    security setting causing this? I have Windows XP Pro SP2 running IIS 6.

    Thanks,
    Dominic

    Dominic Tocci, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Possibly this? http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308074

    Ray at work

    "Dominic Tocci" <> wrote in message
    news:jb4sd.56640$...
    > When I submit a form to an asp page, the request.form is not getting the
    > data. This only happens on my local copy of IIS, and not on my web host.
    > It's a simple request.form, so I know it's not a coding issue.
    >
    > The pages all load fine and access the MSAccess database perfectly.

    However,

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Dec 3, 2004

  3. Dominic Tocci wrote:
    > When I submit a form to an asp page, the request.form is not getting
    > the data. This only happens on my local copy of IIS, and not on my
    > web host. It's a simple request.form, so I know it's not a coding
    > issue.
    >
    > The pages all load fine and access the MSAccess database perfectly.
    > However, when I submit a form
    > (even the login form) to another asp page, the data is not received
    > by the target page.
    >
    > Why would this happen locally and not on the internet server? Is some
    > security setting causing this? I have Windows XP Pro SP2 running IIS
    > 6.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dominic

    Does this page run:

    test.asp

    <%
    Response.Write "test"
    %>

    If not, you need to be aware that ASP is turned off by default in IIS6. You
    need to go into IIS Manager and turn it on:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2147

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 3, 2004
  4. Thanks, Ray. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the cause. I'm not using
    any authentication and already have IE6. I thought it might be something
    with SP2, because I recall this working in the past before I installed it.
    Either that or it could be because I recently fixed my asp.net mappings by
    running the Aspnet_regiis.exe utility.

    Does that information help?

    Thanks

    message news:...

    Dominic Tocci, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Ha! That's pretty funny. Asp is definitely turned on. All the asp code on
    the pages works except for retrieving the form data. And, again, it's only
    on my local copy of IIS that this happens. The code itself works on my
    webserver.

    Thanks for the response anyway.

    Dominic Tocci, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Well, I wasn't trying to be funny.

    Can you create a small repro of your problem? A short html page with a form
    containing one testbox that submits to an asp page that simply writes the
    request.form data? Show us the source for both pages.

    Bob Barrows

    Dominic Tocci wrote:
    > Ha! That's pretty funny. Asp is definitely turned on. All the asp
    > code on the pages works except for retrieving the form data. And,
    > again, it's only on my local copy of IIS that this happens. The code
    > itself works on my webserver.
    >
    > Thanks for the response anyway.
    >
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> Dominic Tocci wrote:
    >>> When I submit a form to an asp page, the request.form is not getting
    >>> the data. This only happens on my local copy of IIS, and not on my
    >>> web host. It's a simple request.form, so I know it's not a coding
    >>> issue.
    >>>
    >>> The pages all load fine and access the MSAccess database perfectly.
    >>> However, when I submit a form
    >>> (even the login form) to another asp page, the data is not received
    >>> by the target page.
    >>>
    >>> Why would this happen locally and not on the internet server? Is
    >>> some security setting causing this? I have Windows XP Pro SP2
    >>> running IIS 6.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Dominic

    >> Does this page run:
    >>
    >> test.asp
    >>
    >> <%
    >> Response.Write "test"
    >> %>
    >>
    >> If not, you need to be aware that ASP is turned off by default in
    >> IIS6. You
    >> need to go into IIS Manager and turn it on:
    >> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2147
    >>

    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 3, 2004
  7. Well it is fixed... kind of. This seems to be a minor symptom of a larger
    problem. I believe the error may have had something to do with memory
    resources, because suddenly it could not even read the local database. I
    restarted and database access was restored, as was form submission behavior.
    So that's good, right? Well, kind of...

    Then it started giving me an error about not being able to update the
    database because it is read-only. It wasn't read-only and the permissions
    are the same that they've always been when it used to work. However, when I
    gave full control of the MSAccess files to the Internet Guest Account things
    started working again.

    So things work now... but I'm still rather confused as to why things stopped
    working in the first place.

    Is there a difference in the security settings for ASP.Net or SP2 that might
    have caused this? Maybe there's something wrong with my IIS installation or
    ODBC?

    Dominic Tocci, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Crap. I'm back to square one. Now the form submission data is not appearing
    again. I guess I'll restart and try again...

    Any ideas?

    Dominic Tocci, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Dominic Tocci wrote:

    > work. However, when I gave full control of the MSAccess files to the
    > Internet Guest Account things started working again.

    If you have multiple users, you need to grant read/write (not full) access
    to the folder containing the Access files, not just to the Access files
    themselves. Each user in the database needs to be able to create, modify and
    delete a lock file (databasename.ldb) which controls multiuser activity.

