form data missing

Dominic Tocci

When I submit a form to an asp page, the request.form is not getting the
data. This only happens on my local copy of IIS, and not on my web host.
It's a simple request.form, so I know it's not a coding issue.

The pages all load fine and access the MSAccess database perfectly. However,
when I submit a form
(even the login form) to another asp page, the data is not received by the
target page.

Why would this happen locally and not on the internet server? Is some
security setting causing this? I have Windows XP Pro SP2 running IIS 6.

Thanks,
Dominic

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Dominic said:
When I submit a form to an asp page, the request.form is not getting
the data. This only happens on my local copy of IIS, and not on my
web host. It's a simple request.form, so I know it's not a coding
issue.

The pages all load fine and access the MSAccess database perfectly.
However, when I submit a form
(even the login form) to another asp page, the data is not received
by the target page.

Why would this happen locally and not on the internet server? Is some
security setting causing this? I have Windows XP Pro SP2 running IIS
6.

Thanks,
Dominic

Does this page run:

test.asp

<%
Response.Write "test"
%>

If not, you need to be aware that ASP is turned off by default in IIS6. You
need to go into IIS Manager and turn it on:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2147

Dominic Tocci

Thanks, Ray. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the cause. I'm not using
any authentication and already have IE6. I thought it might be something
with SP2, because I recall this working in the past before I installed it.
Either that or it could be because I recently fixed my asp.net mappings by
running the Aspnet_regiis.exe utility.

Does that information help?

Thanks

Dominic Tocci

Ha! That's pretty funny. Asp is definitely turned on. All the asp code on
the pages works except for retrieving the form data. And, again, it's only
on my local copy of IIS that this happens. The code itself works on my
webserver.

Thanks for the response anyway.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Well, I wasn't trying to be funny.

Can you create a small repro of your problem? A short html page with a form
containing one testbox that submits to an asp page that simply writes the
request.form data? Show us the source for both pages.

Bob Barrows

Dominic Tocci

Well it is fixed... kind of. This seems to be a minor symptom of a larger
problem. I believe the error may have had something to do with memory
resources, because suddenly it could not even read the local database. I
restarted and database access was restored, as was form submission behavior.
So that's good, right? Well, kind of...

Then it started giving me an error about not being able to update the
database because it is read-only. It wasn't read-only and the permissions
are the same that they've always been when it used to work. However, when I
gave full control of the MSAccess files to the Internet Guest Account things
started working again.

So things work now... but I'm still rather confused as to why things stopped
working in the first place.

Is there a difference in the security settings for ASP.Net or SP2 that might
have caused this? Maybe there's something wrong with my IIS installation or
ODBC?

Dominic Tocci

Crap. I'm back to square one. Now the form submission data is not appearing
again. I guess I'll restart and try again...

Any ideas?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Dominic said:
work. However, when I gave full control of the MSAccess files to the
Internet Guest Account things started working again.
If you have multiple users, you need to grant read/write (not full) access
to the folder containing the Access files, not just to the Access files
themselves. Each user in the database needs to be able to create, modify and
delete a lock file (databasename.ldb) which controls multiuser activity.

Full access is definitely NOT needed.

Bob Barrows

Bob Barrows [MVP]

You mentioned asp.net ... is this a .net application? If so, you should try
posting on a dotnet group (this group is for classic asp). Specifically:

Bob Barrows

Paxton

Dominic said:
When I submit a form to an asp page, the request.form is not getting the
data. This only happens on my local copy of IIS, and not on my web host.
It's a simple request.form, so I know it's not a coding issue.

The pages all load fine and access the MSAccess database perfectly. However,
when I submit a form
(even the login form) to another asp page, the data is not received by the
target page.

Why would this happen locally and not on the internet server? Is some
security setting causing this? I have Windows XP Pro SP2 running IIS 6.

Thanks,
Dominic

Does request.querystring work on your local machine?

Dominic Tocci

Hi Bob,

I've done that. The interesting bit is that now it all works, as I've
mentioned. I don't know how long it will work though, as the problem
resurfaced the last time.

Here's the test I made:

test.asp
<%
mytest = request.form("test")
Response.Write mytest
%>

test2.asp
<form method="post" action="test.asp">
<input name="test" value="123">
<input type="submit">
</form>

Dominic Tocci

I have dotnet running on the same IIS installation, but this application is
just asp classic. The problem happened after I installed SP2 and then
reinstalled the dotnet framework.

Dominic Tocci

Hi Paxton,

Thanks for replying.

Good question. As of right now they both work, making things very difficult
to debug. I believe request.querystring was working even when request.form
was not though. This indicates that the form data is simply not making it
to the asp page, but when I pass a variable in the querystring it is right
there in the URL.

Thanks

Paxton

Dominic said:
Hi Paxton,

Thanks for replying.

Good question. As of right now they both work, making things very difficult
to debug. I believe request.querystring was working even when request.form
was not though. This indicates that the form data is simply not making it
to the asp page, but when I pass a variable in the querystring it is right
there in the URL.

Thanks
I had a similar problem with POSTing forms, while GETting worked fine.
The cause of the problem appeared to be having Mozilla Firefox set as a
default browser. I'm still trying to find out why.

Dominic Tocci

Paxton said:
I had a similar problem with POSTing forms, while GETting worked fine. The
cause of the problem appeared to be having Mozilla Firefox set as a
default browser. I'm still trying to find out why.

Thank you, Paxton. This could have been the cause, as firefox was another
piece of software that I installed between when it used to work reliably and
now.

I tried opening and closing firefox and then going back to the local website
but I can't get the errors to reproduce. Undoubtably they'll turn up again
when I'm rushing to get something done, as Murphy's Law dictates. Anyway, I
never had firefox as my default browser, at least not that I know of. When
it asked I always said "no" but who knows what might have happened behind
the scenes.

Thanks for the input and keeping with this thread.

Dominic