formatting <input> controls with css and/or html

schneider

Hi all,

it is quite easy to customize the look of <input type="text" />.
Making it flat with style="border: 1px solid black" for example. But
flat textboxes do not look good next to standard checkboxes. So how
can you customize the look of checkboxes using css and/or html? Is
there a way to "flatten" the checkbox field like it is possible with
textboxes?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Hannes

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):
it is quite easy to customize the look of <input type="text" />.

Substitute "too" for "quite".
Making it flat with style="border: 1px solid black" for example.

So now you messed things up, didn't you?
But flat textboxes do not look good next to standard checkboxes.

So you you want to create a bigger mess, right?
Is there a way to "flatten" the checkbox field like it is possible with
textboxes?

Probably not, but you could try throwing some random CSS settings at them.

schneider

Jukka said:
Scripsit (e-mail address removed):

Substitute "too" for "quite".

Why not substitute "Substitute 'too' for 'quite'" for ""!
So now you messed things up, didn't you?

I don't think so.
So you you want to create a bigger mess, right?

Far from it!
Probably not, but you could try throwing some random CSS settings at them.

If I had succeeded in trying this, you wouldn't have had the
opportunity to post your ingenious comments. Don't you have to say
something meaningful about the issue?

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):
Don't you have to say
something meaningful about the issue?

Unlike you, I do. You seem to have decided to ignore the advice and try
hitting your head on the wall harder.

Maybe I should have been more explicit: what you are trying to accomplish is
just stupid, so it doesn't really matter much that you can't reach it. If
you had explained what the _real_ problem is (i.e. why do you think you need
to obfuscate readonly fields) and illustrated it with a URL, you would
probably have a real solution available by now. I'm afraid your arrogance
now made you lose such an opportunity.

schneider

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):

Unlike you, I do. You seem to have decided to ignore the advice and try
hitting your head on the wall harder.
Sorry, but I couldn't find any advice.

Maybe I should have been more explicit: what you are trying to accomplish is
just stupid, so it doesn't really matter much that you can't reach it.
If you think customizing controls is stupid then please try to
convince me why. Comments like 'So you messed things up, right?'
neither convince me of deterring my plans nor do they help me in
realising these plans.
If you had explained what the _real_ problem is (i.e. why do you think you need
to obfuscate readonly fields)
The _real_ problem is that I want to customize the look of checkboxes.
Not the caption but the little box where the hook is in when it is
selected. Nothing more and nothing less. Aside from that, sometimes
people's motives for trying certain things (as customizing checkboxes
in my case) are simply and sadly corporate guidelines on which they
have no influence.
and illustrated it with a URL, you would
probably have a real solution available by now.
I have one now. Posted by JH in a helpful and neutral way.
I'm afraid your arrogance
now made you lose such an opportunity.
After re-reading my first reply I must admit that perhaps my words
sounded a bit offensive. That was not my intention and I'm sorry for
that. But you must confess that your post didn't contain much helpful
information either.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):
The _real_ problem is that I want to customize the look of checkboxes.

If that's all, then the real solution is real simple: stop wanting that.

If you don't understand why that's the solution, then you have somehow
missed the section on basic web site usability when you read a textbook on
web design. Or maybe you didn't ever read one.

HTH. HAND.