    Cheers,

    Hannes
    , Feb 1, 2007

  2. Scripsit :

    > it is quite easy to customize the look of <input type="text" />.

    Substitute "too" for "quite".

    > Making it flat with style="border: 1px solid black" for example.

    So now you messed things up, didn't you?

    > But flat textboxes do not look good next to standard checkboxes.

    So you you want to create a bigger mess, right?

    > Is there a way to "flatten" the checkbox field like it is possible with
    > textboxes?

    Probably not, but you could try throwing some random CSS settings at them.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 1, 2007

    Jukka K. Korpela schrieb:

    > Scripsit :
    >
    > > it is quite easy to customize the look of <input type="text" />.

    > Substitute "too" for "quite".

    Why not substitute "Substitute 'too' for 'quite'" for ""!

    > > Making it flat with style="border: 1px solid black" for example.

    > So now you messed things up, didn't you?

    I don't think so.

    > > But flat textboxes do not look good next to standard checkboxes.

    > So you you want to create a bigger mess, right?

    Far from it!

    > > Is there a way to "flatten" the checkbox field like it is possible with
    > > textboxes?

    > Probably not, but you could try throwing some random CSS settings at them.

    If I had succeeded in trying this, you wouldn't have had the
    opportunity to post your ingenious comments. Don't you have to say
    something meaningful about the issue?

    > --
    > Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    , Feb 2, 2007
  4. Scripsit :

    > Don't you have to say
    > something meaningful about the issue?

    Unlike you, I do. You seem to have decided to ignore the advice and try
    hitting your head on the wall harder.

    Maybe I should have been more explicit: what you are trying to accomplish is
    just stupid, so it doesn't really matter much that you can't reach it. If
    you had explained what the _real_ problem is (i.e. why do you think you need
    to obfuscate readonly fields) and illustrated it with a URL, you would
    probably have a real solution available by now. I'm afraid your arrogance
    now made you lose such an opportunity.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 2, 2007
  5. JH Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > it is quite easy to customize the look of <input type="text" />.
    > Making it flat with style="border: 1px solid black" for example. But

    Doing a quick search on Google gives us this site:

    http://www.brainerror.net/scripts_js_checkbox.php

    Images and Javascript solution. It wont work if you have javascript turned
    off.
    JH, Feb 2, 2007

    On 2 Feb., 10:12, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > Scripsit :
    >
    > > Don't you have to say
    > > something meaningful about the issue?

    > Unlike you, I do. You seem to have decided to ignore the advice and try
    > hitting your head on the wall harder.

    Sorry, but I couldn't find any advice.

    > Maybe I should have been more explicit: what you are trying to accomplish is
    > just stupid, so it doesn't really matter much that you can't reach it.

    If you think customizing controls is stupid then please try to
    convince me why. Comments like 'So you messed things up, right?'
    neither convince me of deterring my plans nor do they help me in
    realising these plans.

    > If you had explained what the _real_ problem is (i.e. why do you think you need
    > to obfuscate readonly fields)

    The _real_ problem is that I want to customize the look of checkboxes.
    Not the caption but the little box where the hook is in when it is
    selected. Nothing more and nothing less. Aside from that, sometimes
    people's motives for trying certain things (as customizing checkboxes
    in my case) are simply and sadly corporate guidelines on which they
    have no influence.

    > and illustrated it with a URL, you would
    > probably have a real solution available by now.

    I have one now. Posted by JH in a helpful and neutral way.

    > I'm afraid your arrogance
    > now made you lose such an opportunity.

    After re-reading my first reply I must admit that perhaps my words
    sounded a bit offensive. That was not my intention and I'm sorry for
    that. But you must confess that your post didn't contain much helpful
    information either.
    , Feb 6, 2007

    On 2 Feb., 15:16, "JH" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi all,

    > > it is quite easy to customize the look of <input type="text" />.
    > > Making it flat with style="border: 1px solid black" for example. But

    > Doing a quick search on Google gives us this site:
    >
    > http://www.brainerror.net/scripts_js_checkbox.php
    >
    > Images and Javascript solution. It wont work if you have javascript turned
    > off.

    Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I was looking for.
    , Feb 6, 2007
  8. Scripsit :

    > The _real_ problem is that I want to customize the look of checkboxes.

    If that's all, then the real solution is real simple: stop wanting that.

    If you don't understand why that's the solution, then you have somehow
    missed the section on basic web site usability when you read a textbook on
    web design. Or maybe you didn't ever read one.

    HTH. HAND.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/