Formatting of text from a form when submitted via "mailto"

Robin

I have set up a form with some basic input data, e.g. Name, Address,
Telephone number and a few selections from drop-down menus; and a submit
button.
I am using "mailto" to send the contents of the form when completed to an
e-mail address; however I want the information from the form to be formatted
in a particular way in the e-mails that are submitted. Can someone point me
in the right direction here.
Thanks

Mike

Lee

Robin said:
I have set up a form with some basic input data, e.g. Name, Address,
Telephone number and a few selections from drop-down menus; and a submit
button.
I am using "mailto" to send the contents of the form when completed to an
e-mail address; however I want the information from the form to be formatted
in a particular way in the e-mails that are submitted. Can someone point me
in the right direction here.

The right direction is to not use mailto.
You have no control over it, and it might not work for many of your users.

Submit your form to a server-side script that formats the information and
mails it to you, *if* the form doesn't contain any information that your
users wouldn't want to send through email. Otherwise, submit it securely
to a server-side script that stores it on the server for you to retrieve
via a secure method.

Robin

Thanks for the help. I am not really advanced enough to deal with
server-side scripts etc.... I was hoping that there would be a way through
JS. What I did manage to do is take the information from the form and when
the user presses the submit button, the information is extracted using a
function and "document.write" and formatted on the web page how I want it;
however, I now need to be able to e-mail that information as it apprears
back to me without having to delve into scripting. It there a way to do
this, i.e. e-mail the text result on a web page?

Randy Webb

Robin said the following on 12/16/2005 12:34 AM:
Thanks for the help. I am not really advanced enough to deal with
server-side scripts etc.... I was hoping that there would be a way through
JS.

There isn't.
What I did manage to do is take the information from the form and when
the user presses the submit button, the information is extracted using a
function and "document.write" and formatted on the web page how I want it;
however, I now need to be able to e-mail that information as it apprears
back to me without having to delve into scripting. It there a way to do
this, i.e. e-mail the text result on a web page?

No. Well, short of submitting a form and having the server send the
email. Other than that, anything you try will fail.

--
Randy
Question: Why?