Form action question -- remost POST using XMLHTTP

Shannon

Hi everyone,

I am trying to post some data to a form using the XMLHTTP object, and have run into a problem trying to find the proper
location of the receiving page.

The form points to a directory, like so:

<form action="/servlet/Login" target="_top" method="POST" enctype="x-www-form-encoded" onSubmit='return goodform()'>

but the XMLHTTP object requires a specific file reference.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to find the specific file that receives the form submission?

Btw, the site is http://www.imrmls.com

Thanks in advance for any help or information you can provide.

Sincerely,

Shannon

Bob Barrows

Shannon said:
Hi everyone,

I am trying to post some data to a form using the XMLHTTP object, and
have run into a problem trying to find the proper location of the
receiving page.

The form points to a directory, like so:

<form action="/servlet/Login" target="_top" method="POST"

Shouldn't that be "/servlet/Login.asp" ? This string should not work unless
you have a default asp page in a folder called "Login", and even then, I'm
not sure it would work ...

enctype="x-www-form-encoded" onSubmit='return goodform()'>

but the XMLHTTP object requires a specific file reference.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to find the specific file that
receives the form submission?

Do you mean the file-based path to the receiving page? I've never had to
supply that in my xmlhttprequest calls. A file does have to be specified.
But a relative url can be used. You can download my dynamic listbox demo
available at
http://www.thrasherwebdesign.com/index.asp?pi=links&hp=links.asp&c=&a=clear
to see an example.

Or do you mean that you don't know the name of the file you are calling? To
which I can only reply: why not? You wrote it didn't you? :)

HTH,
Bob Barrows

Phillip Windell

Maybe this?? Assuming "Login" is an ASP file. You didn't give it an
extension in the code.

<form action="http://www.imrmls.com/servlet/Login.asp">

--

Phillip Windell [CCNA, MVP, MCP]
(e-mail address removed)

Shannon said:
[...]

Thanks, Bob

No -- sorry. My post was written bleary-eyed and frustrated. I am trying to utilize the call from my server to
automate information retrieval off-server (from an information source that we subscribe to). Thus, I do not have access
to the file names or structures on the server I am calling, and must rely on inspection of the HTML source code
displayed on the actual form to derive both the form element names and the submission handler.

I have never seen a submission handler referenced by a relative folder path only (with no file name), and don't have any
idea where to send the POST data.

the form can be seen at http://www.imrmls.com

-- it's the login screen form that comes up as the default page.

Thanks for your help and info -- will check out the link you provided.

Shannon

Shannon

I know -- confusing. I didn't specify clearly enough that I did not write the form code. I am trying to POST data to
it to automate information retrieval from a site to which I subscribe. The Form's Action propeorty is definately set to
a relative folder reference -- something I have not seen in a form.

FYI -- the form can be viewed at www.imrmls.com -- it's the login form that appears as a default.

Odd, indeed. Thank you for your time and information,

Shannon

Mark Schupp

You would have to post to

http://www.imrmls.com/servlet/Login

--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development
Integrity eLearning
www.ielearning.com

Shannon said:
I know -- confusing. I didn't specify clearly enough that I did not write
the form code. I am trying to POST data to
it to automate information retrieval from a site to which I subscribe.
The Form's Action propeorty is definately set to
a relative folder reference -- something I have not seen in a form.

FYI -- the form can be viewed at www.imrmls.com -- it's the login form that appears as a default.

Odd, indeed. Thank you for your time and information,

Shannon

Bob Barrows

Shannon said:
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:53:32 -0400, "Bob Barrows"

No -- sorry. My post was written bleary-eyed and frustrated. I am
trying to utilize the call from my server to automate information
retrieval off-server (from an information source that we subscribe
to). Thus, I do not have access to the file names or structures on
the server I am calling, and must rely on inspection of the HTML
source code displayed on the actual form to derive both the form
element names and the submission handler.

I have never seen a submission handler referenced by a relative
folder path only (with no file name),

Neither have I.
and don't have any idea where
to send the POST data.

the form can be seen at http://www.imrmls.com

-- it's the login screen form that comes up as the default page.

Can you ask someone at the site?
Thanks for your help and info -- will check out the link you provided.

It probably won't help in this situation.

Bob Barrows