forgot password not working

barry

Below are my setting in the web.config file for forgotten passwords. I
receive a completion that the password
has been sent but upon looking in outlook there is no email sent to me. I
have also tried 127.0.0.1 for the network host

<system.net>
<mailSettings>
<smtp deliveryMethod="Network" from="(e-mail address removed)">
<network host="localhost" port="25" defaultCredentials="true"/>
</smtp>
</mailSettings>
</system.net>

thanks

Juan T. Llibre

Posting the specific code which isn't working would help others to help you.
Also, is there any error returned ?

barry

Juan,
1. This is the PasswordRecovery control from the toolbox
2. I did not write any code.
3. What I am doing is testing it out to see if it works by send me a
email with a new password
4. There are no error messages - I put in my password - it then ask
me for my identity confirmation - it then tells me "Your password has been
sent to you"

I do know it is reading the web.config because if I put in say a bogus port
number or network host it gives me an error messages.

thanks

Juan T. Llibre

re:
3. What I am doing is testing it out to see if it works by send me a email with a new password

That's fine...but the web.config doesn't set the "to" address.
It only sets the "from" address.

What does your smtp log say ?

The SMTP Logfiles are usually at :
Drive:\%WINDIR%\system32\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1

Could you check to see what the smtp log says when you try to send the email ?

re:
I do know it is reading the web.config because if I put in say a bogus port number or network host
it gives me an error messages.

Is your port 25 open ?

Please visit this page to find out:
http://upseros.com/portscan.php

Wait a few seconds for the page to process...and don't worry about the page being in spanish.
Port 25 is listed about 5 positions from the top.

If there's a green dot on its row, it's open.
If there's a red dot, that's your problem.

barry

Juan, thanks for your reply it lead me to the answer.

I have sbc dsl which is with yahoo. I went into a folder they have for bulk
mail (that they filter for you) and found all the missing emails.
I then read the instructions for moving this bulk folder to outlook and that
did the trick.
In this case it was not necessary to open port 25 (which was closed). I
certainly can use this handy utility though.

thank for all your help