Form auto completion?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Norman Peelman, Jan 17, 2011.

  1. Hey all,

    I have a form with an address and phone number in it. The address is
    broken down as:

    Street (number and name as a whole)
    Apt
    City
    State
    Zip

    phone_area_code
    phone_prefix
    phone_suffix

    When auto completing the above the Street, City, State, and Zip fill
    in just right. But the phone number is shifted so that xxx-yyy-zzzz:

    phone_area_code = blank
    phone_prefix = phone_area_code -> xxx
    phone_suffix = phone_suffix -> zzzz

    ....I was wondering if the tag names need to be of certain names or is
    this purely a browser issue?

    Thanks,

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062

    Norman Peelman, Jan 17, 2011

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Norman Peelman
    <> writing in news:ih2kl4$c0g$-
    september.org:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I have a form with an address and phone number in it. The address is
    > broken down as:
    >
    > Street (number and name as a whole)
    > Apt
    > City
    > State
    > Zip
    >
    > phone_area_code
    > phone_prefix
    > phone_suffix
    >

    > When auto completing the above the Street, City, State, and Zip fill
    > in just right. But the phone number is shifted so that xxx-yyy-zzzz:
    >
    > phone_area_code = blank
    > phone_prefix = phone_area_code -> xxx
    > phone_suffix = phone_suffix -> zzzz
    >

    > ...I was wondering if the tag names need to be of certain names or is
    > this purely a browser issue?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Personally, I don't like forms that have broken up phone numbers. I
    would like to start typing my phone number and let my browser put in the
    rest. I hate having to type just the area code, tab to prefix and then
    tab to number.

    Additionally, what about people in other countries who do not have that
    kind of numbering system? Londoners have XXXX-XXXX.

    Your best bet is to use one field and deal with server side.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 18, 2011

  3. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Norman Peelman
    > <> writing in news:ih2kl4$c0g$-
    > september.org:
    >
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> I have a form with an address and phone number in it. The address is
    >> broken down as:
    >>
    >> Street (number and name as a whole)
    >> Apt
    >> City
    >> State
    >> Zip
    >>
    >> phone_area_code
    >> phone_prefix
    >> phone_suffix
    >>

    >> When auto completing the above the Street, City, State, and Zip fill
    >> in just right. But the phone number is shifted so that xxx-yyy-zzzz:
    >>
    >> phone_area_code = blank
    >> phone_prefix = phone_area_code -> xxx
    >> phone_suffix = phone_suffix -> zzzz
    >>

    >> ...I was wondering if the tag names need to be of certain names or is
    >> this purely a browser issue?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    > Personally, I don't like forms that have broken up phone numbers. I
    > would like to start typing my phone number and let my browser put in the
    > rest. I hate having to type just the area code, tab to prefix and then
    > tab to number.
    >
    > Additionally, what about people in other countries who do not have that
    > kind of numbering system? Londoners have XXXX-XXXX.
    >
    > Your best bet is to use one field and deal with server side.

    This is really a 'states' side of the pond web site. I suppose I over
    thought it anyway... I think your advice is good, though. It would
    simplify a small bit of code. Thanks.

    Norman Peelman, Jan 18, 2011
  4. Norman Peelman

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:27:29 -0500, Norman Peelman wrote:

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Norman Peelman
    >> <> writing in news:ih2kl4$c0g$-
    >> september.org:
    >>
    >>> Hey all,
    >>>
    >>> I have a form with an address and phone number in it. The address is
    >>> broken down as:
    >>>
    >>> Street (number and name as a whole)
    >>> Apt
    >>> City
    >>> State
    >>> Zip
    >>>
    >>> phone_area_code
    >>> phone_prefix
    >>> phone_suffix
    >>>

    >>> When auto completing the above the Street, City, State, and Zip fill
    >>> in just right. But the phone number is shifted so that xxx-yyy-zzzz:
    >>>
    >>> phone_area_code = blank
    >>> phone_prefix = phone_area_code -> xxx
    >>> phone_suffix = phone_suffix -> zzzz
    >>>

    >>> ...I was wondering if the tag names need to be of certain names or is
    >>> this purely a browser issue?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>

    >> Personally, I don't like forms that have broken up phone numbers. I
    >> would like to start typing my phone number and let my browser put in the
    >> rest. I hate having to type just the area code, tab to prefix and then
    >> tab to number.
    >>
    >> Additionally, what about people in other countries who do not have that
    >> kind of numbering system? Londoners have XXXX-XXXX.
    >>
    >> Your best bet is to use one field and deal with server side.
    >>

    > This is really a 'states' side of the pond web site. I suppose I over
    > thought it anyway... I think your advice is good, though. It would
    > simplify a small bit of code. Thanks.

