Form Post looses Umlaut

Guest

I am trying to post a simple Form from HTML File to an ASPX File. If I enter
sth like "Pöhler" into the INPUT field, the target ASP shows that "Phler" was
posted.

Where is the umlaut gone?

Markus

Juan T. Llibre

Try setting the encodings and culture in web.config
to values which allow characters 128-255 to be both
read and written.

For example,

<globalization
requestEncoding="iso-8859-1"
responseEncoding="iso-8859-1"
fileEncoding="iso-8859-1"
culture="es-DO"
uiCulture="es-DO"
/>

You might have to test to see which values are in accord
with the culture for the country you're located in.

Guest

Good answer, thank you!!

Markus Pöhler
Software Developer
netpoint-edv gmbh
Germany

Joerg Jooss

Juan said:
Try setting the encodings and culture in web.config
to values which allow characters 128-255 to be both
read and written.

For example,

<globalization
requestEncoding="iso-8859-1"
responseEncoding="iso-8859-1"
fileEncoding="iso-8859-1"
culture="es-DO"
uiCulture="es-DO"
/>

You might have to test to see which values are in accord
with the culture for the country you're located in.

Rather than changing the server-side, I'd change the client-side to
properly send UTF-8.

Cheers,

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Rather than changing the server-side, I'd change
the client-side to properly send UTF-8.

B-b-b-u-t, how would server-side programming change the
client-side setup, and how would the client "send" anything ?

Joerg Jooss

Juan said:
re:

B-b-b-u-t, how would server-side programming change the
client-side setup, and how would the client "send" anything ?

Not the setup, but the behaviour.

Assuming a browser is configured to use the encoding provided by the
server-side, the answer is: provide the encoding:

That's what ASP.NET does, BTW.

If the client doesn't pick it up, it's either hardwired to use a
certain encoding (evil), or some stray META tag has overruled the HTTP
header (super evil).

Cheers,