Form auto completion?

Norman Peelman

Hey all,

I have a form with an address and phone number in it. The address is
broken down as:

Street (number and name as a whole)
Apt
City
State
Zip

phone_area_code
phone_prefix
phone_suffix

When auto completing the above the Street, City, State, and Zip fill
in just right. But the phone number is shifted so that xxx-yyy-zzzz:

phone_area_code = blank
phone_prefix = phone_area_code -> xxx
phone_suffix = phone_suffix -> zzzz

....I was wondering if the tag names need to be of certain names or is
this purely a browser issue?

Thanks,

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Norman Peelman
Hey all,

I have a form with an address and phone number in it. The address is
broken down as:

Street (number and name as a whole)
Apt
City
State
Zip

phone_area_code
phone_prefix
phone_suffix

When auto completing the above the Street, City, State, and Zip fill
in just right. But the phone number is shifted so that xxx-yyy-zzzz:

phone_area_code = blank
phone_prefix = phone_area_code -> xxx
phone_suffix = phone_suffix -> zzzz

...I was wondering if the tag names need to be of certain names or is
this purely a browser issue?

Thanks,

Personally, I don't like forms that have broken up phone numbers. I
would like to start typing my phone number and let my browser put in the
rest. I hate having to type just the area code, tab to prefix and then
tab to number.

Additionally, what about people in other countries who do not have that
kind of numbering system? Londoners have XXXX-XXXX.

Your best bet is to use one field and deal with server side.

Norman Peelman

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Norman Peelman

Personally, I don't like forms that have broken up phone numbers. I
would like to start typing my phone number and let my browser put in the
rest. I hate having to type just the area code, tab to prefix and then
tab to number.

Additionally, what about people in other countries who do not have that
kind of numbering system? Londoners have XXXX-XXXX.

Your best bet is to use one field and deal with server side.

This is really a 'states' side of the pond web site. I suppose I over
thought it anyway... I think your advice is good, though. It would
simplify a small bit of code. Thanks.

richard

This is really a 'states' side of the pond web site. I suppose I over
thought it anyway... I think your advice is good, though. It would
simplify a small bit of code. Thanks.

Breaking them up into 3 boxes is fine, as long as it switches over
automatically. Knowing phone numbers follow the 3-3-4 pattern makes that
fairly easy. But simpliciy is better.
KISS!
Keep it simple, stupid!

Norman Peelman

richard said:
Breaking them up into 3 boxes is fine, as long as it switches over
automatically. Knowing phone numbers follow the 3-3-4 pattern makes that
fairly easy. But simpliciy is better.
KISS!
Keep it simple, stupid!

I guess I didn't explain well enough... When I begin typing the
Street address, I am presented with a drop down of previous matches that
if selected will fill out the rest of the address/phone number fields.
This is in Google Chrome (I haven't tried others yet). So the only issue
I have noticed is with the phone number being buggered. I don't know if
this is a browser issue or a input tag naming issue. I suppose I haven't
searched the right terms yet... are there 'standard' names for
auto-completing forms?

Jukka K. Korpela

Norman said:
I guess I didn't explain well enough...

I guess so too. The new explanation helped, but posting also a URL would
have helped more.
When I begin typing the
Street address, I am presented with a drop down of previous matches
that if selected will fill out the rest of the address/phone number
fields. This is in Google Chrome (I haven't tried others yet).

Do you mean that selecting a match in one field will autofill other fields
as well? Odd.

Autofilling the field itself (when the start of previous input has been
entered) is common browser practice, though subject to settings
So the only issue I have noticed is with the phone number being buggered.

It would be interesting to see that happen (and then to analyze what the
reason might be).
I don't know if this is a browser issue or a input tag naming issue. I
suppose I haven't searched the right terms yet... are there
'standard' names for auto-completing forms?

I don't think there are "standard" names, but I guess the following are
fairly common:
name (for personal name)
address (probably usually for postal address)
email (for e-mail address)
phone (for telephone numbers)

Norman Peelman

Sherm said:
Both. The browser is simply suggesting values that you've entered for
like-named inputs in the past, when you filled out some other form.

sherm--

Well, that's what I thought but it's just the one form...

richard

I guess I didn't explain well enough... When I begin typing the
Street address, I am presented with a drop down of previous matches that
if selected will fill out the rest of the address/phone number fields.
This is in Google Chrome (I haven't tried others yet). So the only issue
I have noticed is with the phone number being buggered. I don't know if
this is a browser issue or a input tag naming issue. I suppose I haven't
searched the right terms yet... are there 'standard' names for
auto-completing forms?

I believe what you are asking about is a browser issue.
You should be able to turn it off in the browser's options/settings.