    project I am just stuck on this one

    <form action="mailto:?&cc=&subject=Help
    Ticket" method="post" enctype="text/plain" >
    Yogi_Bear_79, May 16, 2005

  2. Yogi_Bear_79

    Oli Filth Guest

    Yogi_Bear_79 wrote:
    > I need to change the below format from hard coded e-mail addresses to
    > retrive them from an XML source doc.
    >
    > Can someone help with the syntax? I have used my XML elsewhere in this
    > project I am just stuck on this one
    >

    > <form action="mailto:?&cc=&subject=Help
    > Ticket" method="post" enctype="text/plain" >

    mailto in forms is a Bad Thing. Use a server-based solution instead.
    Google for "mailto form" for why.

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, May 16, 2005

  3. Yogi_Bear_79

    Yogi_Bear_79 Guest

    I'm building a stand alone (chm) file and this was the only way I could find
    to make this work..Being a stand alone, there is no server side. Now another
    idea would be a javascript or VBS. I made a simple form that I wish to send
    the results via e-mail.

    Being stand alone, I know every user will mave Outlook setup

    Yogi_Bear_79, May 16, 2005
  4. Yogi_Bear_79

    Gazza Guest

    Yogi_Bear_79 mumbled the following on 16/05/2005 19:11:
    > I'm building a stand alone (chm) file and this was the only way I could find
    > to make this work..Being a stand alone, there is no server side. Now another
    > idea would be a javascript or VBS. I made a simple form that I wish to send
    > the results via e-mail.
    >
    > Being stand alone, I know every user will mave Outlook setup

    Assuming you meant Outlook Express, you'd still be grossly wrong.

    And don't top-post.

    --
    Gazza
    Mobile Number Network Checker - http://mnnc.net/
    Gazza, May 17, 2005
  5. Yogi_Bear_79

    Yogi_Bear_79 Guest

    "Gazza" <> wrote in message

    > Yogi_Bear_79 mumbled the following on 16/05/2005 19:11:
    > > I'm building a stand alone (chm) file and this was the only way I could

    find
    > > to make this work..Being a stand alone, there is no server side. Now

    another
    > > idea would be a javascript or VBS. I made a simple form that I wish to

    send
    > > the results via e-mail.
    > >
    > > Being stand alone, I know every user will mave Outlook setup

    > Assuming you meant Outlook Express, you'd still be grossly wrong.
    >
    > And don't top-post.
    >
    > --
    > Gazza
    > Mobile Number Network Checker - http://mnnc.net/
    > Creative writing & Poems - http://garyjones.co.uk/
    > Leovanna Leonbergers - http://leovanna.co.uk/

    Would it be possible for anyone to give an answer in addition to their
    criticism? I don't mind being corrected about "top posting" or being told
    that MAILTO might not be the best idea. However I do not se the need to
    reply solely to tell me not to top post. Further, although MAILTO might not
    be acceptable in most cases, in this one I feel that it is.

    Why would you assume Outlook Express? Mailto: works with Outlook as well. I
    understand the caveats of using MAILTO: however since this is a stand alone
    ..chm help file, I really do not see any other alternatives at this point.
    This is not a web page on a server, therefore, no server side to support.

    The original question is still at hand, what syntax is used to use XML as a
    source in place of the hard coded e-mail addresses in a MAILTO statement

    Yogi_Bear_79, May 17, 2005
  6. Yogi_Bear_79

    Oli Filth Guest

    Yogi_Bear_79 wrote:
    > Why would you assume Outlook Express? Mailto: works with Outlook as well. I
    > understand the caveats of using MAILTO: however since this is a stand alone
    > .chm help file, I really do not see any other alternatives at this point.
    > This is not a web page on a server, therefore, no server side to support.

    You can still use a server to do this.

    e.g. in a page in your .chm file (assuming .chm format deals with forms,
    I don't know anything about it):

    <FORM action="http://example.com/your_script.php" method="POST">
    <INPUT type="hidden" name="address" value="">
    </FORM>

    Then your_script.php can sit on your server and deal with incoming form
    details, sending out e-mails as necessary.

    > The original question is still at hand, what syntax is used to use XML as a
    > source in place of the hard coded e-mail addresses in a MAILTO statement
    >
    > <form
    > action="mailto:?&cc=&subject=HelpTicket"
    > method="post" enctype="text/plain" >

    What do you mean by "using XML as a source"? What is this XML source?
    There is no HTML syntax to "retrieve" data from somewhere, that's not
    something that HTML does. You could probably do this with Javascript.

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, May 17, 2005
  7. Yogi_Bear_79

    Gazza Guest

    Yogi_Bear_79 mumbled the following on 17/05/2005 19:59:
    > "Gazza" <> wrote in message

    >>>Being stand alone, I know every user will mave Outlook setup

    >>Assuming you meant Outlook Express, you'd still be grossly wrong.

