could ask for the address of each of your visitors and fly to
their home (or office) and hold a gun to their head as they print,
making sure they include the backgrounds. But this solution may be a
little cost prohibitive....

Is is very expensive to do, but it does work.

Kris

Stefan Tappertzhofen said:
is there any way to "force" the printer to print background colours of
Cells? I know you can't actually force a printer to do that but there might
be a way with CSS. Or am I wrong?

You cannot force. Make the print look good when backgrounds are enabled.
Make the print also look good when disabled. Don't think 'pretty', think
'usable'. People print these things for later use or to give to a
friend, not to hang them onto their bedroom wall.

Toby A Inkster

Stefan said:
is there any way to "force" the printer to print background colours of
Cells?

In Opera, File > Print > Options > Print page background.

Stefan Tappertzhofen

Kris said:
You cannot force. Make the print look good when backgrounds are enabled.
Make the print also look good when disabled. Don't think 'pretty', think
'usable'. People print these things for later use or to give to a
friend, not to hang them onto their bedroom wall.

It's not a question of layout or good looking. I have to mark cells
containing warnings and errors.

Toby A Inkster

Stefan said:
It's not a question of layout or good looking. I have to mark cells
containing warnings and errors.

Mark warnings and errors with a small icon instead of (or as well as!) a
background colour.

e.g. A Yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark (!) for a warning. A
red square with a white X for an error.

Neal

It's not a question of layout or good looking. I have to mark cells
containing warnings and errors.

If it's truly integral to the content, CSS is not the answer, especially
backgrounds. Find a way to communicate it w/o backgrounds or colors or
fonts.

If someone views your site in a text browser, they should get ALL the
important content.

Dylan Parry

Stefan said:
It's not a question of layout or good looking. I have to mark cells
containing warnings and errors.

Perhaps a better solution to your problem is to colour the actual text of
the warning instead of the background?

Neal

Perhaps a better solution to your problem is to colour the actual text of
the warning instead of the background?

But even that is not foolproof. Colors are not required in HTML rendering.
In fact, none of CSS is.

Far better to find a way to present the content to give this information
without resorting to an optional adjunct.

Kris

You cannot force. Make the print look good when backgrounds are enabled.
Make the print also look good when disabled. Don't think 'pretty', think
'usable'. People print these things for later use or to give to a
friend, not to hang them onto their bedroom wall.

It's not a question of layout or good looking. I have to mark cells
containing warnings and errors.[/QUOTE]

What is keeping you from doing so? CSS is optional. Don't use it for
critical functionality, use it to enhance functionality already in place.

<strong>Warning!</strong>