Formatting and browser compatibility

Paul Mason

Hi folks,

I just need some advice about books/where to look about this subject.

I've got a number of happily running .NET apps that are doing the business
and have some good formatting, as long as the user is using IE. Non of
these applications are doing anything particularly special, just
straightforward navigate, add/edit and reporting functionality...no activeX
or java apps.

I've just modified one of these applications to be non-IE compliant. The
browsers in question are Firefox and Safari. This has generally been
succesful, except for some of the formatting. On the whole it isn't too
bad. Firefox and Safari both render the location of controls, labels and
buttons fairly well. The major problem is with multline text controls which
map to <textarea> input types in HTML...the controls I have are quite large
and are designed to take a lot of text. Unfortunately in Firefox and safari
they look considerably smaller in both axes and I'm not sure that these
broswer render the vectors in the <style> tag. Also I sometimes have
problems with combo box input type controls filling up the entire width of
the screen (some do, some don't....weird one this).

Any suggestions or do I (well, the users) have to live with it??

I do wish the W3C would wake up to the concept of vector graphics...it's
hardly rocket science these days!

Cheers...P

Guest

Hello

have you looked into using the Browsercap tag in the config file.
Should help with 90% of the formatting.
Except for Opera, that browser sucks. :)

Paul Mason

Hi,

I'd kind of looked at it and i see what you mean.

Just goes to show how much we take for granted in windows/linux programming.

Cheers...P