Forgive me, I'm an idiot but can someone clear up something for me? ASP.Net Session Vars.

Bill Dodd

Is there really no way to have different asp.net applications share session
variables?
The problem I'm running into is that I have numerous asp.net (and asp)
applications that were written as standalone apps and are now one by one
being added to an umbrella project.

For instance OpenOrderReport is a asp project with numerous references to
third part controls, etc. It's existed a
http://where-ever/Openorderreport for months and is now being moved to
http://where-ever/MySalesApp/OpenOrderReport with other related
applications. It would be really really handy if all of the apps in the
MySalesApp folders could share session variables with one another for things
that aren't approprite in cookies or hidden fields.

I've been able to do it in the past but only by adding the sub apps as
directories to a master project and adding them as references to the master
projects. This seemed hokey, though - in that I had bin\ folders in the sub
projects and the main and just doesn't "feel" like a clean solution. So,
my question is - can I, through configuring session state mode to
StateServer, share sessions among these things without going through all of
the steps of blowing away the individual IIS metabase descriptions and
referencing the sub projects into, in this case a "MySalesApp" master
project?

Is there a cleaner way to add the 'baby projects" to momma?

Thanks
Bill

Bill Dodd

Hey no biggy on the idiot thing. When I started out in dotnet, I knew
things.. The more I do in dotnet, the less I know. =)

Thanks for the link. Have you tried that before? You know, I found that
link once before, followed the steps verbatim, i thought - and it didn't
work. I'll give it another try. Maybe it was too close to happy hour
last time.

Bill Dodd

S. Justin Gengo

Bill,

No, I haven't tried it. But it sure sounds good!

I hope it works for you this time.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

Bill Dodd

Asp.net, Dotnetnuke.com and ibuyspy.com have the answer again...

I ran across an MSDN article, very similar to the asp101 article in this
thread that discussed copying projects under a master projects and going
through the steps of referencing them in your master project so that you
could debug/step through them. I wasn't crazy about that solution in that
I had two seperate bin/ folders and thus the potential for multiple versions
of referenced controls, etc. (in fact, it happened - several times.)

The behavior was quite odd in that the dll's were needed in both places for
the app to work. Finally, I started thinking about the ibuyspy/dotnetnuke
method of adding modules. You copy the ascx/aspx files and their .vb
counterparts to a subdirectory of a master project. Don't copy any
project-definition style files like assemblyinfo or web.config, solution and
project files. On the master project, Go to project - Show All. Find
the folder you added, (it will be greyed out) right click on it and hit
inlude in project. Make sure the master project references everything the
"module" you just added, needs and when you compile, you have one bin folder
and one set of dependencies - and a project you can step through since it
treats the peripheral code as a module.
I guess I'm happier with this than the older way but I still wish we could
access sessions from other appdomains..

Oh, well.

Thanks for the help, I had forgotten about that article on asp101. It
helped a bunch.

Bill