Form target change affecting POST-based submission behaviour

Chris Wood

Hello all!

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the following problem that I'm
experiencing on one particular Windows 98 PC running IE 6.0:

None of the input values of a HTML form are being HTTP-POSTED to the
server upon forced submission from within a JavaScript function, though
this is what the form's HTML tag defines:

<FORM name="inputform" id="inputform" action="page2.php"
method="post" target="_self" >

This seems to be occuring due to the action of changing the form's
target frame to a pop-up win, specifically as defined by the statement
document.inputform.target = 'previewpopup';
in the goPreview() function:

function goPreview() {
document.inputform.target = 'previewpopup';
previewpopupvariable = window.open('', 'previewpopup',
'toolbar=0,scrollbars=0,location=0,statusbar=0,menubar=0,
resizable=0,width=622,height=335,left = 50,top = 50');
document.inputform.submit();
document.inputform.target = '_self';
}

I think that this may be undefined behaviour in some versions of
Internet Explorer, though I can't be sure.

Thank you very much in advance if you have any ideas!

Chris Wood