Formatting a value (jsp - to thousands)

compaqr4000

In my jsp form I want to format a variable from something like
235522455 to 235,522,455

I am trying to format it with DecimalFormat as follows:
DecimalFormat dfThou = new DecimalFormat("###,###");
dfThou.format(infoValue(pop).value) %>"/></td>
which obviously does not work.

Here is the line prior to my formatting attempt:
property="infoValue(pop).value"/></td>

Can anyone help with the syntax?

Thanks!
Kay

Manish Pandit

In my jsp form I want to format a variable from something like
235522455 to 235,522,455

I am trying to format it with DecimalFormat as follows:
DecimalFormat dfThou = new DecimalFormat("###,###");
dfThou.format(infoValue(pop).value) %>"/></td>
which obviously does not work.

Here is the line prior to my formatting attempt:
property="infoValue(pop).value"/></td>

Can anyone help with the syntax?

Thanks!
Kay

You might want to try the fmt tag library. It is a part of JSTL.

<fmt:formatNumber value="12345678" pattern="#,###,###"/> should do it.
You can play around with other options this library provides.

-cheers,
Manish

compaqr4000

You might want to try the fmt tag library. It is a part of JSTL.

<fmt:formatNumber value="12345678" pattern="#,###,###"/> should do it.
You can play around with other options this library provides.

-cheers,
Manish

Okay, I added the format tag:
<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt" prefix="fmt" %>
but how can I change the example you displayed
<fmt:formatNumber value="12345678" pattern="#,###,###"/>
to use the jsp variable:
<bean:write name="infoForm" property="infoValue(pop).value"/>
instead of the string "12345678"?

Thanks for your patience, I'm not very strong in jsp.

Kay

Manish Pandit

Okay, I added the format tag:
<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt" prefix="fmt" %>
but how can I change the example you displayed
<fmt:formatNumber value="12345678" pattern="#,###,###"/>
to use the jsp variable:
<bean:write name="infoForm" property="infoValue(pop).value"/>
instead of the string "12345678"?

Thanks for your patience, I'm not very strong in jsp.

Kay

Once you are comfortable with basic JSP syntax, try to learn about
avoiding scriptlets. There are alternatives like EL and tag libraries
that are way easier to use, read and code. Anyway, here is what you
can do for now:

<fmt:formatNumber value="<%= however you get this value, using plain
java %>" pattern="#,###,###"/>

In your case I am guessing it'd be something like <fmt:formatNumber
value="<%=infoValue(pop).value%>" pattern="#,###,###"/>

-cheers,
Manish

Lew

Manish said:
Once you are comfortable with basic JSP syntax, try to learn about
avoiding scriptlets. There are alternatives like EL and tag libraries
that are way easier to use, read and code. Anyway, here is what you
can do for now:

<fmt:formatNumber value="<%= however you get this value, using plain
java %>" pattern="#,###,###"/>

In your case I am guessing it'd be something like
<fmt:formatNumber value="<%=infoValue(pop).value%>" pattern="#,###,###"/>

You might need a scriptlet output expression with the accessor method
explicity invoked, similar to:

<fmt:formatNumber
value="<%= infoValue(pop).getValue() %>"
pattern="#,###,###"
/>

The Struts said:
the name of the property to be accessed on the bean specified by name.
This value may be a simple, indexed, or nested property reference expression.
<http://struts.apache.org/1.3.8/struts-taglib/tlddoc/bean/write.html>

I'm not accustomed to such complicated expressions in the property attribute.
What is the corresponding element of the infoForm object? What is the
property of it that you mean to invoke?

compaqr4000

Thanks for your help and suggestions Manish and Lew. Before I go any
further I think that I need to delve a little further into what's
happening in the code, so that I can understand it better. This is
something that someone else developed and I inherited. I thought that
a quick fix might be available, but I don't understand enough yet even
to use your suggestions. Once I have a better grasp I'll post another
question!

Thanks!

Kay

Lew

Please don't top-post.

Thanks for your help and suggestions Manish and Lew. Before I go any
further I think that I need to delve a little further into what's
happening in the code, so that I can understand it better. This is
something that someone else developed and I inherited. I thought that
a quick fix might be available, but I don't understand enough yet even
to use your suggestions. Once I have a better grasp I'll post another
question!

In the meantime, give some thought to answering the questions people have
asked you.