    Any pointers to software that does this are deeply appreciated!

    Thank you,
    Filipe Correia

    Filipe Correia, Nov 26, 2008

  2. Filipe Correia

    Mukul Gandhi Guest

    I think searching a generic tool for this would be difficult (which
    can display a HTML form for any possible XML Schema).

    The challenge in this task is mapping the flat HTML namespace to the
    hierarchical XML namespace.

    but you can try searching for such a tool.

    Cheers,
    Mukul

    Mukul Gandhi, Nov 26, 2008

  3. Filipe Correia

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Filipe Correia wrote:
    > Dear XMLers,
    >
    > I'm looking for an XML editor, that hides everything about XML coding
    > from the user.
    > What I have in mind is an editor to which one would provide a DTD or
    > XSD file. It would, based on that information, provide the user with a
    > form to produce compliant XML documents.

    I am assuming from what you write that your DTDs and Schemas do not use
    subelements in mixed content (eg as in HTML paragraphs), as there is no
    simple way to generate a forms-type interface for those classes of
    document where subelement markup can nest arbitrarily deep.

    Microsoft's InfoPath appears to do what you want, but I found it
    extraordinarily cumbersome to set up. It appears really to be intended
    for incorporating into a much broader system, where it is called
    automatically on other actions, not for standalone or individual usage.

    Otherwise have a look at the editors summarised in "Choosing an XML
    editor" (based on a report by Thijs van den Broek) at
    http://ahds.ac.uk/creating/information-papers/xml-editors/

    The best attempt at a forms-based editor interface was the long-obsolete
    InContext, which I reviewed in my book on SGML/XML tools[1] (not to be
    confused with the Adobe web product of the same name, AFAIK). At the
    risk of annoying my publishers I have snipped out those pages at
    http://silmaril.ie/books/extracts/InContext.pdf in case anyone is
    interested.

    1. Understanding SGML and XML Tools, Kluwer, 1998. 0792381696

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

    Peter Flynn, Nov 26, 2008
  4. On Nov 27, 3:35 pm, Manuel Collado <> wrote:
    > Please have a look at the XMLmind XML Editor (XXE):
    >
    >    http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/

    Thank you, i will look into it.

    I have been exploring Xample, and am finding it very promising
    (although, I confess, I was expecting something more user friendly)
    http://www.felixgolubov.com/XMLEditor/

    Any further suggestion will be deeply appreciated! :)

    Thanks,
    Filipe Correia

    Filipe Correia, Nov 27, 2008