form-like

William Tasso

Greetings one and all.

I've just received some feed-back from a customer

Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his site needs
tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic). He was unable to elaborate
although I have encouraged him to try and find out more.

A page similar to the work in question can be found here:
http://williamtasso.com/contact.asp

Any clues? Anyone else ever had similar feedback?

kayodeok

I've just received some feed-back from a customer

Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his
site needs tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic). He
was unable to elaborate although I have encouraged him to try
and find out more.

A page similar to the work in question can be found here:
http://williamtasso.com/contact.asp

Any clues? Anyone else ever had similar feedback?

I have had similar feedback on a form I designed for the Finance
Intranet at work.

My manager complained about the styling which was similar to yours.
She wanted it on windows default colors which means your pretty
background is out (the form had to look like a form - similar to
what you get on paper - white background, unstyled input boxes,
grey search button etc).

She also wanted user friendly prompts such as like the page below
(a random link):

http://kalsey.com/simplified/form_errors/index.html

Except that the prompts I ended up with were more verbose and
overshadowed the form!

Wipkip

William said:
Greetings one and all.

I've just received some feed-back from a customer

Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his site
needs tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic). He was unable
to elaborate although I have encouraged him to try and find out more.

A page similar to the work in question can be found here:
http://williamtasso.com/contact.asp

Any clues? Anyone else ever had similar feedback?

It didn't work for me until I disabled my Nortons firewall.
What I got was
HTTP 500 - Internal server error

William Tasso

Wipkip said:
It didn't work for me until I disabled my Nortons firewall.
What I got was
HTTP 500 - Internal server error

Really?

What setting in your firewall did it trip? There's nothing 'clever' there
at all.

brucie

I've just received some feed-back from a customer
Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his site needs
tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic).

my guess is that the person is an AOLer and probably a newbie. they
haven't been around much but they've used lots of forms on AOL and
they think thats how they're supposed to be, not aware that they can
and do vary just as much as each website does.

Wipkip

William said:
Really?

What setting in your firewall did it trip? There's nothing 'clever'
there at all.

I have my firewall set to Enable Browser Privacy. I think it is now the defalt for nortons. It hides
your browser type/brand & OS. With it turned off your form worked as you can see from my second try.

William Tasso

brucie said:
my guess is that the person is an AOLer and probably a newbie. they
haven't been around much but they've used lots of forms on AOL and

Well that's easy then - I'll just pop this at the top of the page:
enable both via your browser's preferences settings. </p>

reduce the font size and then frig around with the page till the input text
boxes obscure the labels - no problem.
they think thats how they're supposed to be, not aware that they can
and do vary just as much as each website does.

but, but, but it is obviously a form - isn't it?

William Tasso

kayodeok said:
My manager complained about the styling which was similar to yours.
She wanted it on windows default colors which means your pretty
background is out (the form had to look like a form - similar to
what you get on paper - white background, unstyled input boxes,
grey search button etc).

hmmm. could be a 'similar to what you get on paper' issue
She also wanted user friendly prompts

The content is provided (fortunately) by the client.

brucie

but, but, but it is obviously a form - isn't it?

kind of. when i first saw it it reminded me of a piece of toast but i
think thats just an indication that i shouldn't have stopped taking my
pills.

Brian

William said:
Greetings one and all.

I've just received some feed-back from a customer

Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his site needs
tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic). He was unable to elaborate
although I have encouraged him to try and find out more.

A page similar to the work in question can be found here:
http://williamtasso.com/contact.asp

Any clues? Anyone else ever had similar feedback?

fyi, I cannot connect. (server problems?)
Sat 11 Oct 2003 2:39pm est

Matthias Gutfeldt

William said:
Greetings one and all.

I've just received some feed-back from a customer

Apparently (according to his customers) a form I made for his site needs
tweaking/changing to look more like a form(sic).

Your customer's right. It's certainly possible to actually enhance the
usability of forms through styling. But most of the time, styles are
used to make forms look like decoration. Forms are information-gathering
devices. You want your visitors to fill them out, not admire them.

Matthias

William Tasso

Matthias said:
Your customer's right.

Of course - that's how we do business.
It's certainly possible to actually enhance the
usability of forms through styling. But most of the time, styles are
used to make forms look like decoration. Forms are
information-gathering devices. You want your visitors to fill them
out, not admire them.

indeed. I suspect it is a culture thing. Anyway, today is Monday and I
shall be encouraging my contact to be more rigorous with the feedback
gathering excercise.