    Paint A House
    http://www.paintahouse.com
    NOTE: This emailbox is CLOSED do NOT reply!!!

    Davmagic .Com, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Davmagic .Com

    Neal Guest

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:13:01 -0400, Davmagic .Com <> wrote:

    > I maintain that using Form Mail for user contact is better than using a
    > Mailto link... for a few important reasons:
    >
    > 1. Form Mail can be used by all users irregardless if they have an email
    > program available to them or not... whereas Mailto can only be used if a
    > user has an email program available, leaving many public internet users
    > with disabled email out of luck with Mailto...
    >
    > 2. Form Mail if properly configured can eliminate email harvesting
    > resulting in less spam mail... whereas Mailto cannot, unless JavaScript
    > is used to disguise the address, which leaves users with JS disabled,
    > out of luck...

    Consider, though, that users may want to use their client to email you, as
    it saves a copy locally.

    The best approach is to use a secure CGI mail form but also provide a real
    address. The spam can be handled locally, it's a small price to pay for
    accommodating user need.

    Neal, Sep 27, 2004

  3. >From: (Neal)
    >The best approach is to use a secure CGI
    >mail form but also provide a real address.
    >The spam can be handled locally, it's a
    >small price to pay for accommodating
    >user need.

    By "locally" do you mean with spam filters? If so... no this is not a
    viable solution... for my (in particular) email client...

    As far as "paying prices" goes, it seems that letting the user pay it,
    with no Mailto links would be more prudent, not more accomodating but
    more prudent...

    Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
    http://www.davmagic.com

    Davmagic .Com, Sep 27, 2004
  4. Davmagic .Com

    Dano Guest

    "Davmagic .Com" <> schreef in bericht

    >>From: (Neal)
    >>The best approach is to use a secure CGI
    >>mail form but also provide a real address.
    >>The spam can be handled locally, it's a
    >>small price to pay for accommodating
    >>user need.

    > By "locally" do you mean with spam filters? If so... no this is not a
    > viable solution... for my (in particular) email client...
    >
    > As far as "paying prices" goes, it seems that letting the user pay it,
    > with no Mailto links would be more prudent, not more accomodating but
    > more prudent...

    Sometimes you see on a site not the actual clickable mailto-link, but the
    email in some textformat, like:
    john.doe (at) hotmail (dot) com or (but then without
    the hyperlink)

    --
    Dano

    Dano, Sep 27, 2004
  5. Davmagic .Com

    Jim Higson Guest

    Davmagic .Com wrote:

    >>From: (Neal)
    >>The best approach is to use a secure CGI
    >>mail form but also provide a real address.
    >>The spam can be handled locally, it's a
    >>small price to pay for accommodating
    >>user need.

    > By "locally" do you mean with spam filters? If so... no this is not a
    > viable solution... for my (in particular) email client...

    Yes, spam filters are good, but you don't need to rely on your client to
    filter.

    SpamAssassin is a **superb** filter - On some accounts I get a spam:ham
    ratio of about 20:1 and I've had no false positives and only ONE false
    negative in the last year or so.

    It is free software and can run as a proxy between your client and the
    mailserver, or on the mail server, or (with a decent email client) be
    called by the client when it fetches the mail.

    Getting back to the original question, I like my email client. A lot of
    people don't apreciate how nice a good client is to use because they've
    only ever seen Outlook, but I much prefer typing with a tool setup for
    email with spellchecker, email-ish wrapping, text highlighting, and where I
    can just hit a key to send - much, much nicer than a plain html textarea.

    Jim Higson, Sep 28, 2004