    secure). Is this something I can fix somehow? Or should it happen?
    (I'm trying to use POST method for all my pages)

    , Jan 4, 2007

  2. Re: form posted fields disappear when posting from secure to a non-securepage

    wrote:
    > Not sure if this question is related to HTML or if it's an ASP
    > thing, but when I post a form in a secure page to a nonsecure page, the
    > posted fields come in as blank (this doesn't happen from nonsecure to
    > secure). Is this something I can fix somehow? Or should it happen?
    > (I'm trying to use POST method for all my pages)

    I don't know how you're doing this, but if you're relying on Session
    variables to persist data from one page to the next, you can't.
    http://www.example.com is a different website from
    https://www.example.com, and none of the pages on either of them knows
    about any data you've stored in Session on pages from the other.

    Harlan Messinger, Jan 4, 2007

    Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Not sure if this question is related to HTML or if it's an ASP
    > > thing, but when I post a form in a secure page to a nonsecure page, the
    > > posted fields come in as blank (this doesn't happen from nonsecure to
    > > secure). Is this something I can fix somehow? Or should it happen?
    > > (I'm trying to use POST method for all my pages)
    > >

    > I don't know how you're doing this, but if you're relying on Session
    > variables to persist data from one page to the next, you can't.
    > http://www.example.com is a different website from
    > https://www.example.com, and none of the pages on either of them knows
    > about any data you've stored in Session on pages from the other.

    No, I mean form fields. Like
    Page 1 (secure):
    <form name="bleh" method="post" action="/pages/test.asp">
    <input type="text" name="emailaddress">
    <input type="submit" ...>
    </form>

    In test.asp the value of the field 'emailaddress' (as in
    request.form("emailaddress")) is blank

    , Jan 4, 2007
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > Harlan Messinger wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> > Not sure if this question is related to HTML or if it's an ASP
    >> > thing, but when I post a form in a secure page to a nonsecure page,
    >> > the posted fields come in as blank (this doesn't happen from
    >> > nonsecure to secure). Is this something I can fix somehow? Or
    >> > should it happen? (I'm trying to use POST method for all my pages)
    >> >

    >> I don't know how you're doing this, but if you're relying on Session
    >> variables to persist data from one page to the next, you can't.
    >> http://www.example.com is a different website from
    >> https://www.example.com, and none of the pages on either of them
    >> knows about any data you've stored in Session on pages from the
    >> other.

    > No, I mean form fields. Like
    > Page 1 (secure):
    ><form name="bleh" method="post" action="/pages/test.asp">
    ><input type="text" name="emailaddress">
    ><input type="submit" ...>
    ></form>
    >
    > In test.asp the value of the field 'emailaddress' (as in
    > request.form("emailaddress")) is blank

    What happens if you do this on the page that is losing the data?

    <%
    For ix = 1 to Request.Form.Count
    field = Request.Form.Key(ix)
    InputValue = Request.Form.Item(ix)
    response.write field & " = " & InputValue & "<br />"
    Next
    %>

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 5, 2007

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in
    >

    > > Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > >> >

    > >> I don't know how you're doing this, but if you're relying on Session
    > >> variables to persist data from one page to the next, you can't.
    > >> http://www.example.com is a different website from
    > >> https://www.example.com, and none of the pages on either of them
    > >> knows about any data you've stored in Session on pages from the
    > >> other.

    > > No, I mean form fields. Like
    > > Page 1 (secure):
    > ><form name="bleh" method="post" action="/pages/test.asp">
    > ><input type="text" name="emailaddress">
    > ><input type="submit" ...>
    > ></form>
    > >
    > > In test.asp the value of the field 'emailaddress' (as in
    > > request.form("emailaddress")) is blank
    > >

    > What happens if you do this on the page that is losing the data?
    >
    > <%
    > For ix = 1 to Request.Form.Count
    > field = Request.Form.Key(ix)
    > InputValue = Request.Form.Item(ix)
    > response.write field & " = " & InputValue & "<br />"
    > Next
    > %>

    If I enter from a secure page, the field is blank. If I enter from a
    nonsecure page, the field has the value entered.

