Form doesn't submit onUnload in Netscape

Yashwant

Dear Netscape/Javascript/Java gurus,

I am trying to submit a form onUnLoad when the user accidentally
closes the browser before clicking on a link to complete the
transaction.

On IE, this works fine.
But on Netscape or Mozzilla browsers, the form would simply not submit
when
the browser is closed.

here is the code.
<script language="JavaScript">
function CheckWindowClosed() {
document.MyForm.submit();
}
</script>

Kindly let me know if there is any workaround or fix where I can get
this working on Netscape.

Thanks and Regards,
Yash

Andrew Thompson

On 3 May 2004 10:02:31 -0700, Yashwant wrote:

comp.lang.java.programmer,
comp.lang.javascript,
netscape.public.mozilla.general,
netscape.public.general

Please do not cross-post so widely in future
Dear Netscape/Javascript/Java gurus, .....
<script language="JavaScript">

You have the wrong group.
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#js>

But then, I notice in your wild cross-posting
that one of the groups is actually the correct one.

Invalid group 'netscape.public.general'
dropped from cross-post.

F'Ups set to the correct group.

Dave Monroe

Dear Netscape/Javascript/Java gurus,

I am trying to submit a form onUnLoad when the user accidentally
closes the browser before clicking on a link to complete the
transaction.

On IE, this works fine.
But on Netscape or Mozzilla browsers, the form would simply not submit
when
the browser is closed.

here is the code.
<script language="JavaScript">
function CheckWindowClosed() {
document.MyForm.submit();
}
</script>

Kindly let me know if there is any workaround or fix where I can get
this working on Netscape.

Thanks and Regards,
Yash

The comp.lang.java.programmer posting suggests that you believe that
javascript and java are somehow the same thing. Not true.

Your issue is with javascript.

Use a button and the 'onClick=CheckWindowClosed()' event handler.

Michael Winter

[FUs set to clj]
I am trying to submit a form onUnLoad when the user accidentally
closes the browser before clicking on a link to complete the
transaction.

Then show a warning clearly on the page that closing the browser before
finishing the transaction will cause them to lose all their information.
On IE, this works fine.
But on Netscape or Mozzilla browsers, the form would simply not submit
when the browser is closed.

Why should it? The browser is closing. It doesn't make sense for an
application to do anything more than internal clean-up operations when the
user closes it. Initiating another round of HTTP requests should be out of
the question. Moreover, you do realise that browsers like Opera don't even
fire the unload event when they close.
here is the code.
<script language="JavaScript">

Though this is the least of your worries, that should read

<script type="text/javascript">

The type attribute is required, whereas the language attribute is
deprecated and should no long be used.

[snip]

Good luck,
Mike