Form Submission: Final URL that has form options included ??

Jared

Hi there
I am trying to do the following with no luck:

I want to have a form with two select menus. Each menu will obvisouly
have different options, each with its own value. Then quite simply,
when the user clicks on the submit button, I want the resulting URL to
include options from the select fields ( ie: whatever the user has
selected.)

For eg: for a date URL, the final URL might be:

'http://www.comics.com/' +day+ '/' +month+ '/garfield.gif'

Hope this makes sense, and appreciate any assistance.
Thanks,
Jared

Daniel

Jared said:
Hi there
I am trying to do the following with no luck:

I want to have a form with two select menus. Each menu will obvisouly
have different options, each with its own value. Then quite simply,
when the user clicks on the submit button, I want the resulting URL to
include options from the select fields ( ie: whatever the user has
selected.)

For eg: for a date URL, the final URL might be:

'http://www.comics.com/' +day+ '/' +month+ '/garfield.gif'

Hope this makes sense, and appreciate any assistance.
Thanks,
Jared

Well, I'm not one hundred what you mean, but maybe this is useful...

You could create hidden fields to hold the values of the options selected in
your select boxes, and change their values whenever an option is clicked,
like this:

<select name="selectBoxDay" id="selectBoxDay"
onChange="this.form.day=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value;">
//options
</select>
<select name="selectBoxMonth" id="selectBoxMonth"
onChange="this.form.month=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value;">
//options
</select>

<input name="day" type="hidden" value="">
<input name="month" type="hidden" value="">

- not sure if the onChange syntax is correct, since I haven't checked it ;)

Would this help?

Daniel

Richard Hockey

This will generate the required URL pattern:

http://www.comics.com/04/05/page.htm

This will not submit the form however, so the destination page will not be
able to read any POST/GET form variables.

The call to the javascript can be placed in the form tag as an onSubmit
event, or on a button in the form as an onClick event.

<script type="text/javascript">
function ProcessForm(domain,page)
{
var formObject=document.forms['myform'];
var Select1Object=formObject.elements['select1'];
var Select1Object=formObject.elements['select2'];
var Select1Value=Select1Object.options[Select1Object.selectedIndex].value;
var Select2Value=Select2Object.options[Select2Object.selectedIndex].value;

if(Select1Value=='null')
{
return false;
}

if(Select2Value=='null')
{
return false;
}

window.location.href='http://'+domain'/'+Select1Value+'/'+Select2Value+'/'+p
age;
}
</script>

<form name="myform" action="#"
onSubmit="ProcessForm('www.comics.com','page.htm'); return false;">
<select name="select1">
<option value="null">Select day</option>
<option value="01">1</option>
<option value="31">31</option>
</select>
<select name="select2">
<option value="null">Select month</option>
<option value="01">January</option>
<option value="12">December</option>
</select>
<input type="submit" value="Go">
<input type="button" value="Go"
onClick="ProcessForm('www.comics.com','page.htm'); return false;">
</form>

Jared said:
Hi there
I am trying to do the following with no luck:

I want to have a form with two select menus. Each menu will obvisouly
have different options, each with its own value. Then quite simply,
when the user clicks on the submit button, I want the resulting URL to
include options from the select fields ( ie: whatever the user has
selected.)

For eg: for a date URL, the final URL might be:

'http://www.comics.com/' +day+ '/' +month+ '/garfield.gif'

Do you just want to generate the above URL pattern, or do you want to submit
the form variables (day, month) as well?

Markus Ernst

Jared said:
Hi there
I am trying to do the following with no luck:

I want to have a form with two select menus. Each menu will obvisouly
have different options, each with its own value. Then quite simply,
when the user clicks on the submit button, I want the resulting URL to
include options from the select fields ( ie: whatever the user has
selected.)

For eg: for a date URL, the final URL might be:

'http://www.comics.com/' +day+ '/' +month+ '/garfield.gif'

Hope this makes sense, and appreciate any assistance.
Thanks,
Jared

You could try something like (not tested):

<form name="myform" action="" method="post"
onSubmit="document.myform.action='http://www.comics.com/' +
document.myform.day.value + '/' + document.myform.month.value +
'/garfield.gif'">

I am sorry I have no time to figure this out in detail; maybe you have to
make a onClick on the submit button instead of an onSubmit in the form tag.

You can also go another way:

<form name="myform" action="http://www.comics.com/garfield.htm"
method="get">

this loads an url with a query string:
http://www.comics.com/garfield.htm?day=yourday&month=yourmonth

And you create a document garfield.htm with a script that parses the query
string and loads the appropriate gif.

hth

Jared

Thanks all for the help - using the different posts I have com up woth a solution.

Thanks again !