Forking server

SRam

How to create a threaded process in Perl. I need explanation for this
code from Advanced Perl Programming....

# Forking server
use IO::Socket;
$SIG{CHLD} = sub {wait ()};
$main_sock = new IO::Socket::INET (LocalHost => 'goldengate',
LocalPort => 1200,
Listen => 5,
Proto => 'tcp',
Reuse => 1,
);
die "Socket could not be created. Reason: $!\n" unless ($sock);
while ($new_sock = $main_sock->accept()) {
$pid = fork();
die "Cannot fork: $!" unless defined($pid);
if ($pid == 0) {
# Child process
while (defined ($buf = <$new_sock>)) {
# do something with $buf ....
print $new_sock "You said: $buf\n";
}
exit(0); # Child process exits when it is done.
} # else 'tis the parent process, which goes back to accept()
}
close ($main_sock);

dw

SRam said:
How to create a threaded process in Perl. I need explanation for this
code from Advanced Perl Programming....

First of all... you probably should take this over to comp.lang.perl.misc.
People complain that this group doesn't exist, you you may get better
answers over there....
# Forking server
use IO::Socket;
$SIG{CHLD} = sub {wait ()};
$main_sock = new IO::Socket::INET (LocalHost => 'goldengate',
LocalPort => 1200,
Listen => 5,
Proto => 'tcp',
Reuse => 1,
);
die "Socket could not be created. Reason: $!\n" unless ($sock);

I'm guessing that $sock should be $main_sock
while ($new_sock = $main_sock->accept()) {
$pid = fork();
die "Cannot fork: $!" unless defined($pid);
if ($pid == 0) {
# Child process
while (defined ($buf = <$new_sock>)) {
# do something with $buf ....
print $new_sock "You said: $buf\n";
}
exit(0); # Child process exits when it is done.
} # else 'tis the parent process, which goes back to accept()
}
close ($main_sock);

Advanced Perl Programming has a short description after the segment of code.
You didn't say what you don't understand: the code, the way a server works,
why the code always died? If you say what you don't understand... maybe you
can get a better answer.