Forcing IE to refresh?

Donald F. McLean

I'm writing a script that proactively validates data input.

Under IE, throwing up an alert seems to interfere with the behavior of
radio buttons. In other words, if changing the value of the radio button
field fires the validation, the radio button either isn't set or isn't
displayed correctly after the popup is dismissed.

If I stick the error messages in a non-editable textarea field, the
textarea field doesn't get refreshed.

I tried "focus" - didn't help.

Mozilla works perfectly of course.

Donald McLean
Space Telescope Science Institute

Jim Brandley

Donald F. McLean said:
I'm writing a script that proactively validates data input.

Under IE, throwing up an alert seems to interfere with the behavior of
radio buttons. In other words, if changing the value of the radio button
field fires the validation, the radio button either isn't set or isn't
displayed correctly after the popup is dismissed.

If I stick the error messages in a non-editable textarea field, the
textarea field doesn't get refreshed.

I tried "focus" - didn't help.

Mozilla works perfectly of course.

Donald McLean
Space Telescope Science Institute

I have also had trouble with refreshes. I suspect that the thread gets
busy and loses track of incomplete events. I have (so far) been able
to get around the problem by setting a timer to do what I really
wanted to do in-line. So far, 200-250 ms has been sufficient time to
let IE finish what it had going on the thread and actually perform the
function it was skipping when directly referenced in my scripts.