    > I don't mind being ... told
    > that MAILTO might not be the best idea. ... Further, although MAILTO might not
    > be acceptable in most cases, in this one I feel that it is.

    I never questioned your assumption that mailto is the way to proceed in
    this case, only your assumption that "every user will [h]ave Outlook
    setup". I, for one don't have it, and so have proved your assumption
    wrong from the outset.

    > Why would you assume Outlook Express? Mailto: works with Outlook as well.

    Of course it does, as do many other mail clients. OE is far more likely
    to be setup on a general Windows machine however, compared to Outlook.

    > understand the caveats of using MAILTO: however since this is a stand alone
    > .chm help file, I really do not see any other alternatives at this point.
    > This is not a web page on a server, therefore, no server side to support.

    I cannot help with your original question, but am I right in thinking
    this .chm will be used on your internal network only (for which the
    setup of machines could very well be consistent) ? Otherwise, and with
    respect, for someone creating .chm's with XML, the assumption regarding
    Outlook is somewhat of a "newbie" statement.

    Gazza, May 17, 2005
  8. Yogi_Bear_79

    Yogi_Bear_79 Guest

    > What do you mean by "using XML as a source"? What is this XML source?
    > There is no HTML syntax to "retrieve" data from somewhere, that's not
    > something that HTML does. You could probably do this with Javascript.
    > Oli

    Inside the <head> tag I reference my XML source

    <xml id="Main" src="../../xml/Main.xml"></xml>

    Here I call the Office tag I created in the XML source

    datafld="Office"></span>&nbsp;Computer Trouble Ticket</h2></td>

    I'd like to replace the e-mail addresses in the following line of HTML with
    references to the XML
    <form
    action="mailto:?&cc=&subject=Computer Help
    Ticket" method="post" enctype="text/plain" >

    My users are on stand alone systems on .com broadband connections in 1 man
    offices over several states. There is no server for them to use. A stand
    alone .chm help file is capable of supporting just about any Web Page
    feature. Do a search on your PC (if Windows) and you will find many examples
    of .chm files. My users will have my companys .chm file on their desktop,
    and one of the options is an HTML form that they use to submit trouble
    tickets. The feature works fine, however it has become neccesary to make it
    more generic. So we have have moved all direct references to our divison to
    an XML file, so that other System Admins only have to edit one file (the
    ..XML) to customize the CHM to their division. I understand fully that IF i
    was hosting a web page then I wouldn't want to use MAILTO, but please that
    is not the question. I am looking for help with an XML data island and the
    subsequent HTML syntax
    Yogi_Bear_79, May 17, 2005
  9. Yogi_Bear_79

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:23:55 -0400, "Yogi_Bear_79"
    <> wrote:

    >datafld="Office"></span>&nbsp;Computer Trouble Ticket</h2></td>

    Don't use DSO, it never worked.

    If you have to do XML, then use XSLT. Use it client-side if you don't
    care about compatibility, or server-side if you do.
    Andy Dingley, May 17, 2005
  10. Yogi_Bear_79

    Yogi_Bear_79 Guest

    "Gazza" <> wrote in message
    > Yogi_Bear_79 mumbled the following on 17/05/2005 19:59:

    > >>Assuming you meant Outlook Express, you'd still be grossly wrong.

    > > I don't mind being ... told
    > > that MAILTO might not be the best idea. ... Further, although MAILTO

    might not
    > > be acceptable in most cases, in this one I feel that it is.

    > I never questioned your assumption that mailto is the way to proceed in
    > this case, only your assumption that "every user will [h]ave Outlook
    > setup". I, for one don't have it, and so have proved your assumption
    > wrong from the outset.

    You are not my intended audience! This project is for employees of my
    company. It is a stand alone help file to answer their FAQ. This is not a
    web site.

    > > Why would you assume Outlook Express? Mailto: works with Outlook as

    well.

    > Of course it does, as do many other mail clients. OE is far more likely
    > to be setup on a general Windows machine however, compared to Outlook.

    Once again, you assumed. I personally built every one of these machines
    and maintain them, I am fully aware of their configurations.

    > > understand the caveats of using MAILTO: however since this is a stand

    alone
    > > .chm help file, I really do not see any other alternatives at this

    point.
    > > This is not a web page on a server, therefore, no server side to

    support.

    > I cannot help with your original question, but am I right in thinking
    > this .chm will be used on your internal network only (for which the
    > setup of machines could very well be consistent) ? Otherwise, and with
    > respect, for someone creating .chm's with XML, the assumption regarding
    > Outlook is somewhat of a "newbie" statement.

    Since you couldn't help with the original question, you really didn't have a
    need to provide any input. I stated clearly several times that these
    machines are STAND ALONE.

