    Any clues? Anyone else ever had similar feedback?

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Oct 10, 2003

  2. William Tasso

    kayodeok Guest

    "William Tasso" <> wrote in
    news:bm6th5$jt0vf$-berlin.de:

    > I've just received some feed-back from a customer
    >
    > Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his
    > site needs tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic). He
    > was unable to elaborate although I have encouraged him to try
    > and find out more.
    >
    > A page similar to the work in question can be found here:
    > http://williamtasso.com/contact.asp
    >
    > Any clues? Anyone else ever had similar feedback?

    I have had similar feedback on a form I designed for the Finance
    Intranet at work.

    My manager complained about the styling which was similar to yours.
    She wanted it on windows default colors which means your pretty
    background is out (the form had to look like a form - similar to
    what you get on paper - white background, unstyled input boxes,
    grey search button etc).

    She also wanted user friendly prompts such as like the page below
    (a random link):

    http://kalsey.com/simplified/form_errors/index.html

    Except that the prompts I ended up with were more verbose and
    overshadowed the form!

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
    kayodeok, Oct 10, 2003

  3. William Tasso

    Wipkip Guest

    William Tasso wrote:
    > Greetings one and all.
    >
    > I've just received some feed-back from a customer
    >
    > Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his site
    > needs tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic). He was unable
    > to elaborate although I have encouraged him to try and find out more.
    >
    > A page similar to the work in question can be found here:
    > http://williamtasso.com/contact.asp
    >
    > Any clues? Anyone else ever had similar feedback?

    It didn't work for me until I disabled my Nortons firewall.
    What I got was
    HTTP 500 - Internal server error

    --
    Duende
    Wipkip, Oct 10, 2003
  4. Wipkip wrote:
    > William Tasso wrote:
    >> A page similar to the work in question can be found here:
    >> http://williamtasso.com/contact.asp
    >>
    >> Any clues? Anyone else ever had similar feedback?

    > It didn't work for me until I disabled my Nortons firewall.
    > What I got was
    > HTTP 500 - Internal server error

    Really?

    What setting in your firewall did it trip? There's nothing 'clever' there
    at all.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Oct 10, 2003
  5. William Tasso

    brucie Guest

    In post <bm6th5$jt0vf$-berlin.de>
    William Tasso said...

    > I've just received some feed-back from a customer
    > Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his site needs
    > tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic).

    my guess is that the person is an AOLer and probably a newbie. they
    haven't been around much but they've used lots of forms on AOL and
    they think thats how they're supposed to be, not aware that they can
    and do vary just as much as each website does.

    --
    brucie.
    11/October/2003 07:09:27 am
    brucie, Oct 10, 2003
  6. William Tasso

    Wipkip Guest

    William Tasso wrote:
    > Wipkip wrote:
    >> William Tasso wrote:
    >>> A page similar to the work in question can be found here:
    >>> http://williamtasso.com/contact.asp
    >>>
    >>> Any clues? Anyone else ever had similar feedback?

    >> It didn't work for me until I disabled my Nortons firewall.
    >> What I got was
    >> HTTP 500 - Internal server error

    > Really?
    >
    > What setting in your firewall did it trip? There's nothing 'clever'
    > there at all.

    I have my firewall set to Enable Browser Privacy. I think it is now the defalt for nortons. It hides
    your browser type/brand & OS. With it turned off your form worked as you can see from my second try.

    --
    Duende
    Wipkip, Oct 10, 2003
  7. brucie wrote:
    > In post <bm6th5$jt0vf$-berlin.de>
    > William Tasso said...
    >
    >> I've just received some feed-back from a customer
    >> Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his site
    >> needs tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic).

    > my guess is that the person is an AOLer and probably a newbie. they
    > haven't been around much but they've used lots of forms on AOL and

    Well that's easy then - I'll just pop this at the top of the page:
    enable both via your browser's preferences settings. </p>

    reduce the font size and then frig around with the page till the input text
    boxes obscure the labels - no problem.

    > they think thats how they're supposed to be, not aware that they can
    > and do vary just as much as each website does.

    but, but, but it is obviously a form - isn't it?

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Oct 10, 2003
  8. kayodeok wrote:
    > "William Tasso" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I've just received some feed-back from a customer
    >>
    >> Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his
    >> site needs tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic).
    >>

    > My manager complained about the styling which was similar to yours.
    > She wanted it on windows default colors which means your pretty
    > background is out (the form had to look like a form - similar to
    > what you get on paper - white background, unstyled input boxes,
    > grey search button etc).

    hmmm. could be a 'similar to what you get on paper' issue

    > She also wanted user friendly prompts

    The content is provided (fortunately) by the client.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Oct 10, 2003
  9. William Tasso

    brucie Guest

    In post <bm7bcb$jfv7l$-berlin.de>
    William Tasso said...

    > but, but, but it is obviously a form - isn't it?

    kind of. when i first saw it it reminded me of a piece of toast but i
    think thats just an indication that i shouldn't have stopped taking my
    pills.

    --
    brucie.
    11/October/2003 08:29:32 am
    brucie, Oct 10, 2003
  10. William Tasso

    Brian Guest

    William Tasso wrote:
    > Greetings one and all.
    >
    > I've just received some feed-back from a customer
    >
    > Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his site needs
    > tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic). He was unable to elaborate
    > although I have encouraged him to try and find out more.
    >
    > A page similar to the work in question can be found here:
    > http://williamtasso.com/contact.asp
    >
    > Any clues? Anyone else ever had similar feedback?

    fyi, I cannot connect. (server problems?)
    Sat 11 Oct 2003 2:39pm est

    --
    Brian
    follow the directions in my address to email me
    Brian, Oct 11, 2003
  11. William Tasso wrote:
    > Greetings one and all.
    >
    > I've just received some feed-back from a customer
    >
    > Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his site needs
    > tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic).

    Your customer's right. It's certainly possible to actually enhance the
    usability of forms through styling. But most of the time, styles are
    used to make forms look like decoration. Forms are information-gathering
    devices. You want your visitors to fill them out, not admire them.

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Oct 13, 2003
  12. Matthias Gutfeldt wrote:
    > William Tasso wrote:
    >>
    >> I've just received some feed-back from a customer
    >>
    >> Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his site
    >> needs tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic).

    > Your customer's right.

    Of course - that's how we do business.

    > It's certainly possible to actually enhance the
    > usability of forms through styling. But most of the time, styles are
    > used to make forms look like decoration. Forms are
    > information-gathering devices. You want your visitors to fill them
    > out, not admire them.

    indeed. I suspect it is a culture thing. Anyway, today is Monday and I
    shall be encouraging my contact to be more rigorous with the feedback
    gathering excercise.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Oct 13, 2003