    is a multi language page?

    thanks for any tips or advice..

    GB
    Geebay, Dec 29, 2004

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 29, 2004

  3. "Geebay" <> wrote:

    > I'm working on a site that uses multiple languages, sometimes more
    > than one langauge per page.

    More than one language on one page should normally be avoided. Even
    people who know two or more of the languages probably want to read the
    page in _one_ language. Exceptions include links to the other language
    versions (since the link texts are best written in the language of the
    linked page) and foreign-language quotations in scientific documents
    where it is essential to quote the original text.

    > Normally for a French page, I would add the "fr" attrib to the HTML
    > tag

    That's fine, though mostly just a matter of principle. Few programs
    utilize such information.

    > and also implant in the meta http-equiv 'content-language' tag
    > as well.

    Why? I don't know of any software that makes any use of such tags, and
    they are unnecessary kludge.

    > When I am including more than one language on a page, say, French,
    > Spanish & Portugese, it there any way of including more than one
    > language attrib in a tag?

    No. An element may have one lang attribute only. But different elements
    may have, in their start tags, different lang attributes, of course.
    So you simply use the lang attribute on an element, and create an
    element for the purpose if needed - e.g. using the semantically empty
    grouping element <span> (for inline text) or <div> (for blocks).

    > or - how might I code for search engines
    > to tell them that this page is a multi language page?

    I haven't seen any evidence of any public search engine paying any
    attention to any explicit indications of document language. They prefer
    making their own guesswork. This is one reason for using mostly just
    one language inside a document, since the guesswork methods probably
    don't recognize language changes inside a document very well.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 29, 2004