form posted fields disappear when posting from secure to a non-secure page

wolfing1

Not sure if this question is related to HTML or if it's an ASP
thing, but when I post a form in a secure page to a nonsecure page, the
posted fields come in as blank (this doesn't happen from nonsecure to
secure). Is this something I can fix somehow? Or should it happen?
(I'm trying to use POST method for all my pages)

Harlan Messinger

Not sure if this question is related to HTML or if it's an ASP
thing, but when I post a form in a secure page to a nonsecure page, the
posted fields come in as blank (this doesn't happen from nonsecure to
secure). Is this something I can fix somehow? Or should it happen?
(I'm trying to use POST method for all my pages)

I don't know how you're doing this, but if you're relying on Session
variables to persist data from one page to the next, you can't.
http://www.example.com is a different website from
https://www.example.com, and none of the pages on either of them knows
about any data you've stored in Session on pages from the other.

wolfing1

Harlan said:
I don't know how you're doing this, but if you're relying on Session
variables to persist data from one page to the next, you can't.
http://www.example.com is a different website from
https://www.example.com, and none of the pages on either of them knows
about any data you've stored in Session on pages from the other.
No, I mean form fields. Like
Page 1 (secure):
<form name="bleh" method="post" action="/pages/test.asp">
<input type="text" name="emailaddress">
<input type="submit" ...>
</form>

In test.asp the value of the field 'emailaddress' (as in
request.form("emailaddress")) is blank

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in

No, I mean form fields. Like
Page 1 (secure):
<form name="bleh" method="post" action="/pages/test.asp">
<input type="text" name="emailaddress">
<input type="submit" ...>
</form>

In test.asp the value of the field 'emailaddress' (as in
request.form("emailaddress")) is blank

What happens if you do this on the page that is losing the data?

<%
For ix = 1 to Request.Form.Count
field = Request.Form.Key(ix)
InputValue = Request.Form.Item(ix)
response.write field & " = " & InputValue & "<br />"
Next
%>

wolfing1

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in

What happens if you do this on the page that is losing the data?

<%
For ix = 1 to Request.Form.Count
field = Request.Form.Key(ix)
InputValue = Request.Form.Item(ix)
response.write field & " = " & InputValue & "<br />"
Next
%>
If I enter from a secure page, the field is blank. If I enter from a
nonsecure page, the field has the value entered.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
If I enter from a secure page, the field is blank. If I enter from a
nonsecure page, the field has the value entered.

What is the value of the action attribute of the form element? You need
to specify https there as well, eg:

<form method="post" action="https://www.example.com/form.asp">

wolfing1

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in

What is the value of the action attribute of the form element? You need
to specify https there as well, eg:

<form method="post" action="https://www.example.com/form.asp">
But the page I'm posting to is not secure.
Basically, the field and form are part of a page header which all my
pages share with a 'search' field. So, when someone enters a word here
and presses the 'go' button, the value is (or should be) posted to the
'search_results' page which does the searching and shows the results.
So, the callling page could be secure or not, and the action for the
form would be 'http:' since the "search results" page is not secure.
But what I found is that, when I do it from a non-secure page the field
goes fine, but when I do it from a secure page, the field goes blank.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
But the page I'm posting to is not secure.
Basically, the field and form are part of a page header which all my
pages share with a 'search' field. So, when someone enters a word here
and presses the 'go' button, the value is (or should be) posted to the
'search_results' page which does the searching and shows the results.
So, the callling page could be secure or not, and the action for the
form would be 'http:' since the "search results" page is not secure.
But what I found is that, when I do it from a non-secure page the field
goes fine, but when I do it from a secure page, the field goes blank.

Then you have to determine whether or not you are on a secure page.

<% if request.servervariables("HTTPS") = "off" then
serverswitch = "HTTPS"
else
serverswitch = "HTTP"
end if

formaction = serverswith & request.servervariables("script_name")
if request.servervariables("querystring") <> "" then
formaction = formaction & "?" & request.servervariables
("quertystring")
else
formaction = formaction
end if