Form processing

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Scott, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Hi,

    I hope someone might be able to set me straight on how to handle the
    situation described below.

    I have a page that has an email field for user input and 2 radio buttons
    (subscribe + unsubscribe) for signing up to a mailing list. What I would
    like to have happen is the following:
    The user enters an email and presses the submit button.
    At this point a new window opens (I would like to be able to specify size,
    etc rather than use _blank) to process the submission and return a reponse
    (succeeded, already subscribed, etc). The user would then close the window
    by clicking on a 'close' link in the new window.
    I would also like the form data cleared, so the user doesn't think the
    submission didn't work, despite seeing the confirmation window.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Scott

    Scott, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Scott <> wrote:
    > What I would like to have happen is the following:
    > The user enters an email and presses the submit button.
    > At this point a new window opens (I would like to be able to specify
    > size, etc rather than use _blank) to process the submission and
    > return a reponse (succeeded, already subscribed, etc).

    Couldn't you just have the form direct the user to a new page which would
    process their data and give a response? That would be much more acceptable
    and less complicated than opening a new window.

    > The user would
    > then close the window by clicking on a 'close' link in the new window.
    > I would also like the form data cleared, so the user doesn't think the
    > submission didn't work, despite seeing the confirmation window.

    This would all be solved with the new page as described above.

    > Any ideas?

    The processing certainly can't be done in HTML. For that you'll need a
    language (I highly recomend PHP) which could manage all of your data in a
    database and could also determine whether the user has already been
    subscribed and other functions.
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Michael Wilcox, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Scott

    George Self Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I hope someone might be able to set me straight on how to handle the
    > situation described below.
    >
    > I have a page that has an email field for user input and 2 radio buttons
    > (subscribe + unsubscribe) for signing up to a mailing list. What I would
    > like to have happen is the following:
    > The user enters an email and presses the submit button.
    > At this point a new window opens (I would like to be able to specify size,
    > etc rather than use _blank) to process the submission and return a reponse
    > (succeeded, already subscribed, etc). The user would then close the window
    > by clicking on a 'close' link in the new window.
    > I would also like the form data cleared, so the user doesn't think the
    > submission didn't work, despite seeing the confirmation window.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott

    Remember that many people now turn off popups (for good reason). If you
    insist on using a popup you will likely loose many potential subscribers.
    Just open a new page (as is common on the web) to indicate "success" or
    "you're already registered" or whatever.

    --George

    George Self, Nov 13, 2003