Form authentication, what about normal login?

Henry

Hello,
Let's assume we have setup from-based authentication in a website.
And the front page of this website is a login page with some welcome
message.
A user types in URL and request this front page.
But the IIS cannot find AUTH cookie for this user, so it redirect the
user to the login page, which we setup as the same login page as we
mentioned earlier.
Then after user login, and then he will be redirect back to the
original page he requested, which is the same login page again.
Isn't that funny?

OK, you might say we can somehow (how?) config the IIS so that this
front page doesn't require authentication.
But the problem remains.
If a user types in URL and succefully get this front page, he typed in
his user name and password and click on submit button.
Then the login page will check the credential and then redirect user
to other pages, e.g. his inbox.
But during this process, no AUTH coockie is created.
The login page doesn't create AUTH cookie.
So the user will be redirect to login page later when he visit other
page.
Please tell me what's wrong with my logic.

Thank you very much.