    Full access is definitely NOT needed.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 3, 2004
  10. You mentioned asp.net ... is this a .net application? If so, you should try
    posting on a dotnet group (this group is for classic asp). Specifically:

    Bob Barrows
    Dominic Tocci wrote:
    > Crap. I'm back to square one. Now the form submission data is not
    > appearing again. I guess I'll restart and try again...
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > "Dominic Tocci" <> wrote in message
    >> Well it is fixed... kind of. This seems to be a minor symptom of a
    >> larger problem. I believe the error may have had something to do
    >> with memory resources, because suddenly it could not even read the
    >> local database. I restarted and database access was restored, as
    >> was form submission behavior. So that's good, right? Well, kind
    >> of...
    >>
    >> Then it started giving me an error about not being able to update the
    >> database because it is read-only. It wasn't read-only and the
    >> permissions are the same that they've always been when it used to
    >> work. However, when I gave full control of the MSAccess files to
    >> the Internet Guest Account things started working again.
    >>
    >> So things work now... but I'm still rather confused as to why things
    >> stopped working in the first place.
    >>
    >> Is there a difference in the security settings for ASP.Net or SP2
    >> that might have caused this? Maybe there's something wrong with my
    >> IIS installation or ODBC?
    >>

    >> "Dominic Tocci" <> wrote in message
    >>> When I submit a form to an asp page, the request.form is not
    >>> getting the data. This only happens on my local copy of IIS, and
    >>> not on my web host. It's a simple request.form, so I know it's not
    >>> a coding issue.
    >>>
    >>> The pages all load fine and access the MSAccess database perfectly.
    >>> However, when I submit a form
    >>> (even the login form) to another asp page, the data is not received
    >>> by the target page.
    >>>
    >>> Why would this happen locally and not on the internet server? Is
    >>> some security setting causing this? I have Windows XP Pro SP2
    >>> running IIS 6.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Dominic

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 3, 2004
  11. Dominic Tocci

    Paxton Guest

    Dominic Tocci wrote:
    > When I submit a form to an asp page, the request.form is not getting the
    > data. This only happens on my local copy of IIS, and not on my web host.
    > It's a simple request.form, so I know it's not a coding issue.
    >
    > The pages all load fine and access the MSAccess database perfectly. However,
    > when I submit a form
    > (even the login form) to another asp page, the data is not received by the
    > target page.
    >
    > Why would this happen locally and not on the internet server? Is some
    > security setting causing this? I have Windows XP Pro SP2 running IIS 6.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dominic

    Does request.querystring work on your local machine?

    Paxton, Dec 3, 2004
  12. Hi Bob,

    I've done that. The interesting bit is that now it all works, as I've
    mentioned. I don't know how long it will work though, as the problem
    resurfaced the last time.

    Here's the test I made:

    test.asp
    <%
    mytest = request.form("test")
    Response.Write mytest
    %>

    test2.asp
    <form method="post" action="test.asp">
    <input name="test" value="123">
    <input type="submit">
    </form>

    Dominic Tocci, Dec 4, 2004
  13. I have dotnet running on the same IIS installation, but this application is
    just asp classic. The problem happened after I installed SP2 and then
    reinstalled the dotnet framework.

    Dominic Tocci, Dec 4, 2004
  14. Hi Paxton,

    Thanks for replying.

    Good question. As of right now they both work, making things very difficult
    to debug. I believe request.querystring was working even when request.form
    was not though. This indicates that the form data is simply not making it
    to the asp page, but when I pass a variable in the querystring it is right
    there in the URL.

    Thanks

    Dominic Tocci, Dec 4, 2004
  15. Dominic Tocci

    Paxton Guest

    Dominic Tocci wrote:
    > Hi Paxton,
    >
    > Thanks for replying.
    >
    > Good question. As of right now they both work, making things very difficult
    > to debug. I believe request.querystring was working even when request.form
    > was not though. This indicates that the form data is simply not making it
    > to the asp page, but when I pass a variable in the querystring it is right
    > there in the URL.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Paxton" <paxtonend@[nospamthanyouverymuch]hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dominic Tocci wrote:
    >>
    >>>When I submit a form to an asp page, the request.form is not getting the
    >>>data. This only happens on my local copy of IIS, and not on my web host.
    >>>It's a simple request.form, so I know it's not a coding issue.
    >>>
    >>>The pages all load fine and access the MSAccess database perfectly.
    >>>However, when I submit a form
    >>>(even the login form) to another asp page, the data is not received by
    >>>the target page.
    >>>
    >>>Why would this happen locally and not on the internet server? Is some
    >>>security setting causing this? I have Windows XP Pro SP2 running IIS 6.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Dominic
    >>>

    >>Does request.querystring work on your local machine?

    I had a similar problem with POSTing forms, while GETting worked fine.
    The cause of the problem appeared to be having Mozilla Firefox set as a
    default browser. I'm still trying to find out why.

    Paxton, Dec 5, 2004
  16. "Paxton" <paxtonend@[nospamthankyouverymuch]hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dominic Tocci wrote:
    >> Hi Paxton,
    >>
    >> Thanks for replying.
    >>
    >> Good question. As of right now they both work, making things very
    >> difficult to debug. I believe request.querystring was working even when
    >> request.form was not though. This indicates that the form data is simply
    >> not making it to the asp page, but when I pass a variable in the
    >> querystring it is right there in the URL.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> "Paxton" <paxtonend@[nospamthanyouverymuch]hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>Does request.querystring work on your local machine?

    > I had a similar problem with POSTing forms, while GETting worked fine. The
    > cause of the problem appeared to be having Mozilla Firefox set as a
    > default browser. I'm still trying to find out why.

    Thank you, Paxton. This could have been the cause, as firefox was another
    piece of software that I installed between when it used to work reliably and
    now.

    I tried opening and closing firefox and then going back to the local website
    but I can't get the errors to reproduce. Undoubtably they'll turn up again
    when I'm rushing to get something done, as Murphy's Law dictates. Anyway, I
    never had firefox as my default browser, at least not that I know of. When
    it asked I always said "no" but who knows what might have happened behind
    the scenes.

    Thanks for the input and keeping with this thread.

    Dominic

    Dominic Tocci, Dec 6, 2004