Form action question -- remost POST using XMLHTTP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Shannon, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I am trying to post some data to a form using the XMLHTTP object, and have run into a problem trying to find the proper
    location of the receiving page.

    The form points to a directory, like so:

    <form action="/servlet/Login" target="_top" method="POST" enctype="x-www-form-encoded" onSubmit='return goodform()'>

    but the XMLHTTP object requires a specific file reference.

    Does anyone have any ideas on how to find the specific file that receives the form submission?

    Btw, the site is http://www.imrmls.com

    Thanks in advance for any help or information you can provide.

    Sincerely,

    Shannon

    Shannon, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Shannon

    Atrax Guest

    Atrax, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Shannon

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Shannon wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am trying to post some data to a form using the XMLHTTP object, and
    > have run into a problem trying to find the proper location of the
    > receiving page.
    >
    > The form points to a directory, like so:
    >
    > <form action="/servlet/Login" target="_top" method="POST"

    Shouldn't that be "/servlet/Login.asp" ? This string should not work unless
    you have a default asp page in a folder called "Login", and even then, I'm
    not sure it would work ...

    > enctype="x-www-form-encoded" onSubmit='return goodform()'>
    >
    > but the XMLHTTP object requires a specific file reference.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas on how to find the specific file that
    > receives the form submission?

    Do you mean the file-based path to the receiving page? I've never had to
    supply that in my xmlhttprequest calls. A file does have to be specified.
    But a relative url can be used. You can download my dynamic listbox demo
    available at
    http://www.thrasherwebdesign.com/index.asp?pi=links&hp=links.asp&c=&a=clear
    to see an example.

    Or do you mean that you don't know the name of the file you are calling? To
    which I can only reply: why not? You wrote it didn't you? :)

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Maybe this?? Assuming "Login" is an ASP file. You didn't give it an
    extension in the code.

    <form action="http://www.imrmls.com/servlet/Login.asp">

    --

    Phillip Windell [CCNA, MVP, MCP]

    WAND-TV (ABC Affiliate)
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:53:32 -0400, "Bob Barrows" <> wrote:

    >Shannon wrote:
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I am trying to post some data to a form using the XMLHTTP object, and
    >> have run into a problem trying to find the proper location of the
    >> receiving page.
    >>
    >> The form points to a directory, like so:
    >>
    >> <form action="/servlet/Login" target="_top" method="POST"

    >Shouldn't that be "/servlet/Login.asp" ? This string should not work unless
    >you have a default asp page in a folder called "Login", and even then, I'm
    >not sure it would work ...
    >

    >> enctype="x-www-form-encoded" onSubmit='return goodform()'>
    >>
    >> but the XMLHTTP object requires a specific file reference.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any ideas on how to find the specific file that
    >> receives the form submission?
    >>

    >Do you mean the file-based path to the receiving page? I've never had to
    >supply that in my xmlhttprequest calls. A file does have to be specified.
    >But a relative url can be used. You can download my dynamic listbox demo
    >available at
    >http://www.thrasherwebdesign.com/index.asp?pi=links&hp=links.asp&c=&a=clear
    >to see an example.
    >
    >Or do you mean that you don't know the name of the file you are calling? To
    >which I can only reply: why not? You wrote it didn't you? :)
    >
    >HTH,
    >Bob Barrows

    Thanks, Bob

    No -- sorry. My post was written bleary-eyed and frustrated. I am trying to utilize the call from my server to
    automate information retrieval off-server (from an information source that we subscribe to). Thus, I do not have access
    to the file names or structures on the server I am calling, and must rely on inspection of the HTML source code
    displayed on the actual form to derive both the form element names and the submission handler.

    I have never seen a submission handler referenced by a relative folder path only (with no file name), and don't have any
    idea where to send the POST data.

    the form can be seen at http://www.imrmls.com

    -- it's the login screen form that comes up as the default page.

    Thanks for your help and info -- will check out the link you provided.

    Shannon

    Shannon, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    I know -- confusing. I didn't specify clearly enough that I did not write the form code. I am trying to POST data to
    it to automate information retrieval from a site to which I subscribe. The Form's Action propeorty is definately set to
    a relative folder reference -- something I have not seen in a form.

    FYI -- the form can be viewed at www.imrmls.com -- it's the login form that appears as a default.

    Odd, indeed. Thank you for your time and information,

    Shannon

    Shannon, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Shannon

    Mark Schupp Guest

    You would have to post to

    http://www.imrmls.com/servlet/Login

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development
    Integrity eLearning
    www.ielearning.com

    Mark Schupp, Sep 29, 2003
  8. Shannon

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Shannon wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:53:32 -0400, "Bob Barrows"
    >
    > No -- sorry. My post was written bleary-eyed and frustrated. I am
    > trying to utilize the call from my server to automate information
    > retrieval off-server (from an information source that we subscribe
    > to). Thus, I do not have access to the file names or structures on
    > the server I am calling, and must rely on inspection of the HTML
    > source code displayed on the actual form to derive both the form
    > element names and the submission handler.
    >
    > I have never seen a submission handler referenced by a relative
    > folder path only (with no file name),

    Neither have I.

    > and don't have any idea where
    > to send the POST data.
    >
    > the form can be seen at http://www.imrmls.com
    >
    > -- it's the login screen form that comes up as the default page.

    Can you ask someone at the site?

    > Thanks for your help and info -- will check out the link you provided.

    It probably won't help in this situation.

    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows, Sep 29, 2003