    , Jan 5, 2007
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    page,

    pages)

    Session
    >> > No, I mean form fields. Like
    >> > Page 1 (secure):
    >> ><form name="bleh" method="post" action="/pages/test.asp">
    >> ><input type="text" name="emailaddress">
    >> ><input type="submit" ...>
    >> ></form>
    >> >
    >> > In test.asp the value of the field 'emailaddress' (as in
    >> > request.form("emailaddress")) is blank
    >> >

    >> What happens if you do this on the page that is losing the data?
    >>
    >> <%
    >> For ix = 1 to Request.Form.Count
    >> field = Request.Form.Key(ix)
    >> InputValue = Request.Form.Item(ix)
    >> response.write field & " = " & InputValue & "<br />"
    >> Next
    >> %>
    >>

    > If I enter from a secure page, the field is blank. If I enter from a
    > nonsecure page, the field has the value entered.

    What is the value of the action attribute of the form element? You need
    to specify https there as well, eg:

    <form method="post" action="https://www.example.com/form.asp">

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 6, 2007

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in
    >

    > > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > page,

    > pages)

    > Session

    > >> What happens if you do this on the page that is losing the data?
    > >>
    > >> <%
    > >> For ix = 1 to Request.Form.Count
    > >> field = Request.Form.Key(ix)
    > >> InputValue = Request.Form.Item(ix)
    > >> response.write field & " = " & InputValue & "<br />"
    > >> Next
    > >> %>
    > >>

    > > If I enter from a secure page, the field is blank. If I enter from a
    > > nonsecure page, the field has the value entered.
    > >

    > What is the value of the action attribute of the form element? You need
    > to specify https there as well, eg:
    >
    > <form method="post" action="https://www.example.com/form.asp">

    But the page I'm posting to is not secure.
    Basically, the field and form are part of a page header which all my
    pages share with a 'search' field. So, when someone enters a word here
    and presses the 'go' button, the value is (or should be) posted to the
    'search_results' page which does the searching and shows the results.
    So, the callling page could be secure or not, and the action for the
    form would be 'http:' since the "search results" page is not secure.
    But what I found is that, when I do it from a non-secure page the field
    goes fine, but when I do it from a secure page, the field goes blank.

    , Jan 8, 2007
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    >> > If I enter from a secure page, the field is blank. If I enter from

    >> > nonsecure page, the field has the value entered.
    >> >

    >> What is the value of the action attribute of the form element? You

    need
    >> to specify https there as well, eg:
    >>
    >> <form method="post" action="https://www.example.com/form.asp">
    >>

    > But the page I'm posting to is not secure.
    > Basically, the field and form are part of a page header which all my
    > pages share with a 'search' field. So, when someone enters a word here
    > and presses the 'go' button, the value is (or should be) posted to the
    > 'search_results' page which does the searching and shows the results.
    > So, the callling page could be secure or not, and the action for the
    > form would be 'http:' since the "search results" page is not secure.
    > But what I found is that, when I do it from a non-secure page the

    field
    > goes fine, but when I do it from a secure page, the field goes blank.

    Then you have to determine whether or not you are on a secure page.

    <% if request.servervariables("HTTPS") = "off" then
    serverswitch = "HTTPS"
    else
    serverswitch = "HTTP"
    end if

    formaction = serverswith & request.servervariables("script_name")
    if request.servervariables("querystring") <> "" then
    formaction = formaction & "?" & request.servervariables
    ("quertystring")
    else
    formaction = formaction
    end if
    %>

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 10, 2007
  9. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Adrienne Boswell <>
    writing in news:Xns98B3C5AE31FEarbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121:

    > ("quertystring")

    querystring not queRtystring

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 10, 2007