    Breaking them up into 3 boxes is fine, as long as it switches over
    automatically. Knowing phone numbers follow the 3-3-4 pattern makes that
    fairly easy. But simpliciy is better.
    KISS!
    Keep it simple, stupid!

    richard, Jan 18, 2011
  5. richard wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:27:29 -0500, Norman Peelman wrote:
    >
    >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Norman Peelman
    >>> <> writing in news:ih2kl4$c0g$-
    >>> september.org:

    >>> Personally, I don't like forms that have broken up phone numbers. I
    >>> would like to start typing my phone number and let my browser put in the
    >>> rest. I hate having to type just the area code, tab to prefix and then
    >>> tab to number.
    >>>
    >>> Additionally, what about people in other countries who do not have that
    >>> kind of numbering system? Londoners have XXXX-XXXX.
    >>>
    >>> Your best bet is to use one field and deal with server side.
    >>>

    >> This is really a 'states' side of the pond web site. I suppose I over
    >> thought it anyway... I think your advice is good, though. It would
    >> simplify a small bit of code. Thanks.

    > Breaking them up into 3 boxes is fine, as long as it switches over
    > automatically. Knowing phone numbers follow the 3-3-4 pattern makes that
    > fairly easy. But simpliciy is better.
    > KISS!
    > Keep it simple, stupid!

    I guess I didn't explain well enough... When I begin typing the
    Street address, I am presented with a drop down of previous matches that
    if selected will fill out the rest of the address/phone number fields.
    This is in Google Chrome (I haven't tried others yet). So the only issue
    I have noticed is with the phone number being buggered. I don't know if
    this is a browser issue or a input tag naming issue. I suppose I haven't
    searched the right terms yet... are there 'standard' names for
    auto-completing forms?

    Norman Peelman, Jan 18, 2011
  6. Norman Peelman wrote:

    > I guess I didn't explain well enough...

    I guess so too. The new explanation helped, but posting also a URL would
    have helped more.

    > When I begin typing the
    > Street address, I am presented with a drop down of previous matches
    > that if selected will fill out the rest of the address/phone number
    > fields. This is in Google Chrome (I haven't tried others yet).

    Do you mean that selecting a match in one field will autofill other fields
    as well? Odd.

    Autofilling the field itself (when the start of previous input has been
    entered) is common browser practice, though subject to settings

    > So the only issue I have noticed is with the phone number being buggered.

    It would be interesting to see that happen (and then to analyze what the
    reason might be).

    > I don't know if this is a browser issue or a input tag naming issue. I
    > suppose I haven't searched the right terms yet... are there
    > 'standard' names for auto-completing forms?

    I don't think there are "standard" names, but I guess the following are
    fairly common:
    name (for personal name)
    address (probably usually for postal address)
    email (for e-mail address)
    phone (for telephone numbers)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 18, 2011
  7. Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > Norman Peelman <> writes:
    >
    >> don't know if this is a browser issue or a input tag naming issue.

    > Both. The browser is simply suggesting values that you've entered for
    > like-named inputs in the past, when you filled out some other form.
    >
    > sherm--

    Well, that's what I thought but it's just the one form...

    Norman Peelman, Jan 19, 2011
  8. Norman Peelman

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 06:26:41 -0500, Norman Peelman wrote:

    > richard wrote:

    >>> This is really a 'states' side of the pond web site. I suppose I over
    >>> thought it anyway... I think your advice is good, though. It would
    >>> simplify a small bit of code. Thanks.

    >> Breaking them up into 3 boxes is fine, as long as it switches over
    >> automatically. Knowing phone numbers follow the 3-3-4 pattern makes that
    >> fairly easy. But simpliciy is better.
    >> KISS!
    >> Keep it simple, stupid!

    > I guess I didn't explain well enough... When I begin typing the
    > Street address, I am presented with a drop down of previous matches that
    > if selected will fill out the rest of the address/phone number fields.
    > This is in Google Chrome (I haven't tried others yet). So the only issue
    > I have noticed is with the phone number being buggered. I don't know if
    > this is a browser issue or a input tag naming issue. I suppose I haven't
    > searched the right terms yet... are there 'standard' names for
    > auto-completing forms?

    I believe what you are asking about is a browser issue.
    You should be able to turn it off in the browser's options/settings.

    richard, Jan 19, 2011