<form runat=server> Tag in a MasterPage environment

Guest

I have a master page which contains a general page framework and also
contains a <form runat=server> around most of the content of the page. Inside
that <form> tag is a ContentPlaceholder.

I then create an ASPX which is tied to that MasterPage and in it a put a
bunch of form fields and an <asp:Button />. When I try to run the page, I
get...

"Control 'ctl00_BodyCPH_ctl00' of type 'Button' must be placed inside a form
tag with runat=server."

So I tried outing a form inside the ASPX page as well and I got a different
error...

"A page can have only one server-side Form tag"

So does this mean that I have to have the FORM tag inside the ASPX page and
cannot have it be in the MASTER page? That seems weird, especially because
when you use VS to create a MasterPage, it opens with a form tag already
inside it.

Guest

Does your page have a set of:

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1"
Runat="Server">
</asp:content>

tags, and are all your controls inside these? You should only have the Form
tags in the MasterPage.
Peter

Guest

Okay so I think I've figured out what my problem was but I still have a
question about it...

Here's the hierarchy of my MASTER PAGE:
<form id="MainFrm" runat="server">

<!--non-server form for some other fields...-->
<form method=get action="xyz.aspx"><!--NOTE: NOT RUNAT=SERVER-->
</form>

<asp:contentplaceholder id="BodyCPH" runat="server">
</asp:contentplaceholder>
</form>

So it turns out that this error ocurrs when I have the non runat=server
<form> INSIDE the "main" <form runat=server> that covers the whole page. If I
remove this, everything works fine.

But the problem is, I need (I like) this old-fashion HTML form inside my
master-page because it posts back to a different page and is sort of
encapsulated. Is there a way for me to keep it? And why is it a problem when
it's not a SERVER form?

Alex

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alex,

Nice to see you again:).

Regarding on the <form> issue you mentioned, here are some of my
understanding and suggestion:

Html <form> element can be put in the body of html pages and html page does
support multiple <form> elements, however they can not be nested each
other, you can find the detailed description from the W3C html
specification:

#The FORM element
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html3/forms.html

And as for ASP.NET web form page, it is based on a single server-side form
element which contains all the controls inside it, so generally we do not
recommend that we put multiple <form> elements. However, this is still
supported in ASP.NET page(master page) and I think the problem in your
master page should be caused by the unsupported nested <form> element, and
multiple <form> in the same level should be ok. e.g:

========================
<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="MForm.master.cs"
Inherits="App_Masters_MForm" %>

<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:contentplaceholder id="ContentPlaceHolder1" runat="server">
</asp:contentplaceholder>
</form>
<form id="form2" action="http://www.asp.net">
<input name="txtf2" type="text" />
</form>

==============================

In addition, if what you want to do through multiple forms is just make our
page posting to multiple pages, I think you can consider using the new
feature for cross-page posting in ASP.NET 2.0. This can help us use button
controls to postback to different pages without having multpile forms on
the page:

#Cross-Page Posting in ASP.NET Web Pages
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178139(VS.80).aspx

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178140(VS.80).aspx

Hope this helps. Please feel free to post here if there is anything else we
can help.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alex,

How are you doing on this or does my last reply helps you some? If there's
still anything we can help, please feel free to post here.