Form Query

KiwiBrian

I have customized some web site Forms for use with "Jacks Form Script" I
believe it is called.
They are all working fine.
I wish each type of form to generate a unique identifying type number.
So for example the first line received in the email that the form script
generates will be "Type 1" or for a different form "Type 2".
This will be invisible to the Form User.
I assume that this will enable the recipient of the emails to use Rules in
Outlook Express to automatically save the incoming emails into their
particular destination folder.
Am I correct, and if so how do I code the html so that the Type Number line
is added to the email but is invisible to the user/sender?

TIA
Brian Tozer

brucie

In alt.html KiwiBrian said:
I wish each type of form to generate a unique identifying type number.

the server side script will need to do that
So for example the first line received in the email that the form script
generates will be "Type 1" or for a different form "Type 2".
This will be invisible to the Form User.

I assume that this will enable the recipient of the emails to use Rules in
Outlook Express

not everyone uses a virus honey pot for an email client.
to automatically save the incoming emails into their
particular destination folder.

you have to tell the recipient what to filter for.
Am I correct, and if so how do I code the html

html emails are evil.
so that the Type Number line is added to the email but is invisible to
the user/sender?

modify the script to add an extra header to the email. something like:

x-kiwibrians-thingy:1

recipient tells the email client to look for "x-kiwibrians-thingy" in
the headers. if it exists then do whatever depending on the value of the
header.

KiwiBrian

In alt.html KiwiBrian said:
the server side script will need to do that

Yes but in my desired situation don't I need the particular Form used by the
client to identify itself to the PHP Form Handler so that the correct Type
Number is added to the sent email?

<input type="hidden">

I thought that I would use this, but am not sure what to follow it with to
tell the PHP Form Handler to add the unique Type Number for that particular
form type.

modify the script to add an extra header to the email. something like:
x-kiwibrians-thingy:1

Are you referring to me modifying the PHP Form Handler to do this?
If so, how would it allocate a different Type Number for each Form Type?
Cannot the PHP Form Handler just include in the email the hidden Type Number
that has been included in the Form sent by the client, presumably in the
next html instruction/markup following the <input type="hidden"> construct.
Presumably this would not require any alteration to the PHP Form Handler.

I appreciate the help but as you can see I am still confused.
Thanks
Brian Tozer

brucie

In alt.html KiwiBrian said:
Are you referring to me modifying the PHP Form Handler to do this?
yes

If so, how would it allocate a different Type Number for each Form Type?
Cannot the PHP Form Handler just include in the email the hidden Type Number
that has been included in the Form sent by the client, presumably in the
next html instruction/markup following the <input type="hidden"> construct.
Presumably this would not require any alteration to the PHP Form Handler.

· server receives request for form page.
· php adds identifying number in a hidden <input> and sends form page to
visitor.

or

· when visitor submits form php adds identifying number depending on
what was submitted.

· along with the normal headers sent with an email you tell your php
script to add an extra one with your identifying number.

x-type:1

· the recipient sets up their email client to look for the "x-type"
header in their emails and sets up rules to do whatever depending on the
value of the header.

KiwiBrian

"brucie">
In alt.html KiwiBrian said:
· server receives request for form page.
· php adds identifying number in a hidden <input> and sends form page to
visitor.

I think that perhaps I have made this problem seem more complex than it
really is, by not properly explaining my situation.
I have about 20 different Forms on the Server.
Each is accessed by their particular url, e.g. form1.html, or form2.html
etc.
All will be handled identically by the same PHP Form Handler when they are
returned by the client after being filed in.
I assume that want each form to contain a hidden <input> which is hardcoded
into the html.
What should I add after the <input type=hidden and before the following > so
that the text characters that are there will be included in what is sent in
the email?
Maybe it is as simple as me adding to my form the following:-

<input type=hidden Type 1>

or possibly:-

<input type=hidden name="Type 1">

I hope this has clarified my query.
Brian Tozer

brucie

In alt.html KiwiBrian said:
I think that perhaps I have made this problem seem more complex than it
really is, by not properly explaining my situation.

i can come over. i'll wear pants.
What should I add after the <input type=hidden and before the following > so
that the text characters that are there will be included in what is sent in
the email? Maybe it is as simple as me adding to my form the following:-

<input type=hidden Type 1>

icky poo

<input type="hidden" name="formtype" value="1">

· php checks when the form is submitted what the value of 'formtype' is.
· php adds extra header to the email 'x-formtype:[the value]'.

· recipients email client checks to see if the 'x-formtype' header
exists and if so performs whatever action depending on the value of the
header.

KiwiBrian

Thanks very much for the help Brucie.
Brian