Form-to-Email ASP scripts - what's the best one?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by JVRudnick, Feb 27, 2008.

  1. JVRudnick

    JVRudnick Guest

    Hey...
    thinking that I may need to upgrade my skillset when it comes to ASP based
    form-to-email scripting.

    is CDOSYS the best still on a w2k3/iis6 box?

    if so, can someone point me at the shortest, easiest to configure example
    that positively works for sure in this environment?

    i sigh, as CDONTs used to work perfectly for me and I hated that it was
    dep'd by MS....

    oh, and if CDOSYS is only one way - and maybe not the best way - is there a
    component that will work better/quicker with an easy to use install and
    config learning curve?

    oh, why do I ask...gosh...got LOTSA troubles trying to get CDOSYS to work
    efficiently on a new server...and thinking that there may be another answer
    out there...

    pointers here lads?

    Jim

    JVRudnick, Feb 27, 2008

  2. "JVRudnick" <> wrote in message
    > Hey...
    > thinking that I may need to upgrade my skillset when it comes to ASP based
    > form-to-email scripting.
    >
    > is CDOSYS the best still on a w2k3/iis6 box?
    >
    > if so, can someone point me at the shortest, easiest to configure example
    > that positively works for sure in this environment?
    >
    > i sigh, as CDONTs used to work perfectly for me and I hated that it was
    > dep'd by MS....
    >
    > oh, and if CDOSYS is only one way - and maybe not the best way - is there

    > component that will work better/quicker with an easy to use install and
    > config learning curve?
    >
    > oh, why do I ask...gosh...got LOTSA troubles trying to get CDOSYS to work
    > efficiently on a new server...and thinking that there may be another

    answer
    > out there...
    >
    > pointers here lads?

    CDOSYS is the tool to learn. Typically its already installed on Win2K3 box.

    Its pretty simple to use, especially if you have configured the mail
    settings of your website in IIS manager. The following would a be minimal
    example:-

    Dim oMsg : Set oMsg = CreateObject("CDO.Message")

    oMsg.To = "Bloke <>"
    oMsg.Subject = "Test"
    oMsg.Send

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Feb 28, 2008

  3. JVRudnick

    JVRudnick Guest

    Ah...thanks Anthony.

    However I noted one item you mentionned as "especially if you have
    configured the mail settings of your website in IIS manager..."

    Exactly what are you referring to...I don't know where you might mean for
    that?

    ?

    Jim

    PS will give that script a try too but I noted also that you made no call to
    the libraries either....or any of my own "normal" code items... ? will this
    still work then?

    JVRudnick, Feb 28, 2008
  4. "JVRudnick" <> wrote in message
    > Ah...thanks Anthony.
    >
    > However I noted one item you mentionned as "especially if you have
    > configured the mail settings of your website in IIS manager..."
    >
    > Exactly what are you referring to...I don't know where you might mean for
    > that?

    The server extensions tab of the site properties. You can define values
    which are used as default values for the configuration object on the
    CDO.Message.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Feb 28, 2008