formatting clickable data output from a script.

Carl Lafferty

I am trying to come up with a way to format some data that I have a perl
script pulling from a server but I don't really know of a way to do what
I want.. What I want is something like

+---------------------+ +-------------------+
|title1* | |Info for title1 |
|title2 | | blah blah blah |
|title3 | | blah blah blah |
|title4 | | |
|title5 | | |
|etc.... | | |
| | | |
+---------------------+ +-------------------+

something like this would be my screen. I want to be able to click on
the left on a title (title1 is the one being displayed) and have the
information that my perl script generated show in the right hand window.

All this html has to be created on the fly.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

rwap

Carl said:
I am trying to come up with a way to format some data that I have a perl
script pulling from a server but I don't really know of a way to do what
I want.. What I want is something like

+---------------------+ +-------------------+
|title1* | |Info for title1 |
|title2 | | blah blah blah |
|title3 | | blah blah blah |
|title4 | | |
|title5 | | |
|etc.... | | |
| | | |
+---------------------+ +-------------------+

something like this would be my screen. I want to be able to click on
the left on a title (title1 is the one being displayed) and have the
information that my perl script generated show in the right hand window.

All this html has to be created on the fly.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

You could do this with Perl quite easily - create a template for the
page and then whenever you press the button, Perl would fill the
template with the correct information from a database (or csv file).
However, the whole page would need to be redisplayed which is not what
you want.

I think you need some JavaScript to do this - as the JavaScript can be
included within the HTML page itself - is there a better option?

Rich
www.internetbusinessangels.com

Carl Lafferty

You could do this with Perl quite easily - create a template for the
page and then whenever you press the button, Perl would fill the
template with the correct information from a database (or csv file).
However, the whole page would need to be redisplayed which is not what
you want.

I think you need some JavaScript to do this - as the JavaScript can be
included within the HTML page itself - is there a better option?
due to the nature of the original perl script that i can justify calling
it again. I need the perl script to generate whatever code is
necessary, if that is javascript then that is OK by me.

I will look into some java script solutions.

Thanks.

Carl Lafferty

Carl said:
due to the nature of the original perl script that i can justify calling
it again. I need the perl script to generate whatever code is
necessary, if that is javascript then that is OK by me.

I will look into some java script solutions.

Thanks.
OOps!! I meant to say "I can't call it again" :(