    I quote from your above statement "Otherwise, and with respect, for someone
    creating .chm's with XML, the assumption regarding Outlook is somewhat of a
    "newbie" statement." Your statement makes no sense. It appears that you are
    making two statements, the second about Outlook being configured. I have
    already addressed that the previous two times you mentioned it. The first
    part of your statement doesn't making any sense, as I belive you are
    unfamiler with .CHM files or .XML files.

    Yogi_Bear_79, May 17, 2005
  11. Yogi_Bear_79

    Oli Filth Guest

    Yogi_Bear_79 wrote:
    >>What do you mean by "using XML as a source"? What is this XML source?
    >>There is no HTML syntax to "retrieve" data from somewhere, that's not
    >>something that HTML does. You could probably do this with Javascript.

    > Inside the <head> tag I reference my XML source
    >
    > <xml id="Main" src="../../xml/Main.xml"></xml>
    >
    > Here I call the Office tag I created in the XML source

    > datafld="Office"></span>&nbsp;Computer Trouble Ticket</h2></td>

    Ah, you're talking about Microsoft's non-standards-compliant
    data-binding additions to HTML.

    In that case, I'm afraid I don't know the answer. This is not part of
    the official HTML spec. I'm guessing that most people in this newsgroup
    write HTML for the WWW and so need to support multiple browsers using
    standard compliant HTML, hence will not rely on (or have learnt about)
    proprietary things like Microsoft's data-binding, which will only work
    in IE.

    Although I guess that the non-compliance issue isn't an issue for you,
    because you'll be using .chm files which will be browsed via a Microsoft
    engine anyway.

    > My users are on stand alone systems on .com broadband connections in 1 man
    > offices over several states. There is no server for them to use.

    In my earlier suggestion, I didn't mean that *they* would need to have a
    server. I meant that *you* would be running the server which would
    receive the form details. But it sounds as if you fully understand the
    implications of mailto form links, so I'll say no more on this!!

    > I am looking for help with an XML data island and the
    > subsequent HTML syntax

    Please bear in mind that what you're asking about is *not* part of the
    W3C-compliant HTML syntax, so most people here wouldn't refer to it as
    "HTML syntax" at all.

    --
    Oli
    Oli Filth, May 17, 2005
  12. Yogi_Bear_79

    Yogi_Bear_79 Guest

    "Oli Filth" <> wrote in message
    > Yogi_Bear_79 wrote:
    > >>What do you mean by "using XML as a source"? What is this XML source?
    > >>There is no HTML syntax to "retrieve" data from somewhere, that's not
    > >>something that HTML does. You could probably do this with Javascript.

    > > Inside the <head> tag I reference my XML source
    > >
    > > <xml id="Main" src="../../xml/Main.xml"></xml>
    > >
    > > Here I call the Office tag I created in the XML source

    > > datafld="Office"></span>&nbsp;Computer Trouble Ticket</h2></td>

    > Ah, you're talking about Microsoft's non-standards-compliant
    > data-binding additions to HTML.
    >
    > In that case, I'm afraid I don't know the answer. This is not part of
    > the official HTML spec. I'm guessing that most people in this newsgroup
    > write HTML for the WWW and so need to support multiple browsers using
    > standard compliant HTML, hence will not rely on (or have learnt about)
    > proprietary things like Microsoft's data-binding, which will only work
    > in IE.
    >
    > Although I guess that the non-compliance issue isn't an issue for you,
    > because you'll be using .chm files which will be browsed via a Microsoft
    > engine anyway.
    >
    > > My users are on stand alone systems on .com broadband connections in 1

    man
    > > offices over several states. There is no server for them to use.

    > In my earlier suggestion, I didn't mean that *they* would need to have a
    > server. I meant that *you* would be running the server which would
    > receive the form details. But it sounds as if you fully understand the
    > implications of mailto form links, so I'll say no more on this!!
    >
    > > I am looking for help with an XML data island and the
    > > subsequent HTML syntax

    > Please bear in mind that what you're asking about is *not* part of the
    > W3C-compliant HTML syntax, so most people here wouldn't refer to it as
    > "HTML syntax" at all.
    >

    > --
    > Oli

    Oli,

    Thanks for you explanation. I had hoped someone would have had experience
    in this area, and thought that this would be a good newsgroup since part of
    the problem is HTML syntax, at least for me. But I do see you point, and
    thank you for your time. Another person sugested XLST instead, so I will
    look into that. Thanks again for your time
    Yogi_Bear_79, May 17, 2005
  13. Yogi_Bear_79

    Yogi_Bear_79 Guest

    > Ah, you're talking about Microsoft's non-standards-compliant
    > data-binding additions to HTML.

    Since XML was developed by the W3C, maybe it still falls under the pervue of
    this NG? Since I was attempting to use Microsofts DSO, that may have been
    where I went astray. Is there a better way to data bind to the XML, that
    would be considered compliant?
    Yogi_Bear_79, May 17, 2005